“Review from a Business Travel Agent”
Review of Hotel du Vin

Hotel du Vin
Reviewed 17 March 2014 via mobile

I stayed with my husband for our anniversary and a getaway from the kids! Was the prefect tonic!
Being a business travel agent I know good service and have stayed in many hotels.
The room was fabulous and made the stay! We stayed in Laurent Perrier which is a river view suite duplex with the top room being the bathroom alone! Two beautiful roll too baths with views of the Thames! In particular we loved the balcony bath with views over the Thames! Stunning and very relaxing! The hotel bar and restaurant is gorgeous and to the standard of a hotel du vin! Service was fantastic.
There was a slight problem with our good but this was sorted immediately and we were not made to feel uncomfortable.
If we get the opportunity to return we most defiantly will!
I would definitely recommend the upgrade of room every time!!
Henley in Thames is gorgeous and we ate in the angel for lunch which was delicious!!

Thank you Henley on Thames!

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
HotelDuVinHenley, Manager at Hotel du Vin, responded to this reviewResponded 28 March 2014

Dear Jenifriend,

Thank you also for taking the time to post this review of your recent stay with us. We continue to focus on standards in the hotel, particularly regarding excellence of service. To have positive feedback is terrific, and I will let the team know that they have done a great job.

I am also pleased that you enjoyed the room so much – our river suites are gorgeous, and the baths on the balconies are certainly one of my favourite features in the hotel!

We hope to see you back again in Henley in the near future.

There are newer reviews for Hotel du Vin

Reviewed 17 March 2014

I stayed at the Hotel du Vin in Henley with a friend. After a brief tour of the hotel we settled into our spacious, comfortable and quiet room. I liked the bright airy spaces with classic décor. The bathroom was the highlight of the room with large free standing bath and separate huge shower. We sampled a cocktail at the bar and enjoyed a lovely breakfast the next morning. Henley is a very pretty town and I would definitely return.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Marianna N,

Thank you for your review of your stay at the Hotel du Vin in Henley. I am delighted that you had such a good stay with us, and we certainly hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future.

Please do let us know directly if you do plan to return and we will do our best to make your return stay even more special.

Reviewed 14 March 2014

I recently stayed at the Hotel du Vin, Henley, and I was very impressed. The room was spacious and clean and the finishing touches, such as stand alone bath in the bathroom, were exceptional. The staff were courteous, helpful and efficient. The cocktails in the bar at night were great, with a good atmosphere, and the breakfast in the morning was delicious too. I would definitely stay again and would recommend the hotel to anyone looking to stay in Henley.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Ann1052014,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your stay at the Hotel du Vin in Henley. I am thrilled that you had such a good experience with us; we have been working hard to deliver a much improved bar and restaurant product, so I will certainly relay your kind comments back to the team.

We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed 12 March 2014

We paid for a junior suite. Large room and bathroom but no window to look out of. Unbelievably noisy in the evening. There was a dj and party music just the other side of our room. Hotel gave me a small refund when I complained in the morning but we wanted a quiet room.

No plans to return

Room Tip: Try another hotel!
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank SurreyGourmeT

Dear SurreyGourmeT,

Thank you for your feedback on your stay at the Hotel du Vin in Henley.

First of all let me apologise for your experience here; when events are planned in the hotel we do our best to allocate rooms accordingly, so I am extremely sorry that you were disturbed during your stay. If notified we would have done our best to resolve this for you on the evening, either by moving you to a different room or by speaking to the party concerned.

If you do decide make a return visit to our hotel, please do let me know directly, and I will ensure that your return experience is a flawless one.

Reviewed 10 March 2014 via mobile

Came to Henley on Thames for a recent weekend away and stayed in the hotel du vin. We enjoyed it very much, the staff were great. We had a few drinks in the bar area which is very smart indeed. We ate out so can't comment on the food but overall it left us with a great impression and we shall come back here again I feel.

Stayed: March 2014
HotelDuVinHenley, Manager at Hotel du Vin, responded to this reviewResponded 12 March 2014

Dear Breaking Brunch,

Thank you also for taking the time to post this review of your recent stay with us. We continue to focus on standards in the hotel, particularly regarding excellence of service. To have positive feedback is terrific, and I will let the team know that they have done a great job!

If you do visit us again, please do contact us directly so that we can do everything in our power to make your return visit a special one.

Reviewed 4 March 2014

Great food and lovely location but very expensive and room was shabby. First room offered to us had a pile of fag ends on the window sill and it smelt accordingly. Seemed to be where staff hid their smoking materials and hadn't bothered to clean up. They then offered us two rooms each with their bathrooms up a flight of steep stairs away from bedroom ( converted listed building so not that surprising but at this price (£700 for a weekend completely unacceptable ) they finally offered us a sensible room but a lot of messing about on my partners birthday and left a nasty taste behind. No reduction or sweetener to compensate for the hassle caused. The room had damaged paintwork and needed a considerable amount of 'tarting' up to bring it up to standard. I won't stay at this chain again. That said bed was comfy and hotel had lots of character.

Room Tip: Stay elsewhere
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
HotelDuVinHenley, Manager at Hotel du Vin, responded to this reviewResponded 14 March 2014

Dear 186338SimoneP,

Thank you for your review of your stay at the Hotel du Vin in Henley. I am sorry that you felt that the standards of the hotel let you down on this occasion. Unfortunately, as this stay was 6 months ago we may have a little trouble identifying the cause of the issues that you have mentioned, but we do nevertheless welcome all feedback.

I can, however, reassure you that the hotel staff certainly do not smoke on the premises, and that we are constantly running a preventative maintenance programme to identify problems such as damaged paintwork. As you have noted, the age of the building and its previous life as a brewery do imbue a lot of character, though some guests may not always find all rooms to their tastes.

Reviewed 4 March 2014

We have been to this hotel several times in the last few years, for business, for lunches and suppers, for family parties and overnight stays. We've also visited many of their other hotels. But we won't be returning. On arrival the reception smelt very unpleasantly of vomit. The first room we were offered was dark and tiny, we finally settled for room number three. Why don't hotels offer the best in category as a standard procedure? Who wants to waste time traipsing round the hotel? The bar area was packed with a hen afternoon tea party so we went for a walk round Henley and had a coffee in Maison Blanc instead. The bar was also packed when we went for a pre supper drink. There was a very large private party in who eventually went through to a private room for dinner. Why couldn't the hotel serve them drinks there also? It meant all the other guests were very cramped. Supper was the real disappointment, particularly as we've always loved the food at this hotel. The wait staff were very sweet but very young and service was slow. The young trainee sommelier was keen and helpful but not familiar with the wine list, surely the whole point? On a happier note,the beds in these hotels are always very comfortable and we slept well after the staff had asked other guests (maybe the private party?) to turn the music down. Breakfast in the room was also poor, stewed cold coffee and one tiny jug of milk,not enough for two. The chair in the room is stained and dirty. So, a real disappointment. I can only think that the private equity owners are cutting costs? The vision, quality, quirkiness and reliability of the original Hotel du Vin brand just isn't there. The founders wouldn't recognise the place. What a shame. Let's hope that Firmdale expand out of London, they'd do brilliantly!

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sue F

Dear Sue F,

Thank you for your feedback on your stay at the Hotel du Vin in Henley.

First of all let me apologise for your experience here; I will be addressing it immediately with all staff who were involved, and I will personally be undertaking retraining of front of house team to focus on these points. As you have noted, we do have a large number of new starters in the business, but this is no excuse for failing to meet our standards of hospitality.

My absolute priority in this role is to elevate the level of our customer service to excellent, and to infuse a culture of passion in the product. As such, your feedback is invaluable,

Helen Blower

Also consider these accommodations in or near Henley-on-Thames
The Catherine Wheel
#7 of 8 in Henley-on-Thames
The Baskerville
The Baskerville
#1 of 1 in Shiplake

Been to Hotel du Vin? Share your experiences!