“Very comfortable but some flaws”
Review of Hotel du Vin

Hotel du Vin
London, United Kingdom
“Very comfortable but some flaws”
Reviewed 16 June 2014

We stayed in a suite in June. The room was exceptional with two roll-top baths (one indoor, one outdoor) and a terrific shower. The bed was very comfortable and the room was generally peaceful. We had dinner which was good but not to the standard of previous meals I have had at HdVs.

The main reason this receives an average rating is for the price the HdV misses out on some important details that you would expect to be covered, namely:

- On check in we weren't even asked if we would like our bags to be taken. I usually carry my own bags but not to be asked was odd especially as we were stating two floors up with no lift. This is just a basic detail.
- I would expect a turn-down service for the price
- Limited options for breakfast in bed. If you want any form of cooked breakfast you have to eat downstairs. Again for the price I would expect breakfast in bed to be an option.

I would also echo the comments about the £15 parking service. Given that the HdV in Winchester, a city that is less parking friendly than Henley, has free onsite parking I would expect parking to be free.

We had a very enjoyable and comfortable stay but just think HdVs are poor value for money, therefore this will be the last time for the forseeable future we will be staying with them.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Andrew M
Phil C, General Manager at Hotel du Vin, responded to this review, 22 June 2014
Thank you for sharing your feedback following your recent stay and I am sorry that certain elements of your stay did not meet your expectations. I am however pleased that you enjoyed your room and the facilities within.

I have addressed the points you have raised with my management team in order that they can return to their teams and complete the necessary training and attention to detail requirements that we as a brand take pride in offering, such as a porter to take you luggage for you. I am very sorry that these touches were not evident when you stayed but am confident that we will return to our usual consistently high service levels that the vast majority of our guests enjoy.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to post your review and I hope to be able to welcome you back at some point soon.

Phil Cox

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (159)
Surrey
Reviewed 1 June 2014 via mobile

Positives - check in easy and welcome very professional, room was lovely, nice size and v clean. Valet parking is available but£15 pn and only option.
Negatives - service at breakfast was v poor didn't appear to have enough staff even though only half full. Took 30 mins to take order and then my wife had shell in eggs when arrived. Refund given but left poor impression on departure.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank tallbloke1
Phil C, General Manager at Hotel du Vin, responded to this review, 22 June 2014
Thank you for sharing your feedback following your recent stay and I am pleased that overall you had an enjoyable time with us. I am of course very sorry that breakfast was not up to our usual high standards though and that it marred your experience. I can assure you that this has been addressed with the breakfast team and more focus is now being made in regards to speed of service and attentiveness in the Bistro.

I do hope that you will have the opportunity to return to Hotel du Vin Henley again soon.

Henley-on-Thames, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 May 2014

Went there tonight and we are regulars. Food was fantastic and service was great. Jerry and Betty are two of the best waiters we have ever come across. So friendly and attentive.
I'm having a party there next week.Lets hope it comes off well!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Phil C, General Manager at Hotel du Vin, responded to this review, 22 June 2014
Thank you for such a positive review and I am really pleased that you have had such an enjoyable experience and were looked after so well by Jerry and Betti.

I hope to be able to welcome you back soon.

London
Reviewed 14 May 2014

Overall we had a nice stay.

We stayed here for a Sunday night over a bank holiday weekend on one of their promotions. We were warmly welcomed and shown to our room. Our room was very large, the bedding crisp and fresh and the bed comfortable. The bathroom had a roll top bath and a large walk in shower and the water was lovely and hot. The bathroom needed a shelf or cupboard to put wash bags/toiletries in.

The hotel is near shops, restaurants and of course the river.

We used their car park, which at £15 per night seemed a bit high given that the car was parked under the hotel, but it saved hunting for a parking space.

The bar area is nicely done, but when we went to find a table to sit down at most of them had empty glasses left on them, this made the place look and feel rather tatty. The same with the smoking den, the same glasses were left there from late afternoon to late evening and the table was messy.

Our dinner in the restaurant was good.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank LittleTLondon
Phil C, General Manager at Hotel du Vin, responded to this review, 22 June 2014
Thank you for posting your review on Trip Advisor and I am pleased to read that overall you had an enjoyable stay and a good Bistro experience. I am sorry though that you were let down by the bar team not clearing the tables effectively enough and I can assure you that this has been addressed with my Bar and Bistro manager so that training can be instigated with the bar team to ensure there is no repetition.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to share your feedback and I hope to welcome you back to Hotel du Vin Henley again soon.

Eindhoven, The Netherlands
Reviewed 14 May 2014 via mobile

Like its sister hotels, Malmaison, Hotels du Vin go for a relaxed, trendy feel with slightly quirky style. Often they are clever conversions of old buildings. The Henley Hotel du Vin is no exception being a converted brewery. The location is very good, in the centre of Henley close to the river and convenient for most things in the town.

Our room was very nice , built around the shape of the building. So the bathroom was at the end of a short passageway with a slightly inconvenient step just as you leave the bedroom area. A small night light might be a good idea to avoid a trip If you get up to go to bathroom in the dark. I used the light on my phone!

The room was well thought out with everything you could want and the bed was comfortable ensuring a good nights sleep. One small thing, the bed was of a design where the mattress sits inside a wide wooden frame which protrudes around the whole of the bed. I have encountered this design before. They look very nice and this one was in keeping with the style of the room. However, the protruding wooden corners are at the perfect height to bite the shins of the unwary - so go carefully!

Slightly disappointing that there was no complimentary water in the room. Tap water or expensive mineral water from the mini bar were available but in my experience most hotels of this quality provide at least a small bottle of complimentary water on the room each day.

Bathroom was nicely done with possibly the best rain shower I have ever enjoyed.

The bar and bistro were very nicely done and sympathetically incorporated into the old building - with the wine theme of the hotel prominent throughout.

Breakfast was excellent - the usual buffet but the hot choices were freshly cooked to order and the eggs Benedict was very good.

Definitely would be our choice if staying in the area again.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank TerryBanham
Phil C, General Manager at Hotel du Vin, responded to this review, 22 June 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback and I am pleased to read that overall you enjoyed your stay with us and that you had an excellent breakfast.

I have taken on board the points you have raisedm about the bedroom and the facilities and these will be raised at our next brand standards meeting for discussion. Similarly the inclusion of a night light and the protruding borders around the bed will be discussed at our forthcoming refurbishment meeting.

Thank you for raising these points and I do hope to be able to welcome you back to Hotel du Vin Henley again soon.

Kent
Reviewed 4 May 2014

We stayed for one night in late March. This coincided with Mother's Day, a wedding and boat races, so it was rather busy, which may account for some of the mixed service we experienced.

The hotel is in a great location, close to the river, and it is an interesting conversion. Our room felt rather smaller than similar rooms where we've stayed in other HdV locations, but it was comfortable and stylish, and I imagine that the design was driven by what the conversion allowed. The bathroom was spacious though.

We found the service to be a bit short of the usual high standards of HdV. We had to wait an hour after we'd ordered for our starters to arrive for dinner, and the restaurant was not particularly busy.

Overall, it was a good hotel, but doesn't rank as my favourite HvD location.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MourneGirl
Phil C, General Manager at Hotel du Vin, responded to this review, 22 June 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback on Trip Advisor.

Firstly may I apologise for the shortcomings you experienced and I am sorry that this marred your overall enjoyment. I can assure you that since your stay we have addressed the issues you have raised so that our service levels have returned back to the high quality levels we pride ourselves on delivering.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to post your review and I hope to be able to welcome you back to Hotel du Vin Henley again soon.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 April 2014

I have used the Cambridge hotel and a trip to visit friends in Henley gave us the opportunity to try the Henley hotel.
We were warmly welcomed by lovely staff and were appointed to a good room in the mews. The bed was amazing and the linen and comfort were among the best I have enjoyed. They were also very accommodating and thoughtful about our small dog. But there were no tea making facilities and just a fancy espresso machine that had a limited selection of one of each of each type - so one decaf. And only providing a thimble sized amount unless you selected large cup (but they only provided espresso cups!) and as I say no tea. Reception gave us decaf but we really are tea drinkers. Breakfast was excellent quality, great produce albeit it a little greasy. I hate food waste and a basket of toast was plonked in front of us, mixed brown and white which looked like shop bought. I always judge a hotel by its love of bread and eggs. And the white toast was wasted as no one had asked us what we wanted. It was cold before the breakfast came. I believe that eggs should only be cooked by people who truly love eggs. We both had two eggs each and all four were with hard yolks.
A good hotel spoiled by little things which at that price (plus a supplement to park our car) simply should not happen. The shame is that we would try somewhere else next time which means we will miss the excellent reception staff and the lovely bed.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Dan D
Phil C, General Manager at Hotel du Vin, responded to this review, 22 June 2014
Thank you for sharing your feedback following your stay in April.

I am sorry that you did not locate the kettle, mugs and selection of teas in your bedroom and likewise that your eggs were not cooked to your liking at breakfast. I have adressed the points you have raised with my reception manager and head chef so that the room facilities can be more clearly pointed out on arrival and that the cooking of the breakfast items can return to our usual high standards.

I do hope that this experience will not deter you from visiting Hotel du Vin Henleym again in the future.

Phil Cox
Also consider these accommodations in or near Henley-on-Thames
The Catherine Wheel
#1 of 1 in Stoke Row
Phyllis Court Club
Phyllis Court Club
#5 of 8 in Henley-on-Thames

Been to Hotel du Vin? Share your experiences!