“Very poor”

Ranked #72 of 82 Oxford B&B and Inns
Southampton, United Kingdom
“Very poor”
Reviewed 11 November 2013

On arrival room was very cold, even the receptionist had her coat on.
Breakfast nothing more than average - not much available on the continental side.
Could write my name in the dust on the bedside clock.
Over priced
Will not be returning.

Room Tip: Don't go!
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank Sally S

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 October 2013

I stayed here last weekend whilst visiting my daughter at University. From the 4 star rating I expected a fairly decent b&b, however it was not. Not only were the staff rude and unfriendly, the property was dated, the rooms not very clean with grey, limp towels and the water was freezing cold. The breakfast was also cold and there was hardly any continental left. It advertises 'ample parking', but the carpark was full. When I complained to the lady on reception the next day she simply laughed. I would definitely not recommend.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank bc1234422

Travellers are raving about these Oxford hotels

Saltburn by the Sea
Reviewed 13 October 2013

We have stayed here several times for several reasons. Firstly there is Parking where your car could rest if you are staying a couple of days. There are frequent buses just outside which take you to town or London. There are downstairs rooms for the less fleet and one has a view of the pleasant large garden. The breakfast is good with no pretensions of 'local food' and the price is all right for Oxford where hotels are outside the average person's means. Our room was a good size but I understand that the single rooms are the usual "cupboard size'. The ladies who run the place are pleasant but like the other reviewers the owner's interest is lacking apart from an added 2.5% addition to credit card payments.

Room Tip: Ask for a downstairs room.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Bridgwater, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 October 2013 via mobile

Stayed on my own....all other b&bs were fully booked so jumped at the chance to take a room here. Was quoted £75 for a twin ensuite which was more than I had been paying at other b&bs but needed the room so took it.

Upon arrival staff were very friendly and walked me through a lovely, well decorated breakfast dining room and lounge/bar area to my room on the other side of the house.

Well I was thoroughly disappointed. It was smelly and freezing cold! I had been in the hospital all day so wanted a quick nap as it was early afternoon, the bed was so uncomfortable and I had to use the duvets off both beds to keep warm. Around 5pm the heating finally came on but the windows are so poor and old most the heat was lost through them. I went back to the hospital for the evening and returned to my rom about 10pm. It wasn't much warmer but the heat had helped disburse the damp smell. The bed was the most uncomfortable thing I have tried to sleep in, I even tried the other bed as it was a twin room and that just made so much noise every time I moved. There was a lot of noise of people moving around upstairs until about midnight and then it started again about 5am. The noise from the main road was very load, I know you should expect it due to the position but some double glazing could help. I had such a restless, cold night in an old, dated and poorly cleaned room.

At breakfast again staff were very friendly and the food was ok.

If I had paid £60 for my room I may not be complaining but was expecting much more for £75!

Stay elsewhere if you want a good night sleep.....

Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank hatti002
The Hague, The Netherlands
Reviewed 21 September 2013

I stayed at the Pickwicks’ Guest house in Oxford during September. We first stayed here back in 2008 , and since then ,every time to go back to Oxford we stay at Pickwicks. Some comments about the Guest House :

Location
Excellent location in Oxford. On London Road on the entrance from London. Busy area in Headington, within walking distance to multiple restaurants, Waitrose, Iceland, The CoOp, as well as Brookes University. The Airline Bus from Heathrow and London – Oxford Bus stop is minutes away. Public Bus to central Oxford across the street.

Transportation from Airport
We arrived to Heathrow and just took The Airline Bus from terminal 5, and in 45 minutes we were in the stop just minutes away from Pickwicks within walking distance. Pickwicks has free parking area in case you arrive by car.

Reception
The reception staff was very friendly and helpful. We checked-in in minutes . On Departure we could leave our luggage in the area in front of reception with no problem.

Rooms
We stayed in a big space double room ensuite. It had a double bed, flat screen TV with dozens of channels, complete bath with shower. The bed was very comfortable.

Restaurant
The Guest House restaurant offers Full English Breakfast, with a good selection of Coffee, Juices, Milk, Cereal and fruits. Excellent Breakfast to start the day.

Internet
There is free internet in all the Guest House. In our room during 3 days worked perfectly with no problem.

Overall a good experience and I recommend Pickwicks Guest House if you are looking for a clean and comfortable place with great location !

Room Tip: The rooms facing the garden are very quiet.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 August 2013

Arrived and all seemed Ok - the property was quite tired looking and needed more than a coat of paint inside - we had been travelling for nearly 3 hours with the traffic and asked if the bar was open - response was they had a bar but had no beer or wine!!!!! We got to our room and the sash windows were inoperable - either wide open or wedged shut - squeaky beds - which resulted in no sleep for either of us as when one turned over it woke the other up!!!! Not to mention the traffic noise (again because the bathroom window was broken and wouldn't close) Breakfast was ok but as soon as you have finished the plates were whisked away in a flash... I think the main issues here are that the place isn't run by the owners - they were 'abroad' and were not contactable so no pride in the running of the place....... we were supposed to be there for 2 nights but ended up leaving after only 1 night with no sleep..... and they tried to charge us for the other night - we didn't pay as we stated it was not fit for purpose.and I was so upset that my anniversary weekend had been ruined .... sorry Pickwicks but it's a no from me!

Room Tip: Book somewhere else
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank lumpieWestMidlands
Bergen
Reviewed 7 August 2013

We have stayed here once a year for 3 years, but have noticed a deterioration which is sad. It is obvious that it is not run by an owner who takes a personal interest in her/his guests. An example of basic carelessness is the garden, which is badly tended (if at all) though it was very lovely a few years back - and the garden lights don't light, etc. The rooms are still clean and much of the breakfast is Ok (even though they might have invested in sausages of a slightly higher quality!). The wi-fi system is still and always has been atrocious , and the claim that rooms have wi-fi is simply false - one has to go down to the sittingroom or diningroom to access. Irritatingly, the information book in the room is outdated by many years and give wrong times for breakfast, write about restaurants that no longer exist, etc. It is completely useless! Very sloppy and yet an example of the abovementioned lack of care. This is very sad since the buildings and garden are nice, and the location is good.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business