“variable in every way but fun”
Review of Wok and Roll

Wok and Roll
Ranked #485 of 640 Restaurants in Oxford
Dining options: Delivery
Dining options: Delivery
Reviewed 2 July 2013

I come here every few months for lunch, and it is never the same twice running. Sometimes the food is really not very good, or small portions, other times its huge and delicious. Sometimes the right food comes in the right order, other times it's all over the place.

To compare the ambience to a works canteen is to be generous, but frankly who cares? you come here for a decent hot lunch, and to gaze in wonder at the many Chinese students who have read the _real_ menu and got an entirely different meal. The haphazard waitering adds to the charm. What is consistent is a decent fixed price for lunch.

There are newer reviews for Wok and Roll

Reviewed 28 May 2013

The atmosphere of this restaurant has always been fairly no-frills. They're not trying to create much of an atmosphere with the lighting or seating; it's just about getting a nice, good-value meal with no fuss. Wok 23 is very popular with Chinese students, which I think is a sign that it offers great food at a reasonable price.

However, the no-frills atmosphere is undermined by the very slow service. I came here with my husband a couple of weeks ago and it took them about 50 minutes to bring our food. They also got our order slightly wrong, but by the time it finally arrived we were too hungry to care so we just ate it. Other people in the restaurant were clearly waiting for just as long as us, if not longer. This is surprising given that there weren't many customers. I could see that the takeaway counter downstairs was very busy, so my guess is that they were prioritising takeaway orders over the restaurant meals.

There were two waiting staff, which seemed like overkill given that there were only about four tables in use, but one of them didn't seem to speak any English and just answered "Yes" to every question.

However, the food is amazing, especially the black bean tofu. I think if they could speed things up in the kitchen, probably by hiring an extra person, the place would be great.

Final note: the name and picture in this restaurant's TripAdvisor listing are wrong. The name changed from Wok & Roll to Wok 23 several years ago, and I don't recognise the picture at all.

Reviewed 26 May 2013

A couple of years ago the owners changed. Since then, it hasn't been the same. I returned to Wok and Roll for what will be my final time yesterday. The waitress could barely understand English, the food came out at different time, they brought sprite instead of water and then charged for it, and the surroundings were unclean. And now for the food - the nicest part of the meal was the noodles... the main dishes were all in a similar brown stodgy sauce, and the food looked like it had been sat there for too long. A couple of the prawns tasted off.

I'm disappointed, as this was previously a great place to go! Nowadays - plenty of better places in oxford to go and eat nice chinese without feeling ripped off/sick.

1  Thank RebeccaS1814
Reviewed 1 December 2012

Having eaten at this place for so many times, the food just starts to get boring. But the dumplings are always good, especially with the vinegar and chilli sauce. Also, there is this beef noodle soup that is worth trying.

Reviewed 13 March 2012

On a boating trip down the Oxford canal we fancied a Chinese meal and called in here having looked at the previous good tripadvisor reviews. The upstairs restaurant resembles a works canteen. Unpleasant furnishings and uncomfortable chairs and tables. Our drinks were served in plastic glasses and the wine lst consisted of cash and carry special red or white. Authentic Chinese is one thing but our waitress could barely understand english and getting our order across was close to impossible. We ordered a starter each and one came nearly 10 minutes before the other. The same happened with the main course, our 2 dishes were served and once they had sat and gone stone cold on even colder plates the noodles then followed. We were expected to eat all our food with a dessert spoon and fork! Our waitress hovering annoyingly close every minute of the meal. The food was actually very good. I would have no hesitation in going back for a take away. However, nothing could tempt me back for another sit down meal in this place.