“Fantastic hotel”

Hotel du Vin
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Fantastic hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2014

Wonderful and very individual hotel, ideal for a romantic get away.

In the heart of Henley near some great restaurants and the river Thames.

Restaurant and bar are great with a wide choice. Can be slightly expensive but well worth the treat

Room Tip: Pay the extra for one of the amazing suites. No pool or fitness centre though.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Phil C, General Manager at Hotel du Vin, responded to this review, 1 July 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback following your recent stay at Hotel du Vin Henley.

I am really pleased that you had such an enjoyable time and I hope you will have the opportunity to return soon.

Phil Cox

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (157)
Royal Tunbridge Wells, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2014

We stayed for a Saturday night (14th June) which unfortunateley coincided with a large Wedding reception being held in the evening.Our room overlooked the Court yard and was very noisy into the early hours of the morning ( we had a disturbed nights sleep).
The extractor fan in the loo did not work and as the room was at the top of what looked like a converted staple block the ventilation was poor,smelly,hot and stuffy.The windows did not open sufficiently..We have stayed at other HDV so this was a bit disappointing.
We did however have an excellent meal in the Bistro that evening and although the resteraunt was busy the staff gave a very good service.
On checking out we were not asked how our stay was and I got the impression that the young staff on the desk just wanted to process us out.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Phil C, General Manager at Hotel du Vin, responded to this review, 29 June 2014
Thank you for sharing your feedback following your recent stay in Henley. I am pleased to read that you had an enjoyable evening in the Bistro and that the staff were efficient and attentive, but, I am really sorry to hear that you had a disturbed night due to the other guests making noise in the courtyard. The team keep regular checks on guests using the courtyard in the evening in order to keep noise to a minimum and if they encounter excessive noise they ask that the courtyard is cleared. I am sorry that when you stayed it appears the guests were not managed as effectively as they should have been.

I do not normally hear negative comments about the ventilation in any of the bedrooms given that all rooms are individually air conditioned, but I will ensure that my maintenance manager checks that the extraction and air conditioning units are working correctly.

I do hope that these points will not deter you from returning to Hotel du Vin Henley at some time in the future.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2014 via mobile

We stayed at HdV Henley for one night as part of a larger wedding party and had a brilliant experience in this converted brewery near the banks of the Thames. Because the ceremony started early afternoon we had to face the usual palava of dropping bags and getting changed but the staff were so accommodating and stored bags and let us check in early which was a godsend.
Room wise it was HUGE and had loads of interesting features, unlike so many chain hotels nowadays. The walk in shower was literally as big as most hotel rooms.
But the best thing about our stay was undoubtedly the service - nothing was too much trouble, whether it was keeping the bar open late for post wedding revellers, getting taxis ordered, checking in early, or organising an extra bed in our room.
Will definitely be staying again next time we're in Henley

Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Phil C, General Manager at Hotel du Vin, responded to this review, 29 June 2014
Thank you for taking the time to post such a positive review following your recent stay at Hotel du Vin Henley and I am really pleased to read that the team did such a good job ensuring you had an enjoyable stay.

I hope you have the opportunity to stay with us again soon.

Wellington, New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2014

The redevlopment of the old brewery building into a top-end hotel has been very successful. The room we had was very spacious and beautifully appointed and, being at the back of the building overlooking the old cemetery, very quiet. But it's a rabbit's warren to get up to your rooms, up and down stairs, especially if you have quite a bit of luggage to move (as there's no lift). It's quite pricey, especially in the bar and the bistro, let alone the room rate, and the service wasn't what I expected. We had arrived early, were able to leave our luggage with them, and were asked to be back at 3pm to check-in. At 3.15 reception still couldn't track down house-keeping to confirm if our room was ready, so we went out again until 4.30. But, we had a great weekend in Henley and would love to go back again.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Phil C, General Manager at Hotel du Vin, responded to this review, 22 June 2014
Thank you for your feedback following your recent stay in Henley and I am pleased to read that you had an enjoyable stay despite the delay in being able to check you in to your room on arrival for which I am very sorry for this inconvenience.

I do hope that you will have the opportunity yo return to Hotel du Vin Henley again soon.

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2014

We stayed in a suite in June. The room was exceptional with two roll-top baths (one indoor, one outdoor) and a terrific shower. The bed was very comfortable and the room was generally peaceful. We had dinner which was good but not to the standard of previous meals I have had at HdVs.

The main reason this receives an average rating is for the price the HdV misses out on some important details that you would expect to be covered, namely:

- On check in we weren't even asked if we would like our bags to be taken. I usually carry my own bags but not to be asked was odd especially as we were stating two floors up with no lift. This is just a basic detail.
- I would expect a turn-down service for the price
- Limited options for breakfast in bed. If you want any form of cooked breakfast you have to eat downstairs. Again for the price I would expect breakfast in bed to be an option.

I would also echo the comments about the £15 parking service. Given that the HdV in Winchester, a city that is less parking friendly than Henley, has free onsite parking I would expect parking to be free.

We had a very enjoyable and comfortable stay but just think HdVs are poor value for money, therefore this will be the last time for the forseeable future we will be staying with them.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Andrew M
Phil C, General Manager at Hotel du Vin, responded to this review, 22 June 2014
Thank you for sharing your feedback following your recent stay and I am sorry that certain elements of your stay did not meet your expectations. I am however pleased that you enjoyed your room and the facilities within.

I have addressed the points you have raised with my management team in order that they can return to their teams and complete the necessary training and attention to detail requirements that we as a brand take pride in offering, such as a porter to take you luggage for you. I am very sorry that these touches were not evident when you stayed but am confident that we will return to our usual consistently high service levels that the vast majority of our guests enjoy.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to post your review and I hope to be able to welcome you back at some point soon.

Surrey
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2014 via mobile

Positives - check in easy and welcome very professional, room was lovely, nice size and v clean. Valet parking is available but£15 pn and only option.
Negatives - service at breakfast was v poor didn't appear to have enough staff even though only half full. Took 30 mins to take order and then my wife had shell in eggs when arrived. Refund given but left poor impression on departure.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank tallbloke1
Phil C, General Manager at Hotel du Vin, responded to this review, 22 June 2014
Thank you for sharing your feedback following your recent stay and I am pleased that overall you had an enjoyable time with us. I am of course very sorry that breakfast was not up to our usual high standards though and that it marred your experience. I can assure you that this has been addressed with the breakfast team and more focus is now being made in regards to speed of service and attentiveness in the Bistro.

I do hope that you will have the opportunity to return to Hotel du Vin Henley again soon.

Henley-on-Thames, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 May 2014

Went there tonight and we are regulars. Food was fantastic and service was great. Jerry and Betty are two of the best waiters we have ever come across. So friendly and attentive.
I'm having a party there next week.Lets hope it comes off well!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Phil C, General Manager at Hotel du Vin, responded to this review, 22 June 2014
Thank you for such a positive review and I am really pleased that you have had such an enjoyable experience and were looked after so well by Jerry and Betti.

I hope to be able to welcome you back soon.

Phil Cox
Also consider these accommodations in or near Henley-on-Thames
The Catherine Wheel
#1 of 1 in Stoke Row
Phyllis Court Club
Phyllis Court Club
#6 of 8 in Henley-on-Thames

Been to Hotel du Vin? Share your experiences!