“One night on business trip..”

The Catherine Wheel
Northampton, UK
“One night on business trip..”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 June 2014

Typical old building but room quite spacious with reasonable facilities. Everything clean but room well used and shower required a great deal of patience waiting for warm water.
The floors creak so when other guest are making an early start can be disturbed by them easily.
Limited parking might be a problem to be aware of. I didn't select this hotel so had no researched it first.
All day at the rugby club grounds around 10 minute walk away only £3.00.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
Louisville, Kentucky
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2014

It was late in the day, we hadn't pre-booked and every wear we stopped was full. We saw the sign for The Catherine Wheel and my aunt sent me out to see if there was a vacancy while she went around (and around) the block. The young lady at reception was very helpful. Although she needed me to register on-line, since I didn't have anyway to do that, she registered online for me while I waited and explained where we could find overnight free parking since their garage was full. She didn't even laugh at the silly American (me) who didn't understand her British accent.

The room was very pleasant and clean. Tea fixings in the room. The dining room was just average - a window was broken and it was chilly in the dining room so we moved to the other side of the room where there wasn't a view. The food was decent. I never did quite get the hang of service at the bar but it was adequate.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank SteaksMom
Buckinghamshire, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2014 via mobile

Been visiting this pub for many years (before Wetherspoons) and they have always been polite and helpful. Only critical point... Tables could be wiped more often! The alcohol is priced well and pitchers of cocktails even better!

• Stayed March 2014
Glos
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2014

Stayed here the night after a wine tour at Chiltern Winery. Very comfortable and clean. Bed could've been bigger but it didn't detract from the overall good experience.
The only criticism: I know it's a hotel attached to a very large pub but after paying £79 for one night, I expected a good breakfast? Instead I had to wait in a queue at the bar (15mins) order breakfast from an obviously overworked young man (who was a little sullen), he made the tea there and then, took the money and because he was alone, frustrated and upset the other people waiting behind me. For that money I expect to be sat down and served breakfast by someone who wants to do it? Apart from that - Not Bad.

Room Tip: Book the car park at the same time you book the hotel.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JMWGlos
London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2014

Myself and my husband have stayed here on several occassions and never had any thing to complain about. The staff are great, rooms are clean, beds couldbe a bit more comfortable. On the whole a very pleasant place to stay otherwise we wouldnt keep going back. The reason I am putting this review on here is that on our last visit I was awoken at 4.45am by a horrendous noise outside, our room over looked henley high street. I looked outthe window and there was a verylarge Wetherspoons lorry picking up steel cages from the pub/hotel. The driver was using the pneumatic ramp to put the cages on the lorry, once on the lorry he was moving them around inside! The noise was absolutely deafining. I called down tp reception and got told"sorry, they normally collect these
at 7am!!!!"needless to say I wasnt at all impressed. On checking out that morning, I mentioned itwhat happened to the receptionist, she said what do you want me to do about it!! The best thing
you can do is report it to head office!! On my return home I emailed the customer services to let

them know what had occured. I decided that I would give them at least a week to respond before I

put a review on here. They have not responded after giving them a lot longer than a week, this is not very good customer service and they obviously dont take customer complaints seriuosly, so hence this review.
Not impressed, shame really as it has ruined any possibility of us staying there again because they havent as yet apologised .

Room Tip: Dont stay in the rooms at the front
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank chelseagirlLondon
Basildon, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 February 2014 via mobile

Great hotel.nice old feeling to the place.its a must try.room was nice and quite.we had room 120 had no problems at all.
Friendly staff,great food
Only downside bed not so nice to sleep in and small
Also free wifi
Car park area out the back for a small charge.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Birmingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 January 2014

Have just got back after a weekend at This Hotel...The service is excellent and the staff are very friendly they can't do enough to help...I plan to go back here for another weekend very soon , its easy to get into London too

Room Tip: London is within easy reach, you can get the bus for £5 return to Reading, Then the train and underg...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple