“Delightful!”

Upstairs & Downstairs Tearooms
Chippenham
“Delightful!”
Reviewed 21 August 2014

We called in for just a cream tea so I cannot comment on the other food on offer but what we had was really delicious and the best strawberry jam I have tasted for many a year. All served in traditional china with beautiful little butter knives. Unfortunately there was no room in the tea rooms upstairs so I asked if we could sit downstairs. No problem! We were the only people eating downstairs in the shop part, which made us feel extra special. This was just the sort of place we were looking for, so very much nicer than all the coffee/tea shop chains which seem to dominate all the towns these days.

• Visited August 2014
1 Thank Jenny T
Lorraine_hillier, Owner at Upstairs & Downstairs Tearooms, responded to this review, 25 August 2014
Thank you for your lovely review. It is much appreciated, as we do endeavour to make every visit a pleasure.

England, United Kingdom
“Disappointing”
Reviewed 2 August 2014

We didn't enjoy our visit. The women running the place seemed completely overloaded. It took forever for our drinks and cakes to arrive. I ordered Earl Grey tea but what they brought was totally bitter and not Earl Grey - I gave it back to them and they brought another which was a bit better. The cakes were average. Our boys ordered Coca Cola - after about 15 minutes they came back to say that they didn't have any. The toilets and stairs at the entrance are disgusting.

• Visited August 2014
5 Thank zenMaster62
Lorraine_hillier, Owner at Upstairs & Downstairs Tearooms, responded to this review, 7 August 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am very sorry to read you had such an unsatisfactory visit. There were inexperienced helpers in that Saturday - after only having word that morning that the two members of staff due in upstairs in the tearoom were both unable to work that day. It also happened to be our busiest day so we were completely overloaded as you pointed out.. Unfortunately these things happen and I am sorry we failed you.

However, with regard to the toilets and stairs I cannot accept the term 'disgusting'. I take great pride in cleaning these areas so this is certainly not the case. So whilst I do appreciate the points you have raised I do dispute this.
London, England
“Great addition to Henley”
Reviewed 15 July 2014

Four of us went to Upstairs Downstairs in Henley last week. It was my friend's 50th birthday and we were made to feel incredibly welcome and fussed over (in a good way). The atmosphere is warm, relaxed and yet still a 'proper' place. The teas are great, with tremendous and unusual cake varieties on offer (eg. Pimms!). We loved the whole thing and highly recommend it.

• Visited July 2014
Birmingham
“Lovely tea room”
Reviewed 11 July 2014

I've visited a couple of times now. Such a change from the tea/coffee shops that you find in every town. There is a good selection of cakes, and although not a tea drinker, my fellow diner is and enjoys the wide range of teas. The service is excellent and nothing is too much trouble.

• Visited July 2014
“A surprise!”
Reviewed 19 May 2014

As longtime Henley residents, we were pleased to discover the addition of a valuable new eatery to the local scene. Entering the tea shop, then venturing up a short flight of stairs, you will find yourself in a genteel Edwardian dining room, enjoying a wide choice of teas and perhaps sampling a delicious scone. The service was friendly and accommodating. Located right in the centre of town, yet away from the hubbub - this one is bound to be a winner.

• Visited May 2014