“Thank you Butterry cafe.”
Review of The Buttery Hotel

The Buttery Hotel
Ranked #26 of 84 Oxford B&B and Inns
Reviewed 9 June 2013

Me and my husband came to the cafe, it's very central and a great place to people watch. Whilst I was in the middle of a walking tour, I realised that I has left my rucksack at the cafe! The cafe thankfully kept it to one side for me. Thank you so much, really appreciated.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank pammidhami
There are newer reviews for The Buttery Hotel

Reviewed 7 June 2013

Looked at prices and found cheaper than on hotel web site. Rang them and they were happy to match price. Got very good advice regarding use of park and ride (PEARTREE P&R).

Location was perfect as we were going to the New Theatre to a concert. Only a 2 minute walk to the theatre.

The hotel is up a steep flight of stairs so be warned if you find stairs a problem. We had room 105. At the back, very quiet and well equipped. Complimentary bottled water with the tea and coffee was a bonus.

Breakfast was OK. Tables very small. Not a whole heap of choice but a good cooked meal.

Overall a very good experience and would go back again,

Room Tip: Room 105 if a quiet night and others at the back
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Andrewiltn
Reviewed 3 June 2013

Great location, within easy walking distance of absolutely everything I wanted to get to, and on a really very pretty street. My room (302) was very spacious, ditto the bathroom (bath and shower). Perfectly quiet, even when I opened the windows. The reception staff were helpful and efficient, and the breakfasts were good and arrived quickly. All the stairs mean it's probably not ideal for anyone with mobility difficulties, but otherwise, highly recommended.

Room Tip: If you're particularly desperate for a good view, probably best to specify when booking.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 21 May 2013

If you want to pay budget prices, you need to expect budget accommodations. The Buttery has no lift, and reception is up a flight of steep stairs. My room (206) was up yet another flight. It was small, sparsely decorated, with dirty smudges on the walls in places. The bathroom was a SMALL cubicle shower with a toilet wedged in, there really wasn't enough room to sit fully on the toilet without touching the wall or shower. The small sink was in the room proper, with a mirror to the right of it. Tile in the bathroom was cracked and there was a little bit of mold at the top of the shower. Nothing unbearable. And, as I said, it was very inexpensive compared to other central Oxford locations.

The tourist information center is just a few doors down, the location is fantastic. The option of a full English Breakfast was wonderful, but be prepared to wait for it. It took a LONG time. I think I waited close to 40 minutes, and I was alone. Another solo traveler who arrived prior to me, only ordered scrambled egg and toast, and was served at the same time as I was. The Buttery was fine for a night or two, but if you're planning a longer stay, you might consider splurging on something a bit nicer.

Stayed: May 2013
Reviewed 11 May 2013

This was the worst hotel I've stayed at in Great Britain. The visit begins with a long flight of steps that one must climb, dragging luggage with you since there is no where other than the street to "park" it while you make your way up to the registration alcove, which is located above the storefront (second floor to Americans--first floor to Britons). I can't emphasize how long and steep the climb is--it's a trek only a mountain goat could enjoy--and it is truly daunting for seniors, like my wife and me. We were given one of the larger rooms on the first floor of the 16-room establishment. That's the good news. We could have had a room on the fourth floor, and faced another three floors of backbreaking stair-climbing. The bad news is that our room faced the street. And the entire room had windows facing that street--windows that did not have double glazed glass, hence no sound dampening at all. The popular image of Oxford is of a high-toned, elite college town, but high-toned and elite or not, Oxford student drink with the same reckless abandon as college students everywhere. And to make matters worse, the bars don't close until 3 a.m. Every drunken step, every drunken song, every ribald joke, every episode of vomiting filled our room as if the action were at the foot of our bed, not outside and down one floor. And from the look of the carpet in our room, a considerable amount of vomiting had in fact occurred near the foot of our bed. I've never seen filthier carpeting. The best one can say is that it matched perfectly the '50s thrift store furnishings that adorned the room. While we left The Buttery after two sleepless nights, feeling like we needed to disinfect ourselves and anything else that had touched a surface in our room, I've moved my rating of the hotel up a notch for a single reason: location. The hotel couldn't be in a more central location, and there simply aren't many hotels in downtown Oxford. So if you're spry and strong, intend to carouse until 3 a.m. each morning, returning to your room so inebriated that you won't notice--or in fact plan to add to--the stains on the carpet, The Buttery might fit the bill. I'd suggest that everyone else sleep in their car or in a cardboard box in an alley.

Room Tip: Don't accept a room at the ront of the building. Take a smaller room at the back.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank HistoryTraveler26
Reviewed 29 April 2013

I stayed at The Buttery in a deluxe double room whilst on a conference in Oxford. The Hotel is very central and conveniently located. The rooms were comfortable and the bathrooms basic but light and roomy by English standards. Breakfasts were served in the cafe downstairs, good coffee and fantastic croissants. The only down side was the noise on the street outside at night. If you are a light sleeper ask for a room at the back. The highlight was the wonderful staff who were bright, helpful and with personality.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 22 April 2013

We didn't really enjoy our stay at The Buttery Hotel. The thing that bothered me alot was the cleanliness of the hotel, I had to write a note for the housekeeping in order to change the towels! It is very noisy you can hear others talking in adjacent rooms. Breakfast was served very early, until 9:00 am. However, I admit that the staff were friendly and the location was very convenient.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple