“Poor Fish - terrible response to constructive criticism!”
Review of Posh Fish

Posh Fish
Ranked #204 of 629 Restaurants in Oxford
Price range: US$1 - US$19
Dining options: After-hours
Description: Posh Fish sell a variety of fish and chip meals as well as all day breakfasts, kebabs, steaks and chicken meals. We are also licensed to sell alcohol. A takeaway menu is also available. Large orders welcome.Friendly family run business. We try to use local produce when ever possible. We don't use GM foods and all cooking is done in pure vegetable oil with no trans-fats. We always use the best frying Maris-piper potatoes what ever the price.
Oxford, United Kingdom
“Poor Fish - terrible response to constructive criticism!”
Reviewed 23 September 2013

I have been living in Jericho since 2006 and have been a regular customer to Posh Fish. However, to my dismay I have noticed a change to the quality and quantity over the last 6 months or so: I got a bag of totally hard old chips about a month ago and thought it was a slip. But on Saturday I got two fish and chips with again hard chewy chips and fish which was tiny and was covered by a mega thick, greasy, doughy, disgusting batter which we could not eat as it was so bad and when I weighed it at home came to 370g for two fish!!! I went back to the shop and wanted to put it to the staff. They did not take this as constructive criticism but just got defensive and said I was rude and I was the only one who had ever complained. I said this was not an adequate response to my criticism and they should be grateful if people told them instead just staying away. I had come to this place for years; the f&c had always been good; and now it was not good anymore and if they wanted to have a look at the batter (I had brought it back in the bag) and tell me if they found it good batter. They never looked at it. As I got rather annoyed at their incapability to see my input as a chance to improve again and go back to the normal quality I said that I was disappointed and said that instead of accusing me of getting it all wrong they should strictly speaking offer me half my money back as a compensation for the poor fish and chips and then take the criticism and try to get better again at their methodology. But they got the wrong end of the stick again and only saw me as trouble maker and nuisance and gave me six quid and did not want to hear anything about their poor fish. I still had not given up as I thought maybe it is the staff and the manager needs to know about it and then improve again. I have been an old customer after all and I like good fish and chips! However, phoning the manager was even worse than dealing with the staff! He had heard the case of his staff and had built his own theory of the case and with this he stuck: he claimed that I found his fish too expensive and said that this was the real reason for me to complain. He was constantly talking, defending himself, saying his fish was perfect and the quality unchanged. He did not want to know anything of what I had to say to him. In the end I lost patience and said if he felt that his fish was perfect then unfortunately I could not agree with him. And unfortunately I could not buy my fish and chips at his place anymore. I feel very sorry as I really used to like this place. I will have to go to the Donnington Bridge fish and chips place now which is ridiculous thinking I live in Jericho.

• Visited September 2013
2 Thank Christina F

“Posh Fish, Jericho”
Reviewed 28 August 2013

What we should have done is returned this greasy mess in front of waiting customers!
Anything fried needs to be done at the right temperature. It's obvious here that whoever is in charge needs to be trained. With a too thick batter the fish cooks longer and dries out as well.
Posh would be moist fish in a thin crispy batter and chips that are not soggy with grease. Perhaps the cook from the London Road shop can lend a hand in Jericho.

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank Carolyn D
Oxford, United Kingdom
“Best fish and chips in Oxford”
Reviewed 11 August 2013

Excellent food both in the restaurant and at the counter for take away, fresh and tasty, great value for money, speedy friendly staff. Love Posh Fish.

Visited August 2013
1 Thank katerocks4
Toronto
“Huge plate of Fish 'n Chips”
Reviewed 7 July 2013

We were really hungry and we had heard that the food was really good. The portions are huge and the fish was nicely battered.
A little greasy....service was not great.

Visited July 2013
2 Thank TheStarr
london
“HUGE portions”
Reviewed 7 July 2013

An excellent local fish and chip shop which is always packed out. Portions are generally very large. Chips are delicious and a good range of freshly cooked fish and other chip shop favourites. Staff are as friendly as they can be given they are usually run off their feet! They often give waiting children a lolly which always goes down a storm. Feel very lucky to have Posh Fish n our doorstep.

• Visited July 2013