“Average at best, over priced”

The Ridings Guest House
Ranked #65 of 82 Oxford B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“Average at best, over priced”
Reviewed 14 January 2014

It was average, the room was clean but that's the best that can be said about it. it wasn't very inviting when we arrived it felt as if no one was expecting us, when the door was opened every thing was covered in dust sheets, they were having decorating work done but still not exactly the welcome you want, neither was the skip out front (meaning although parking was promised we had to park down the road....)
The guest house wasn't exactly the place you'd want to spend much time.... There was no lock on our bedroom door which wasn't great, we did not leave our bags there during the day either.
It's located on a very busy main road, so although the bed was comfortable you didn't get a great right sleep.
Breakfast again average, would have been nice to be offered maybe a continental option. One of my friends had an allergy which they did not cater to, even though we let them know in advance.
One a whole I would say if this were less then £50 a night I would say its good, but as not exactly cheap defiantly not worth the money, especially considering your not particularly close to town.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Western Australia
Reviewed 18 November 2013

The Ridings dishonoured our booking despite me booking and paying a deposit 5 months ahead. The owner refused to even look at our booking confirmation and would accept no resonsibility. It was Oxfords busy festival weekend. He bullied us into accepting some totally inferior replacement accommodation for a similar price but refused to refund our deposit! Eventually the booking agency reimbursed the deposit but that did little to make up for the deadful experience we had due to the Ridings dishonouring our booking. We had travelled from Austrlalia with my elderly mother. I had put a great deal of time finding what we thought would be comfortable and convenient accommodation for the three of us but we ended a nightmare. So my advice to all is do not risk booking at The Ridings as they cannot be trusted to honour your booking and you could end having your stay in Oxford totally spoilt like we did!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank westernmeggie

Travellers are raving about these Oxford hotels

Royal Tunbridge Wells, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 November 2013

Rather soul-less and slightly random decor but clean and everything seemed to be in good working order. No one lives on site but the man coming in to cook etc was polite and friendly and seemed like a hard worker. I was at the front of the house and the constant traffic on the wet road kept me awake the first night. Breakfast was very basic.
Not a place I would choose to stay in again but it did the job OK and is a 20 min walk into the centre of Oxford or a short bus ride so good position.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 9 October 2013

A strange guest house in one of the many nondescript suburbs of Oxford. There are no on site staff and the recommended number to call is the mobile of someone who seems to live in Liverpool and has not heard of the property so it could take a while to get in. Rooms are adequate if not completely clean. Breakfast is only served between 8.30 and 9.30 presumably so they can say they are a b&b - most guests have to leave before then. Rooms are insecure due to inadequate locks and this accommodation is unsuitable for lone women. There is some parking but no decent pubs or restaurants nearby. It can be a long way to the toilet from some rooms or a wait when you get there. One for the desperate only I guess!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank reiver59
Reviewed 13 July 2013

the ridings lived up to all the positive and negativ comments found on trip advisor which is how I selected this b & b. Great hosts, helpful with advice about Oxford, with great breakfasts, comfortable rooms, and a quiet location. ( double glazed windows so traffic noise negligible). bus each day to city centre, buses very regular, ie every 10 mins max, 3 pound return approx.
enjoyed Oxford, visited some interesting colleges and the manager george is verry nice and cute.This guest house is perfectly I would like to find something to be critical but in truth the guest house is good value for money and if you like a good service, a great breakfast and a good location for Oxford then this may be the place for you. thank you for the good service

Room Tip: room 3 is it quiet:>
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
London
Reviewed 12 July 2013

I stayed two nights here, the first one terrible, the second considerably better. The window handle in my room had broken off and I was unable to close it, so spent a horrendously sleepless night listening to the traffic outside and an insomniac barking dog. The second night I found that the window, though not mended, had been pressed shut from the outside and the room was much quieter. The main problem with "The Ridings" is, I think, that the owner doesn't live there. There is a manager who sleeps onsite but was available, as far as I could tell, only during part of the morning. He was perfectly civil and ready to help, and there are notices with telephone numbers to ring in case of queries but if there had been a proprietor there all the time I would, for example, have asked for some decaffeinated coffee sachets in my room. I wasn't going to ring him up about it. The room was rather poky but acceptable and the breakfast was also acceptable, though fried eggs shouldn't be hard. You don't expect luxury in a guest house, but you do expect the sense of being a guest and this was missing. Otherwise, the place was decently cared for, and although a half-hour's walk from the centre of Oxford, very well served with buses. Be warned- neither soap nor shampoo is provided. It's not terrible, but one can get better value elsewhere.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank chelseabunLondon
Oxford
Reviewed 14 June 2013

Dirty stained ripped rugs and furnishings-- very disappointing. It did not match up with the descriptions in the website which lead me to believe it was a nice place. Three men of different nationalities were there and gave the place a somewhat threatening air. There was not any nice English couple running the place. Everything was old and dingy. It was a cramped little row house with a bathroom downstairs which you'd have to share. Breakfast was served too late for us-- we had to leave for my daughter's graduation before 9:00 a.m. which was the only time offered for breakfast. But the atmosphere was so unfriendly and unpleasant we didn't want to eat there anyway. It was an unpleasant walk up a very busy street which was too long for lugging suitcases in order to get to the center of town where Oxford was-- it was way overpriced. It would have been poor quality for a youth hostel. We were disgusted with it. We spent as little time there as possible. We needed to take the bus to get into town. During the short time we were there at night, we were talking in to the room in a conversational tone and the owner/manager or someone else we hadn't seen banged on the door twice presumably to tell us to whisper or be quiet-- so obviously there is no sound proofing. What a total dump. It was rated 4/5 outstanding for customer satisfaction. It seemed to be talking about a different place. Don't go there. I wish I hadn't.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

1 Thank Laura R