“Not quite there”

Hotel du Vin
Bath, England
“Not quite there”
Reviewed 13 December 2010

Stayed here weekend 10th to 12th December. I read the Trip Advisor reports before booking, so expected what came, well almost!

There are several reviews that warn of noise in the Hotel. Heeding that, we asked for a quiet room, which was duly obliged, well that's what we thought! Arriving early, we booked in at 3pm. We retired to our room and by 4.30pm ...boom, boom, boom...the DJ was testing his microphone and amplifiers for a forthcoming wedding disco.

It only lasted for about ten minutes, but it was certainly a tester for what the night was going to bring for us. The bass was so loud, our furniture jumped.

Well you can guess! By 11:30, we were praying for 'Hi Ho Silver Lining', so that 'Woman in Red' and 'Angels' could begin, and they could all disappear. Despite my partners complaints to reception, and their promises, nothing was done about it.

It turned out, on the next days inspection, that our room was right above the vaulted brick ceiling of the banqueting hall! Hardly a quiet room! Thankfully, the next evening was without disturbance, albeit despite notices in the courtyard that that area is closed after 10:30 to 11pm for noise reasons, it isnt, and we pitied the rooms by the courtyard.

Conclusion! The manager needs to get a grip, because return customers will be unlikely.

It isnt cheap there. Tranquility and comfort should be high on their priorities.

Despite the noise issue, everything else was fine, and the restaurant ' front of house' well run. We were a bit peeved at paying £15 per night for their carpark, because they hadnt designed the place to accommodate more than 4 to 5 cars, and parking outside is permit holders only, that was a shock.

Not what we expected from HdV. The customer didnt seem particularly valued, and our requests were ignored on several occassions. That's completely ignored!

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (159)
Ockley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 December 2010

I am just home from a two meeting at HDV at Henley and I really can not fault this hotel. I arranged a team meeting for 15 people staying over and 17 day delegates. The staff are absolutely first class, their service was second to none and nothing is too much trouble. My room was absolutely fantastic, probably the best room I have ever stayed in, please see my pictures. We had superb private dining in a room adjacent to the kitchen and the food was fantastic. Three small gripes, firstly their is very little parking so the staff valet park your car to the nearest available free parking space BUT they do collect your car and deliver it back to the hotel. The second is that the windows are original and are not double glazed. The third is that they do not offer food once the kitchen is closed. I felt very sorry for a colleague that left Edinburgh at 8.00am and arrived at the hotel at 23.00 but the bar staff rallied round and made her a makeshift meal which was actually quite substantial. The best bit of my room was the massive wet room and the toiletries which you can take home, believe me you will want to. I can honestly say that they have the best smoking area I have ever seen.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled on business
England
Reviewed 25 October 2010

Yes, this interesting hotel has been developed on the site of the old Brakspeare's brewery and HDV's style has been maintained by this choice of site and building.

There is minimal parking within the hotel courtyard but valet parking by the hotel. The reception area is reminiscent of a large Victorian style of office. Our room, Peter Lehman, as situated right above the courtyard and did not disappoint. Furnished in modern minimalist style it offered everything required with enough space to have a foxtrot if the desire took upon us. One of my favourite features of the HDV chain is the deluge you experience under the shower within the wet room. I enjoy this so much that I am sure that I have never had so many showers in a 24 hour period before.

We both enjoyed a cocktail in the bar area whilst listening to trendy music created as a playlist that know more about modern music than I. However, Norah Jones' elegant refrains and soulful voice allowed me to relax and enjoy my Bloody Mary.

Through the bar is the bistro in classic HDV style which boasts 2 AA rosettes awarded this last September. The menu is simple and appeals to a wide variety of taste. My Chicken Liver and Foie Gras terrine was excellent whilst my wife abstained from a starter. I followed that with a Smoked Haddock risotto and my wife had a Goat's Cheese and Red Onion Tart. We njoyed a crisp Sauvignon Blanc to accompany the food. My cheese and biscuits were washed down with an excellent Cabernet Sauvignon (old world of course). This left little room for pudding so all that remained was coffee and then time to retire.

I like this chain of hotels, it offers consistency in unique surroundings and HDV chooses its sites very carefully. We enjoyed an offer of particularly good value with dinner, bed & breakfast for £165 for two. This was an offer made I suppose because it was a Monday but it was a shame that neither the morning receptionist or the computer had any knowledge that this offer existed. Fortunately my wife is the epitome of efficiency and had this in writing as proof. We left contented with the feeling of excellent value and an enjoyable stay.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 October 2010

I stayed at this hotel for a couple of days. Had a pleasant, relaxing stay. The room we stayed in was comfortable, clean, spacious and quiet. Tea/coffee making facilities provided, along with minibar, ironing equipment, hairdryer and tv. Nice sized bathroom.
My only criticism of the room, which is something that wouldn't really affect male guests I think, is that there none of the mirrors in the room or bathroom have a bright enough light, which getting ready a little tricky.
The bar area of the hotel was pretty good, and drinks were reasonable priced.
We had breakfast at the restaurant, the selection offered had sufficient variety and the food was well made. We didn't have dinner there but it seemed to be a popular place for dining.
Would definitely stay here again.

Hampshire, England
Reviewed 12 October 2010

Very close to the centre of town in a former brewery. The hotel and rooms have real character and I was impressed. Room was a good size with a very comfortable bed and super soft pillows - I certainly slept well. Bathroom upstairs with big bath and walk in shower. Bath robes, big TV, tea and coffee so all you would expect. Food in ther restaurant was good with a wide choice. Do not know how much we piad so cannot comment on value. Asked about weekend prices and the sounded expensive - generally seemed quiet but it was a Monday.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled on business
Vienna, Austria
Reviewed 7 October 2010

Oh wow ...
You want to get married, don't look anywhere else.
Go for the Hotel du Vin Henley.
With your very own wedding planer at the hotel nothing can go wrong.
The hotel wen every way to make our wedding as special as possible.
We had guests from Austria & the US.
All of them could not believe how amazing the venue, the service & the food was!
That makes me think now ... did they cry at the ceremony because of us or because of how beautiful the Canata room was?? :-)
Location, tick. Food, tick. Service, tick.
Our bedroom. Go for the Dom Perignon suite.
Fancy a shower in the old brewing tank? Fancy a night in the 8 foot bed?
Well, go for it! The hotel got it all on offer!

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 October 2010

If you stay here it's not going to be a good night's sleep. We liked the decor, the room and the bathroom, but the noise from the room above was dreadful. They have put down wooden floor boards without insolation, and every footstep reverberates through. There was a wedding on and loads of people staying were partying all night, so the noise from the smokers in the courtyard carried. Don't think the people in the room above were being noisy, just that every footstep until 5 a.m. could be heard. By the way, we were in the GEOFF room on the second floor if you want to avoid that one.

1 Thank London_wellington
Also consider these accommodations in or near Henley-on-Thames
The Catherine Wheel
#1 of 1 in Stoke Row
Phyllis Court Club
Phyllis Court Club
#5 of 8 in Henley-on-Thames

Been to Hotel du Vin? Share your experiences!