“fab boutique hotel”
Review of Hotel du Vin

Hotel du Vin
Reviewed 13 July 2009

i stayed in the outdoor quarters so don't know what the interior rooms are like but mine was great. all mod cons, a great walk in shower in the room, a roll top bath (in the same open plan room) too.
great food, excellent wine choices and really friendly staff

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled on business

Reviewed 12 July 2009

We booked last minute by phone, stayed in a room at back of hotel above pool room. We had a room with shower over bath, room was large and with a very large comfy bed.
Service was also very good, just a small queue when leaving sunday morning, but dealt with very efficiently by staff.
We had a faulty tv, called down to reception to query and they arrived with a new tv in minutes and hooked it all up, very impressed. Only criticism was our window was by air con unit which was very noisy, which is reason for four not five. No noise from any other rooms and there was a wedding party either side.
We paid for parking at the hotel, it didnt seem worth trying to find a space, made our lifes much easier and leaving swift.

Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 June 2009

We booked into HdV Henley on their special Sunday night offer, room for £10 as long as you spend £75 in the restaurant. There weren't any £10 rooms left for when we wanted to go but we splashed out on a £20 room and it was fantastic. Although, had a surprise when we got there as we discovered that you had to pay £15 for secure car parking which we were not advised of at time of booking. Having resigned ourselves to paying this, we managed to spawn a space on the road and fed the meter on Monday morning, all of 40p. Bit annoying to get somewhere and not realise there is nowhere to park so just be prepared. The room, as you can see from our photos was fantastic, usual HdV standards. We had a few problems explaining to the barman that we wanted to sit outside with a bottle of wine and to take it through to our dinner later on as he did not seem to have a clue about the deal we were there on. And when it came to dinner we both thought that service was a bit lax for usual HdV standards. Finished items were left on the table, generally staff were not very attentive. We ordered ourselves petit dejeuner in the morning (not wanting to sound like Michael Winner too much but they forgot the jam which was a bit annoying-having to nip out to the breakfast area in my dressing gown to get some!). All in all a nice stay in a nice enough place (although I bet its rammed during Regatta week), though the hotel itself is located on a very busy road and from our room the sound of the traffic was pretty full on in the morning.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 June 2009

I walked into reception expecting a warm greeting but the receptionist barely looked up from the computer. This annoyed my straight away as I think that with a hotel of this standard, you should be made to feel welcome. I had booked their special standard room internet rate of £79 but was still expecting a nice room, something a bit different as the hotel used to be a brewery and the photos on the website were very promising. The receptionist said that I needed to pay for my room on departure which again annoyed me as I had already paid when making the booking. There was no apology from her when she realised she had made a mistake. She showed me to my room and I was immediately disappointed, I could have been in any hotel. To give her credit she did speak to her boss after I expressed my disappointment and I did eventually get a really nice room (Champagne Gosset) which had a stunning view of the river. I just wish that she had allocated me that room in the first place. I asked why she hadn't and she said that it was because it was on the 3rd floor and a bit of a walk from reception. I really got the feeling that it was more for her convenience that she had shown me to the previous room. Overall I was impressed with the location (right next to the river and the town), my view was lovely and the monsoon shower in the spotless bathroom made up for my initial dissapointment. I would just advise anyone staying at the hotel to push for something better if they are not happy with what is first offered...

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled solo
Reviewed 5 June 2009

Excellent location - centre of town and minutes from the river. Good size room in contemporary style and great bathroom. Not massive amounts of character - despite being converted brewery building - could really be any contemporary mid-range hotel. But all good for a night's stay. Bars and events rooms suggest it could maybe get a bit corporate-lively but the (Monday) we were there was pretty quiet.

Reviewed 29 May 2009

We stayed at HDV Henley for one night as a get away to celebrate an anniversary. Having looked at their website and read some of the previous Tripadvisor reviews, we had a good idea of what to expect in terms of location, facilities, room types etc.

We booked a River Suite (which are their top priced rooms) on the day in question via their central reservations line, who were helpful and even agreed to include breakfast into our rate of £175.

The hotel is extremely well located, a stone's throw away from the River and easy to find. As others have pointed out, parking costs an extortionate £15 a night, especially as one can find free parking in residential streets within a 5 minute walk. We opted for the latter! The staff at Front Desk were pleasant enough, however, not particualarly friendly or welcoming and certainly leagues behind what one would expect from boutiques and five star competitors. We noticed that several others had made similar remarks in the Guest Book in Reception!!!

The suite (Ruinart) is a duplex. The first floor is the smallish bedroom and en suite WC. Up the stairs, there is a bathroom, with a standalone bathtub and huge walk in shower. Yes, the shower is pretty good, as is the huge mushroom shower head. On the balcony, there is an outdoor bath. Neither bath looks big enough to accommodate two adults unless you are both pretty petite! In that sense, overall, the room was a disappointment and we wondered whether that explains why there are so few photos on the website. Also, they seem to be 5 years behind in updating their technology - the TVs in the rooms are LCDs but no more than 17-21 inches and therefore well behind the competition.

In terms of service, HDV is really lacking, especially when compared to the service at its parent group, Malmaison. The staff seem pretty uninspired and disinterested. At breakfast we wondered whether some of the waitresses spoke sufficient English to properly understand what guests were saying. There seemed to be a lack of care or thought about what staff were doing and none that we came across could muster a smile, let alone a friendly chat! The Bistro and Champagne bar in particular are something of a let down and, for those considering paying for breakfast, be warned that this takes the form of a limited choice menu, as opposed to a full a la carte offering. Vegetarians, in particular, seem to have been given little consideration. Likewise the facilities: a much vaunted billiards room, featuring a table with a huge slant and an incomplete set of billiards or pool balls. What is the point?

Overall, it seemed to be a case of style over substance and hence one is left feeling underwhelmed and overcharged.

I have no idea what the competition in Henley is like so whilst I would recommend HDV as a clean and centrally located hotel, I would not pay any more than £100 for the suite we stayed in.

Reviewed 5 May 2009

We stayed here for one night on Sunday 3rd May 09, having booked the Lazy Sunday package through the Hotel Du Vin website (£135.00 Dinner, Bed and Breakfast for two).

Having previously read about the noise issues that some of the other reviewers experienced, I was somewhat apprehensive to discover our room overlooked the courtyard. However, I was reassured that the Courtyard area is closed at 10.30pm every night to prevent residents being disturbed and we certainly didn’t experience any problems.

The bar area is amazingly elegant – I could have happily stayed there all evening listening to the jazz playing in the background whilst sipping champagne cocktails. The service in the bistro was swift but friendly and the food was generally good. That said, I was HUGELY disappointed with my dessert – Cherry cake and pouring cream – what arrived was a stone cold, dry old lump of cake swimming in single cream that you would need a knife to cut through. It was the sort of week-old cake my grandmother would apologise for bringing out when unexpected guests turn up. I will never understand how it made it on to the menu! I have also stayed at the Hotel Du Vin in York where the standard of food was much better.

We enjoyed our stay at this hotel and it represented great value for money based on the Lazy Sunday deal. Whilst I doubt we would hurry back here (mainly due to the fact Henley is quite a small and quiet town), it has inspired us to try as many of the hotels in the Hotel Du Vin chain as we can!