“Not impressed”

and 1 more site!
Central Backpackers Oxford
Reviewed 3 October 2012 via mobile

Whoever says that this hostel is the best they ever stayed in either work for the hostel or haven't traveled at all.
It's not great at all.
I usualy stay inother hostel but wanted yo try somethin new. For start, I arrived after midnight, which is late I admit but it's not a reason to be given an attitude from the staff. Mate it's your job full stop. Next, I wanted to get a glass of water but I was told that the kitchen was closed! Unbelievable!! The guy told me that they have vending machine but I didn't have enough change. Anyways, I walked into my room most of people were already asleep and I wonder how as there was a nightclub directly below us do no sleep for me until 3 am. The beds are of very poor quality and very squaecky, meaning each time someone rolled over people were waking up. Closing door without waking people up was also a big challenge.
Free breakfast was orange juice and toasts better than nothing I guess. I paid £22 for a night in 8 bed dorm. Slept for about 3,5 hours dreaming of water.
There is much better place just by the train station YHA that is much better, cleaner, better facilities, kitchen open 24 hours, bar, max 6 bed dorms. Bad think about YHA is no free breakfast or towel.
Choice is yours.

• Stayed: October 2012
1  Thank Alexloewenau

Reviewed 12 September 2012

Really great hostel, very clean and very friendly and helpful staff. Good facilities too although I must have missed the free breakfast! One of the best hostels I've stayed it. Good that the linen is free (and put on for you!) as are towels. Location is great for the station.

Only big complaint was that there weren't any reading lights by the beds - this always makes it difficult for people coming in late and only having the option of the big light. Bunk beds a bit squeaky too.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank H D
Reviewed 6 September 2012

The most friendly and helpful staff I've come across in my travels. Good facilities - free wifi and computers, free breakfast and kitchen use, nice TV room with good collection of movies. Pub crawl on a Wednesday night is also alot of fun!!

• Stayed: September 2012
Reviewed 17 August 2012

We left our luggage early in the morning and it was fine. The friendly staff is the greatest asset Central Backpacker has. They are ready to listen and help travellers and make them feel mo0re comfortable and confident about the place.... The place is a little bit small, with few toilets and washrooms. And the rooftop hangout area could be loud at night. But there was free ear-plugs to take and it was okay for me. But everything worked out well for us, and we appreciated the free breakfast, the kitchen, and the lounge.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank THY_90
Reviewed 16 August 2012

Well located, awesome staff, good services (even free towels). Terrace on the roof and cheap beer. Small cinema with free movies too.

Had a monday pasta night and wednesday free pub crawl. Was pretty cool. Only concern was there was a monster truck sleeping right above me. Fortunately they also offer free ear plugs.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 8 June 2012

I read the reviews and saw the high ratings on Hostelworld but I must say I was kind of disappointed. 3 of us stayed 2 nights in a 4 bed dorm. It was clean and location was great. Close to both the train and bus station and city center. Free, very simple breakfast in the morning consisting of toast & cereal. Free Wi-Fi was great. But it was not the place to be for a good night's sleep. There's a reason why they provide free ear plugs. There's at least one nightclub next door that played music all night long, both nights we were there. Very squeaky beds. Minus for charging £1 extra for paying with card. They get charged by their bank but they shouldn't put that cost on guests. It's kind of stingy of them in my opinion. I've stayed in many other hostels who don't transfer these small fees to their guests. Would not stay there again.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 11 May 2012

The location is good, it's about 5 minutes walk to the main bus/train stations and about the same to the city centre. Cleanliness was excellent too, one of the cleanest hostels I've been to but without that sterile "hospital" feel YHAs tend to have. The beds were comfortable but a bit squeaky, not too bad though. Staff were organised and friendly but let down by the one who decided to wander in, hit the dorm light switch and begin a loud conversation with a guest! It was fairly early though, I'd just had a long coach journey! Excellent showers, the best I've seen in a hostel, no press the button every three seconds for a trickle of freezing water here, a proper power shower! I didn't try the breakfast, I've never had a breakfast in a UK hostel yet worth mentioning but some other people were saying they had a decent amount of toast. Overall I'll stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo