“Brilliant stuff”

The Catherine Wheel
Reviewed 9 February 2014 via mobile

Great hotel.nice old feeling to the place.its a must try.room was nice and quite.we had room 120 had no problems at all.
Friendly staff,great food
Only downside bed not so nice to sleep in and small
Also free wifi
Car park area out the back for a small charge.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 20 January 2014

Have just got back after a weekend at This Hotel...The service is excellent and the staff are very friendly they can't do enough to help...I plan to go back here for another weekend very soon , its easy to get into London too

Room Tip: London is within easy reach, you can get the bus for £5 return to Reading, Then the train and underg...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jillymaz
Reviewed 5 January 2014

I have never tried evening time, but this is Wetherspoons who have high standards. Great food, good prices on this and drinks prices, clean loos, nice clientele. Love the eggs benedits, and the breakfast wrap, Went through Henley week 2007,8.9,10-13 and go every year. Free wifi through the Cloud.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 18 December 2013

I've stayed here a couple of times. The first visit was for a single night, and was fine. The second visit wasn't so good: in fact, after a couple of nights, I bailed, and went to a different hotel. I have no problem with the cheap-and-cheerful tone (in fact it quite suits me), and I thought the food and beer were fine. The problem was that I was kept awake by noise from other guests.

On the first night, I was awoken more than once by people in the corridor: nothing rowdy, just other guests walking, chatting, and opening or closing the doors to their rooms. But because there was hardly any sound insulation between me and the corridor, I couldn't tell the difference between the sound of a key in the door across the corridor, and someone coming into my own room! The doors seemed to be of the variety found in old-fashioned hotels: so heavy that they are almost impossible to close quietly, but with no acoustic absorption.

OK, I'm a light sleeper. Perhaps you wouldn't have a problem with what I described. But the second night was more telling.

I was in a different room on the second night, and was chatting to my wife on the phone, when there was a knock at the door. Without moving, I called "Hello?". A guy's voice came through the door: "Excuse me, could you turn the TV down please?" My response was: "Sorry, mate, the TV isn't on!"

So, not only was I able to hold a conversation through a closed door, but my neighbour thought my phone call was the sound of the TV. I didn't make any more phone calls after that, since my room didn't feel private any longer. I wasn't disturbed for the rest of the night, but the knowledge that I could be, at any moment, and that my neighbours might be able to hear me, made it hard to relax.

So I checked out early. The young woman on reception was really, really good about the situation and handled it very well. So my lasting impression is, strangely, a positive one! I almost left a 3-star rating. But I'll be thinking twice next time, and if I book a room, I'll be choosing it very carefully.

Room Tip: Check with reception!
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
3  Thank Fender_Jazz
Reviewed 12 December 2013

Wc stayed here a couple of nights in September, midweek. So noise was no issue as they don't have live music at that time.
We found the rooms of a good standard, with clean modern bathroom. Staff were very helpful, and parking was available if booked in advance ( we had). Breakfast (extra) was ok as well.
Overall good value for money and would stay again.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 November 2013

This venue is huge, Wetherspoons one half and Lloyds the other, an interesting mix. Never have a problem finding somewhere to sit, all the usual food and drink options. The best value are the drinks, way below what you pay in other pubs in Henley-on-Thames.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 19 November 2013

Stay at The Catherine Wheel in Henley-on-Thames for 3 nights on a business trip early November.

My colleague had a quiet room at the back and my room is facing the street on the 1st floor. Very lively, I like that. I can do people watching from my room. Down below is the pub entrance but I didn’t hear a noise from the room. The hotel operator is JD Wetherspoon. They run several hotels in some of the pub and restaurant locations.

JD Wetherspoon runs pubs and restaurants in historical buildings in central locations (or most historical building of an area), this is no doubt another charming piece of property.

Room is in good size, clean, and bed is comfy. Staff is exceptionally friendly, helpful and smiling – front desk, housekeeping and restaurant.

Each room is decorated with drawings of Henley by primary school children commissioned by JD Wetherspoon. A wonderful idea I like most. Very interesting to see Henley from the eye’s the children. It’s a meaning community project, unique decoration and a nice touch of human interest.

Room Tip: Stay in a room facing the street. No worry about noise.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business