“You get what you pay for...”
Review of Adams Guest House

and 1 more site!
Adams Guest House
Ranked #75 of 84 Oxford B&B and Inns
Reviewed 13 May 2012

Well I needed a bed for one night in Oxford close to the Oxford Center as I was attending a function there. I did not want to spend a fortune so chose the Adams.

I guess for £55 for a triple bedded room that was of decent size for one portly soul (myself) it was as expected.

Having read through the comments posted here I guess I had pretty low expectations and they lived up to them totally.

The place was clean (sort of) but it did have a pervading smell about the place. The owners did not speak fluent English so there was no hospitable welcome or social interaction with guests.

I would suggest all budding B&B owners should go to this place and try it just to see what not to do and how not to run a B&B. It ticked all those boxes!

They were not graded by either AA or Visit Britain. They had been listed back in 1985 by the Oxford Hotels & Guest House Association according to a well worn sign hanging in the reception area... it meant nothing.

I would say to anyone who books a room here to think twice unless you expect the worse then quite honestly you get what you pay for...

It was not a pleasurable nights stay and I have stayed in some pretty awful places. This ranked among the worst.

Room Tip: Room 4 was to the rear so quieter
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
There are newer reviews for Adams Guest House

Reviewed 29 April 2012

Adam's guest house is the best value for money B&B located at the heart of Summer town, oxford. I had to travel to UK for a sudden need and this was the best available B&B, close to my preferred location. Overall the room is stuffy, but the rooms are maintained neat and tidy. I had kept my window open for some time to get the stuffy feeling go off. Anyway the owner has a warm demeanour and was very friendly. The breakfast is good, though the portion is small, but then having bacon and egg, with a small portion of baked bean, a few toast , coffee and juice is sufficient to last till mid afternoon. The rest room is claustrophobic, but has hot shower and pump driven loo, that is quite noisy. Overall my experience was good and had stayed here for close to 20+ days.

Room Tip: rooms away from the street is less noisier.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 25 April 2012

I stayed at this guest house as part of a Coast to Coast cycle ride. The B&B was relatively easy to find in the Summerfield area of Oxford. There is a rank of shops and a pub in the close vaccinity of this B&B which is what I needed after a hard days cycle. I stayed in the single room at the top of the B&B and paid £45! This was about the cheapest rate I could find for a B&B in Oxford. The room was very compact but relatively clean. The shower pump made some very strange noises whilst I used it and the Digital TV was on a difficult angle to watch. If I moved the TV you would lose reception. Sqeeky floorboards but had a good nights sleep. They had a garage I could use where I securely locked my bike for the night. I did not have the breakfast as I left early.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 9 March 2012

The owner is not friendly. His wife doesn't speak English. When we arrived the room was under construction with workers ... The room was dirty. Dust everywhere. The breakfast very bad. No cooked breakfast. Shameful.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 30 January 2012

Person who answered door didn't really understand English. Lobby was grubby, carpets were filthy, and then the room.... Room 7 was THICK with dust, bathroom hadn't been cleaned in ages. Other peoples soap and shampoo in the shower (which was terrible).
Tv was on a dirty side with a indoor ariel in a cupboard laden with thick wads of dust. Shower room paper on walls was mouldy. After seeing this the last thing I wanted to do was eat breakfast there as well.
I had a shower and decided to go out.
On the way out i knocked to see tge manager.
After complaining and asking to see the manager I was told he wasn't there. Not sure if there is actually a manager at all.
We said we were not willing to pay full price for the room we were told no, if we weren't happy we should go. I explained how would I find some where else at 8:30pm and just got a blank look.!!!!
Oh and another thing. I had a look at the smoke alarm in the room and it was the same battery type I have in my house. So I had a look. And the battery was dead and had leaked. I think the fire officer may want to know so I will be contacting him too.
Avoid

• Stayed: February 2011
1  Thank Chipfatinasock
Reviewed 30 January 2012

Do not stay at this hotel i had a look at there web site on line it looked clean and tidy, i booked our lads in for 4 nights B & B its a DUMP its damp, smelly needs a total revamp (dont be deceived by the website pictures they are totaly wrong), the breakfast was unedible

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Cheryl T
Reviewed 5 December 2011

I was looking for somewhere economical in Summertown, with parking. At £45 only a shop doorway would be cheaper. I had a single room in the attic. The room was clean and the bed was comfortable. The room was small with nowhere to store my bag and no wardrobe. There was no plug in the washbasin. But all I needed was somewhere I could sleep as I would be out all day. Once I am asleep I don't notice how many cats could be swung in the space. The staff I met spoke English and were perfectly pleasant and helpful. I would go back.

Room Tip: I only stayed in one so I have no idea if any others are better.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled solo