“If you're reading TripAdvisor, its a great start”
Review of Adams Guest House

and 1 more site!
Adams Guest House
Ranked #75 of 82 Oxford B&B and Inns
Cardiff
“If you're reading TripAdvisor, its a great start”
Reviewed 28 October 2013

Hi. I don't feel that I can say a lot about this place as I wasn't there long. Ten minutes maybe. I didn't read Trip Advisor. We were paying £90 for a night here in oxford. I know thats not a lot in Oxford, and I didn't expect 5* treatment. I did expect 3*, and this was probably more 1*. I can vouch for all the descriptions on here (wish I read it earlier). The B&B is very dated and dirty. The room was absolutely terrible and disgusting. I have mild asthma and I could feel my chest get tight within the first five minutes. There was no way I could stay there. When we spoke to the lady to tell her that we weren't staying, she didn't understand what I was saying, she thought I just wanted to leave my keys and go to the shops. Like other readers say, you get what you pay for, but i didn't expect to pay £90 for this, even in Oxford which is why we left.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Jezz08

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed 4 September 2013

We were a little concerned about coming here given the negative reviews. We were happy with our accommodations considering the location and price. The room was clean, well equipped. We had TV, wifi, and parking. It was a great location and we would come again if visiting Oxford. We were put in as soon as we arrived in the afternoon. Furnishings, could be up graded.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 September 2013

Good value for money, shower room a bit small but made to feel very welcome. the b&b is advertised as family run but we did not get this impression. still the service was great and i would return. The area was lovely with some lovely bars to visit.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Hobart, Australia
Reviewed 26 August 2013

We chose to stay at Adams because it was advertised as being family run and we thought that it would be nice to stay in an authentic B & B as my husband had stayed in some lovely ones when last in England 16 years previously. We got there and when we finally got to our rooms after being told to come back later- we found that the "family room" was in fact 2 single beds and a double crammed into a very little space. There was not even room to comfortably put our suitcases and we only had small amount of luggage. The bathroom was the size of a small wardrobe and we had no instruction on how to use the shower due to language barrier as the B & B was managed by 2 relatively young girls who had very little English. Disappointing in a very lovely city.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family

Travellers are raving about these Oxford hotels

Liverpool, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 August 2013

Me and my teenage son were staying the night in Oxford and the Adams Guest House proved to be good value. Had considered a city centre Hotel but this was a hundred odd quid cheaper and did pretty much the same job without the fancy frills but with free parking that would add twenty pounds more to a city centre hotel bill. The only off putting aspect is the shabby exterior but inside its clean and decent and the staff were fine, A great location in Summertown amidst the shops and some great restaurants and only a five minute bus ride into town with a very regular service so you don't need the car. Beds comfortable and no noise outside after 11 when the bars/restaurants shut. The breakfast was fine too so overall a positive recommendation and cant believe the negative reviews elsewhere.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Iwiny, Poland
Reviewed 18 August 2013

I have stayed in this place for 4 nights with a 3 other colleagues. The place is total disaster:
- bathroom has size of 2m x 0,6m so that when you wash your hands you are forced to open bathroom doors
- 4 people room consists of 3 (yes: three) beds plus 1m2 of space used for other things (e.g. doors opening)
- the place is in general not very clean
- people who runs this place does not really speak english, which is quite surprising considering it's UK

For breakfest you get a typical full english.

Definatelly worst hotel I have seen in a looong time.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Grzegorz S
Galway, Ireland
Reviewed 29 March 2013

This was one of the worst places I have ever stayed if not the worst.

I stayed here with one other person as a last minute resort and we regretted it instantly.

When we arrived we were greeted by a member of stay who, to be fair was very nice. She brought us inside and up to the room.

The house itself probably hadn't been redecorated since the 70s - this I could have gotten over it was warm and clean, which it wasn't. The halls were also covered in yellow and brass signs with warnings on them. In the bedroom and bathroom the wallpaper was peeling off the walls, the bedclothes were dirty, the shower curtain was filthy, the bathroom floor was covered in dust....I could keep going on. Also the shower fixture faced into the wall so it was really difficult to shower under it. Not to mention that it was only a drizzle of water that came out and that it constantly went from scalding hot to freezing cold in the space of about 20 seconds.

It was also absolutely freezing. We stayed in February 2013 and it was particularly cold, even for this time of the year. This didn't seem to encourage staff to turn on the heating. When the heating did come on late in the evening the room didn't heat up much. Probably because all the heat was going out the old bedroom window, which was constantly letting in freezing cold air. I slept in my clothes for the duration of my stay.

The breakfast was pretty awful too and I didn't eat it after the first morning. I also noticed that despite the breakfast times being specified, if you came down in the last half hour of this period guests were often informed that the hot breakfast was finished.

I really could go on and on about this place for so much longer and I'm sure I have left out a lot of other things (oh also the TV in the room used to sporadically turn itself on in the middle of the night).

Don't stay here. I know it's cheap, but considered how dreadful it is the price they charge is ridiculous.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled on business