“Fantastic location and comfort, a family winner”

Ethos Hotel & Caffe
Ranked #22 of 44 Hotels in Oxford
Much Wenlock, United Kingdom
“Fantastic location and comfort, a family winner”
Reviewed 28 August 2014

I found this hotel using Tripadvisor. Other Oxford hotels very expensive and ratings average. I was bowled over with the prompt, helpful email communications from the team. We had a family room with huge TVs and SKY (kids loved this more than Oxford itself)!
Wonderful to have kitchen facilities, again this is great for kids. Fortunately Tripadvisor reviews had prepared me for this and although we are a family who likes a treat with cooked breakfast on holiday, we could Tassimo and then walk 10 mins into Oxford for breakfast/paninis. Great cafe opposite Christ Church.
Bathroom excellent. All very clean.
Wonderful sofa bed. It actually felt like a firm bed, no lumps or gaps, best we have ever used.
Daily top up of yoghurts and cereals and milk.
Parking right outside the building! Surely a real bonus in Oxford. No rush to check out either and we left the car to walk into town for lunch before driving home.

I'm just not sure what else to add. This place is a gem. We would definitely recommend and will definitely return.
Thank you for a very pleasurable, comfortable and convenient stay.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
6 Thank G M

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 August 2014

We stayed at the Ethos Hotel on the bank holiday weekend in August. We were surprised to find that you could not park at the hotel, but had to park several streets away. But when we checked into our room (11) we were pleasantly surprised at the level of comfort we found. The room was very warm with a huge comfortable bed and a television the size of one wall. ( not quite that big). We also had air conditioning which was a bonus. The room also had a small kitchen which had a kettle, microwave and a sink, the cupboards were stocked with cutlery and crockery. To walk into Oxford city centre took about 15 minutes, the staff in the hotel were very friendly and helpful. Our only moan about our room was the hairy mould in the bathroom and the taps to turn the shower on we're missing their handles. If we were to visit Oxford again we would certainly give this hotel another visit, let's hope they clean the mould off before we do.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank David190_13
Reviewed 18 August 2014

Personally I would recommend this hotel. The rooms were very clean and quiet. The A/C system is spot on. The bed and pillows were very comfortable. Nice heated shower floors. All amenities provided. Wi-fi works excellent. Very honest hotel staff. Within walking distance to the city center. True story: I left my shoes, shirt, and jeans there which the hotel phoned me the next day to tell me I forgot my items. When I drove 4 hours round trip the next day to pick up my items, I somehow forgot my phone at the front desk, which I called when I got home and the Ethos hotel answered on my phone. They were so kind enough to mail me phone free of charge. Long story short, this is a hotel that has staff that act and behave with strong moral principles and that I completely trust.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
4 Thank Brian F
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 August 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for one night in August while passing through Oxford.
We arrived a little early and the reception was unmanned. After calling the number of the counter we were met with indifference at best. The person on the phone was in a different location and couldn't even assist with local parking directions. Not ideal.

On our return the reception was still unmanned. The first call led to nothing and we were cut off. The second got someone who knew what was going on and was actually very helpful. We met a member of staff on leaving reception who was really helpful. She showed us to a room in the annex on the outside of the building. Was a pleasant room; full sky TV package, underfloor heating in the shower room, small kitchen. Generally well laid out and works well.

A minor issue arose with the room and we were moved to an inside room, upstairs. This revolved any issues we had.

The concept is good. The rooms are well appointed and equipped. There's no catering or bar and being this close to the middle of Oxford, there is no need. The fridge and microwave provide the in house facilities.

Overall they need to improve the telephone assistance provided to make the minimalist concept work.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank RovingDiver
Oakland, California
Reviewed 2 August 2014

I stayed in oxford for 10 days and stayed in 3 rooms at the hotel. I was very satisified. The staff resolved a dispute in a very fair way. The rooms were very nice and quiet, the walk to the heart of town was about 10 minutes. Good people.
I would stay again!

Room Tip: across the street from the main hotel, and upstairs was a fab new suite.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank tadman2014
St Albans, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 July 2014

We had a beautifully decorated, modern room with great facilities -iron and ironing board; fridge; kettle, toaster, microwave; cutlery and crockery in a mini-kitchenette - but we didn't know before we got there that there would be those facilities or we'd have brought our own breakfast. The only breakfast is a cold breakfast basket delivered to the room which we ordered but didn't arrive! There was wi-fi, Sky tv; air-con; a really nice shower room and our own entrance off the street.
We thought that £120 for just the room was expensive though. We were only there for one night and would stay there again if we were planning to sightsee and would make better use of the facilities. If I had the option I would say it was good rather than average, but not very good because of the cost!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Paula S
Derby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 July 2014

After looking for a family room in Oxford, we nearly went home. Thank goodness we found this lovely hotel! Such warm friendly stuff, clean and excellent family size room! It changed our view of Oxford accommodation.

We highly recommend, it was good value.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family