“If it wasn't for the staff and food this would be a "poor" rating”
Review of Loch Fyne Henley

Loch Fyne Henley
Reviewed 9 December 2012

I stayed here with my wife after attending a wedding down the road from this hotel. First the positives. All the staff we met were very friendly and helpful. The hotel is part of a Loch Fyne restaurant, so the food was good. It is right in the town, so the location is great.The building is listed and full of character. The down side is that our room, described as 'light and airy', is in fact overly large and cold. The mattress was far to soft and lumpy. My wife expressed that this is the worst mattress she has ever tried to sleep on. The bathroom walls were stained, as were the tiles in the shower. The bathroom extractor fan was really noisy and continued on for at least 15 mins (until I discovered the switch to turn it off), but this didn't solve the problem as our neighbours fan was equally noisy when they used their bathroom. Because of the quirky shape of the building it meant we had a really odd angled door and it meant a lot of the night lighting from the landing leaked in, so sleep wasn't helped here either. Character, doesn't mean comfort and had we had a good nights sleep everything else probably wouldn't have mattered so much, so it could be an easy fix with a decent mattress! Otherwise, give me a sterile modern hotel room with a comfy bed.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 8 December 2012

When we made our reservation, via phone, the man on the other end was very helpful and ensured our needs were met (we needed x2 extra beds for children). Our room was spacious and bright. Lovely. Even though in a central location there was no noise at night, and the beds were big and comfy. The car park is small, during busy periods could be a problem (?) Breakfast was delicious with choices ranging from full English to fish/ kippers/ haddock/ smoked salmon. One downside was the waitress at breakfast was the moodiest I have ever met. She was rude and snappy and made us feel an inconvienience. My children were shocked! However, I wouldn't judge the place on this one person as everyone else was polite and helpful. She may have been having a bad day and it's not her normal approach.

Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 23 September 2012

Stayed for a wedding & the location is right by the church & the Town Hall so great location.
The car park is tiny & the hotel is through The Loch Fyne restaurant, this was busy when we arrived so we had to hunt out someone to check us in.
Our room was up a very steep short staircase & the bathroom had an equally steep set but the room was clean, spacious & quiet although the full on heating made it quite stuffy. The bed only gets a 6/10 as the mattress was tired & sloping. Other friends had simular experiences in the other rooms
The breakfast was very good although the waitress was grumpy the rest of the staff were friendly.
The staff go home when the restaurant closes & there is no-one on night duty so you need to check-in before if you are going to a wedding or you wont get in.

Room Tip: Back rooms are quieter
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Aliclements
Reviewed 19 September 2012

The car park is a joke, the manager displays a very cavalier attitude towards guests, I suppose that's what passes for manners in Milsoms, the room is pleasant and clean with a bathroom that surely contravenes article 8 of the human rights act on freedom of movement, my cat has a larger domicile, the pipes feeding water to said bathroom are like the bagpipes at the Edinburgh festival, I dined (can't believe I used that word to describe it) in the loch fyne restaurant and suffered cold cappuccino and sadly even colder fish, I was going to perform CPR on the fish it was that cold, service was average and uninterested, back to the room where I can quite clearly catch up on any missed conversation from the both the front bar and restaurant

• Stayed: September 2012
3  Thank Sweatybetty666
Reviewed 18 September 2012

Stayed one night on business.

The hotel is very central in the middle of Henley. My room was very spacious and light, and had a simple, clean bathroom and plenty of hanging space for clothes. It had a good sized desk and there was free wi-fi.

The breakfast was in the Loch Fyne Resturaunt downstairs and was excellent. Staff recommended the kippers and they were wonderful and cooked to order - a far, far better start to the day than the majority of horrendous hotel buffet offerings.

I would definately recommend this hotel to others.

Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 31 August 2012

I have read a number of adverse revues on this hotel. As far as I can see they are totally unjustified.Our room was large, clean and comfortable. It was exactly what we wanted and at a reasonable price. The staff were friendly and helpful. The location in the centre of Henley was perfect. There was one adverse note however. I am not sure if this should be under the hotel or the restaurant but since the hotel was on a b & b basis I will include it here. I absolutely love kippers, but not the way they were done for my breakfast. They were totally overcooked and ruined. I should have sent them back. Next time I will. The chef who cooked them should be sent back to chef kindergarten.Great hotel

Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 August 2012

The room was very large with everything needed for a few nights stay. It did take me an age to find the hairdryer, lots of draws and cupboards, and it's always the last! Bathroom with shower only, needs re-sealing, just looks a bit grubby. Like I said perfect for what we wanted at the price we wanted to pay.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back had no view but were quiet. I've read that those at the front suffer from noi...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Vanessa P
Also consider these accommodations in or near Henley-on-Thames
Hotel du Vin
#6 of 8 in Henley-on-Thames
The White Hart Hotel
The White Hart Hotel
#1 of 1 in Nettlebed

Been to Loch Fyne Henley? Share your experiences!