“No wine glasses?!?!?”

Franco Manca Oxford
Ranked #101 of 767 Restaurants in Oxford
Price range: US$7 - US$40
Reviewed 6 November 2018 via mobile

My 12 year old son and I were lucky enough to be staying in the beautiful city of Oxford for two days in half term. On our second night my son wanted pizza so we found this restaurant fairly near to our hotel. We waited a short time for a table and then got seated by the pleasant girl at the door. That’s where pleasant ended. We sat down only to be completely ignored for 15 mins. During this time I noticed people were drinking wine out of water glasses so by the time we were finally approached by waiting staff I decided sadly not to order wine. The waitress was to the point, sharp and completely disinterested. I was feeling very agitated. Then my garlic bread arrived......no butter or oil, just bread topped with tomato sauce enormous chunks of pretty much raw garlic, masses of mixed herbs and no seasoning. Essentially raw garlic pizza without cheese. I mean literally disgusting and as far as I was concerned inedible. My son’s pizza arrived, pepperoni and it was fine, nothing special but tasty enough. I had ordered a chicken salad which should have had mixed leaves. There were no mixed leaves, just one type of uninteresting soggy lettuce leaf, the spiced chicken was bland and tasteless ( I also found a huge piece of gristle ) which I left on the garlic bread plate. The only good thing and it really was good was the bacon. When the waiter finally came to clear he didn’t ask how the food was ( or care I suspect ). So I explained that the garlic bread was cheese less garlic pizza. He replied ‘fair enough’ and walked off. When the bill arrived the bread had been taken off which I was obviously pleased about but an apology or even a conversation would have been nice. In summary dreadful food and even worse staff. The people queuing outside I can only presume were Franco first timers.

Date of visit: November 2018
Franco M, Manager at Franco Manca Oxford, responded to this reviewResponded 8 November 2018

Hi Lain1,

That is so disappointing to read and such a shame, especially as the pizzeria normally enjoys an excellent reputation.
We are saddened that you ended up feeling let down by how the whole thing was dealt with and would love it if you could contact us at socialmedia@francomanca.co.uk so we can discuss it further?

Reviewed 5 November 2018 via mobile

We visited here before seeing The Feeling. The menu was interesting, service was fast and the food was tasty.
The tiramisu portion was huge.
I would definitely eat here again, if visiting Oxford.

Date of visit: November 2018
Reviewed 2 November 2018

We stopped by for lunch before a show at a theatre nearby, and it was a very short wait before being seated in a crowded restaurant. We ordered three pizza to share between to share, and it really took a long time for the food to be served. Pizzas were quite average, not the best, but not bad. Even getting the bill to pay was slow.

Date of visit: October 2018
Franco M, Manager at Franco Manca Oxford, responded to this reviewResponded 3 November 2018

Jip79,
it''s upsetting to hear that you did not receive the top-notch service we strive to provide. We would like to get more details about this; please contact us at your earliest convenience at socialmedia@francomanca.co.uk so we can address this situation directly. Thank you and have a great day.

Reviewed 30 October 2018 via mobile

Recently visited oxford for few days to spend some time with a friend,and I went sunday to Franco manca. Had great welcoming at the door,beautiful atmosphere. Chefs were very busy,but I loved my ‘burrata pugliese’ and the meat special with the butternut squash base!
Service has been really good too! Had a real Italian coffee made by Emanuela. Price reasonable and good food quality. 100% recommended!

Reviewed 29 October 2018

I had dinner here a few days ago and the pizza was amazing. The restaurant was really busy but the manager Marco (he was actually from Italy) took care of my order.
Overall was an amazing experience and Marco adviced me a really good pizza.
I'll come back here for sure