“Healthy and Potentially Affordable, but they charge for water!”
Review of YO! Sushi

YO! Sushi
Ranked #399 of 687 Restaurants in Oxford
Price range: US$38 - US$47
Cuisines: Sushi, Asian
Reviewed 25 July 2013

Today was the first time I had taken my children and some friends to Yo Sushi, having experienced it myself at Paddington station before. I like that the food is fresh and healthy and generally affordable with some dishes as low as £2. I couldn't quite convince them to have the £2 miso soup with free refills (it was a hot day), but some were able to order their favourite sushi of simply cucumber, supplemented with stir-fry noodles or rice. I also tried one of the new "burgers", which was like a filet o' fish with a pair of lightly toasted rice cakes for the bun. It came with a salad and prawn crackers, and was really delicious. The conveyor belt makes it hard to limit the dishes since they're going around and around like a constant advert, but that's part of the fun of it, too. However, then I got the bill. The restaurant charges £1 for water (which I insisted they take off -- I'm not paying for tap water, and I think it's a law that says you're not supposed to do that if you serve alcoholic drinks). They also charge £8 for the "burger" combo, which was a shocker. Nowhere was the price of the burger advertised, except that its special menu went around the conveyor belt on a red plate. Glancing at the menu, I mistook the orange plate for a red plate (the colour is difficult to discern when placed next to a pink plate in its price list) and thought it cost £3.60. Anyway, the manager and I had a short discussion, and he agreed to adjust the cost. Bottom line: it has its ups and its downs. As long as you keep an eye on what you or your kids are pulling off the conveyor belt, refuse to pay for water, and scrutinize your bill, it's a good place to go for healthy and quick food in the middle of Oxford.

Reviewed 19 June 2013

Went on a busy Monday when everything is £2.50 - lots of great dishes on the belt including hot ones. One of the best yo-sushi experiences I've had. Staff were very helpful and friendly.

Reviewed 1 June 2013

This is definitely a restaurant to avoid in my opinion. Being a huge fan of Japanese food I have been several times but each time the food was mediocre ranging to terrible.The last time that I went the udon was so overcooked that it was inedible and the replacement dish was so poor that I decided to dine somewhere else.
Generally Yo! Sushi is not good value for money either. If you are in Oxford, I have heard that the food at Edamame is good.

Reviewed 29 May 2013

Went to Yo Sushi with young grandchildren. It has long been their favourite place, and I can see why. A marvellous experience: excellent food, fresh cooked, and the whole thing great fun.

1  Thank Janet C
Reviewed 6 May 2013

This was my first trip to a conveyor belt style sushi restaurant. I told the staff that I'd never been and they were friendly, helpful, and gracious. I happened to come on a monday, their cheapest night with all selections at 2.40 sterling per plate. This would have been very fun with a friend but plenty entertaining as a solo traveler. Self serve water and condiments were on the table as was a button for service. My one request never appeared tho I left very full. The price did add up for a single person trying a few things. But really delicious! The conveyor belt was a lot of fun and all food was very fresh.