“More Pros than Cons”
Review of Rose & Crown Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Henley-on-Thames
Rose & Crown Inn
Mpls
“More Pros than Cons”
Reviewed 25 March 2013

Pros;
- Very friendly and helpful host. When he found out my wife was gluten intolerant he went out and got gluten-free bread for her toast.
- Location is in town and walking distance to the town center and river
- The building has character - not like a large chain. This comes with quirks as well.
- Pub downstairs for food or cards.
- Great breakfast
- Reasonably priced
- Clean room

Cons:
- It is on a busy street, so if you have a street side room you will get traffic noise.
- Parking is on street and paid for by the host. We were able to find spots near the hotel, but this is not guaranteed.
- Regarding the loud pub complaint, I sleep with earplugs so I had no problems. My wife heard some talking and light music the first night but it was not a big problem.
- The building is hundreds of years old, so don't expect luxury accommodations.

Room Tip: Avoid street side if you don't want traffic noise
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Henley
Reviewed 18 March 2013

We stayed here for one night whilst visiting for a wedding close by. The room was nice and characterful and the bathroom was nicely done. Breakfast was great in the morning and the staff were friendly and flexible. I'd recommend staying for a good value night in Henley and if you are looking for somewhere a bit different from the larger hotels on offer.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
Hayle, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 March 2013

I ve stayed at the rose and crown about 5/6 times a year over the last 10 years
Over the last 2 years the management seems to change every 3 months, checked in this evening, I ve put you in a quiet room, 10,30 this evening I feel like I'm above a disco, the " landlord' tells me I'll turn down the noise, the first time in 20. Years I ve checked out of a hotel and found another,
Last visit 3 months ago I couldn't get a table for food this evening no one was eating in the pub
No apologies from the management , just here's your refund
I 'm Self employed myself and know how hardship it is to control staff but the current management need to wake up to the the 21st century

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank MarkPearce

Travellers are raving about these Henley-on-Thames hotels

Reviewed 23 December 2012

Eaten here a few times (lunch and dinner). Food always very good and service excellent. Very friendly and welcoming local pub. Would not hesitate in recommending to family and friends. The only thing that lets it down is the location: slightly off the beaten track, means it may lose out on potential custom.
Have visited the pub in both summer and winter, seem to retain staff from season to season which is often a good sign.
Tends to be quite quiet. Perhaps having the "empty" restaurant at the front of the pub where people walk by, is giving a message out as unpopular. This is a shame. Maybe by displaying a "busy" pub for potential diners to see, would promote a more popular establishment.
Overall, very impressed and nothing really negative to report. Just hope it can thrive. Looking forward to our next visit.

• Stayed December 2012
Henley-on-Thames, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 December 2012

I have had many a great Sunday lunch here and never been disappointed. The roast beef is particularly good and everything fresh and locally sourced! Staff are also really attentive and look after you! Highly recommend this pub!

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends
Henley-on-Thames, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 October 2012

After several recommendations, we decided to have Sunday lunch at the R&C. We were told that this was their best meal by far,
The food was average at best (the roast potato's were hard and there was next to no gravey so the whole plate was dry)
The pub was next to empty (at 1.30pm on a Sunday) and there was a poor welcome and goodbye
Sunday lunch is usually my favourate meal of the week and its often difficult to walk into somewhere without booking, like we did here. I now know why!

Room Tip: Didn't stay there
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank TFH04
midlands
Reviewed 26 September 2012

I only stayed one night for a wedding. A lovely little quirky inn. The new owner allowed me to check in early so that I could change, and arranged free parking for me. There was an excellent choice for breakfast, served at a time of my choice by friendly and helpful staff. If I had stayed longer I would have definitely sampled the other food on offer and taken advantage of the quiet secluded back garden and well stocked bar. Unfortunately the stairs to the rooms are steep so would not suit anyone with mobility problems.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled solo