“Outstanding Service And Wonderful Hosts.”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Oxford
Sandfield Guest House
Ranked #8 of 80 Oxford B&B and Inns
Noosaville, Australia
“Outstanding Service And Wonderful Hosts.”
Reviewed 28 May 2012

I have recently stayed at Sandfield Guesthouse for 5 nights in April 2012. This delightful B&B is in a great location, you are in walking distance to the local shops and restaurants and there are bustops just out the front with good connections to Oxford City and surrounding areas as well as London.I was travelling with a friend, our rooms were the only ones on the floor, we had our own private bathroom which was great and so much better than a tiny ensuite.The rooms were spacious and spotless with very comfortable beds and all the facilities that you would expect to find, plus Free Wi-Fi.We loved it as it was very private, quiet and we were able to enjoy a good nights sleep. Each morning we enjoyed a delicious cooked breakfast made to order by Paul and of course there were cereals,yoghurts,fresh fruit, juices,tea and coffee. Not only is Paul a great cook but he is also a wonderful host.He was so obliging and helpful with directions and local maps as coming from Australia and New Zealand nothing was familiar. Anyone looking at visiting Oxford or surrounding areas may I suggest you stay at Sandfield Guest House. I highly recommend it, I couldn't fault it in any way and I would definately stay there again, in fact I tried to re-book for another visit but unfortunately it was booked out, so be sure to book early so you won't miss out.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank FMPark
, Owner at Sandfield Guest House, responded to this review, 26 June 2012
Dear FMPark,

Thank you for sharing your experiences of Sandfield House.

We strive to maintain the high standards expected of us and apologise for not being able to accommodate you on your return!

Paul & Natalia

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Midlands
Reviewed 26 May 2012

The 4-spot car park out front involves crossing a pavement and bicycle path, so take care when entering/leaving the premises. The owner (Paul) greeted me warmly, showed me around the amenities: the dining room for breakfast, door out into their well-kept back garden, stair panic button for night emergencies, etc.

Each bedroom is equipped with a TV, lamp, clock radio and drinks-making facilities plus laminated instructions for using their WiFi (worked perfectly first time). Although the room I was in (room 4) had a sink, it was the only one that didn't feature an en-suite: the private bathroom is out in the hallway, containing the only bath in the hotel (the other rooms had showers) so I was provided with keys, a bathrobe and advice to keep "my" bathroom locked!

There is plenty of Oxford literature scattered throughout the hotel, not just aerial views and picture postcards but many leaflets to take away describing places to eat, and of historical significance to visit. Paul has made up some paper maps of the town centre that identifies several locations of particular interest as well as bus stops (15 min trip into town, runs almost every 5 mins). He's certainly done his homework for visitors and is a marvellous ambassador for the city.

The overall décor of the place is "traditional" (although my bathroom was very modern-looking), well-used yet well-kept. Judging by the number of vacancies up and down the road I strongly suspect Paul's place is highly desirable solely for their customer service: nothing sounds like too much trouble for them. In the morning, help yourself to cereal, juice, fruit and hot drinks; orders are taken for the comprehensive cooked breakfast and they almost make it a challenge to ensure you leave fully-fed: both can be quite persuasive in partaking of their morning feasts!

My corner room gets the sun during the day through one window and in the evening through another, meaning it gets quite warm. For the winter this would be cosy but my stay coincided with daily temperatures in excess of 25 degrees, so it became stiflingly hot on the first night - I struggled with trying to figure out how to open the windows (secondary glazing slid straight back but original windows had a peculiar convoluted catch). Paul showed me how they worked and ensured they were left open for the remainder of my stay to cool the room down. Light sleepers may want to take note that - given the location of the premises - both windows do an exceptional job of cutting out road noise; I left them open at night and soon drifted off anyway.

The main street it sits on is stocked with several nearby eating places as well as other useful vendors (a barber, optician, garage, chemist) so travellers can easily restock on essentials. The bus stops to/from town are very closely situated and run very frequently; in the ten seconds it took me to reach the stop I missed three buses driving past and the next came within minutes.

On the last day Paul upright asked me for critique, what improvement opportunities I had spotted. There are so many indications that the establishment is committed to quality, I had a difficult time trying to find fault in my entire stay (the weather was outside of his control!)

It's unusual this day and age to find a gold-star service that comes at a bronze-star price: I certainly felt I got much more than I paid for. Other hotel proprietors with lower ratings ought to spend the one night at the Sandfield just to see how it should be done, and to prove it CAN be done.

Room Tip: Room 4 is the only one without en-suite (but has a separate private bathroom out in the hallway). B...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank PreacherKane
Sandfield, Owner at Sandfield Guest House, responded to this review, 12 June 2012
Dear PreacherKane,

Thank you ever so much for writing such a comprehensive, detailed... and positive(!)... review.

We both love Oxford and are always keen to help people enjoy the more famous "attractions" as well as to discover places we consider to be somewhat part of "hidden Oxford".

As keen travellers ourselves, we believe that a focus on customer service is a key element for any hotel or guest house to provide guests. It is more than reassuring that our efforts seem to make all the difference and are considered "value-added"

Thank you once again, we hope to see you again when you return to Oxford.

Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 25 May 2012

My friend and I rented the two rooms on the top floor which shared a private bathroom. It was a perfect set-up for us, had the floor to ourselves and the privacy of our own rooms. Paul & Natalia are gracious hosts. Breakfasts were outstanding. Paul was helpful in advising sites we should visit in the Cotswolds and Oxford. We also appreciated the wifi in the house and the garden. As others have reported the house is located close to bus stops. We enjoyed nearby pubs and used a self-service laundry a few blocks away. We definitely would return to Sandfield Guest House if visiting Oxford.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank pkaiau
Dear pkaiau,

We are really glad that you enjoyed Sandfield House & appreciated the tips and pointers for what to do in and around Oxford. We've only just had the WiFi upgraded to hi-speed fibre optics so it's good to know it's working well!

Thanks once again,

Caernarfon
Reviewed 22 May 2012

1st class accommodation, 1st class proprietors, 1st class service, 1st class meals. Would highly recommend to visitors to Oxford.
Clean, comfortable and welcoming - what more do you want?

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank mostog
Dear mostog,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of Sandfield House. We are glad you enjoyed your stay for your daughter's graduation and hope to see you again.

Istanbul, Turkey
Reviewed 12 May 2012

we stayed about a week and every single day we loved the sandfield guesthouse and its lovely owners more.. Paul is so dedicated and so kind that it makes you feel special. spotlessly celan rooms,very comfy bed, rich breakfast, a lovely garden are the least to say about Sandfield. The rooms are big and decorated with great taste and it has a nice very clean shower . more the wi-fi is free and the connection is well (you don t find it everywhere)..
moreover, it well-priced as well as well-situated. the bus stop is just outside and shops and many restaurants are close by. Paul is well furnished with tips of good restaurants and local taxi link also It's just round corner from the Manor Hospital which worked out for me very well. I would highly recommend Sandfield Guesthouse and I do hope to go back.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank aytulakel
Sandfield, Owner at Sandfield Guest House, responded to this review, 22 May 2012
Dear aytulakel,

We were so happy to have been able to ease your stay under difficult hospital circumstances. We hope to see you again in Oxford under more relaxed circumstances... when both of you could really take advantage of our tips & pointers as to how to get the most out of the city we love: Oxford.

All the best for a swift recovery,

norwich
Reviewed 18 April 2012

My single room was great value and a lucky find as so many places dont have single rooms. The Breakfast was good with plenty of choice and the young owners (Paul & Natalia) are always helpful and enthusiastic. Parking is free, you can walk or catch the bus into Oxford Centre from the house easily. The WiFi is free to keep ontop of those emails etc. I will stay again.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank skippy1977
Dear Skippy1977,

We were so pleased that you found value in one of the few single rooms in Headington, Oxford and that you enjoyed the free off-site parking and internet (only just recently upgraded to Infinity2 - super-high speed wireless access).

The best compliment we could receive is for a guest to want to return... that you did & appreciated the improvements we have made are most satisfying!

We look forward to your return,

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 February 2012

Having visited Oxford several times in the past few months, Sandfield Guest House has been a convenient, pleasant and accommodating place for me to stay. The bus route is immediately outside the guest house, with good connections to London and Oxford city centre only 10 minutes away.

Breakfast is cooked to order and included a range yoghurts, fruit juice etc. Paul's poached eggs are particularly worth trying!

The single rooms are great value, well appointed and always spotlessly clean. Paul & Natalia are great hosts, extremely keen to help & with a wealth of information about Oxford at their fingertips.

If you are looking for a well-priced, well-situated B&B with extremely attentive hosts, you won't do better than Sandfield Guest House. I would certainly advise anyone looking to discover Oxford to take advantage of the local knowledge Paul and Natalia have, the personal touches really lift Sandfeild Guest House into one of the very best guest houses I've stayed at.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled solo
3 Thank michael s
Sandfield, Owner at Sandfield Guest House, responded to this review, 19 March 2012
Dear michael s,

We were delighted to receive such a positive review & thank you for taking the time to write such a comprehensive assessment of the services we offer.

We look forward to greeting you once again when you return to Oxford & wish you all the best in the meantime.