“B&B: above and beyond” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Lina Guest House

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Lina Guest House
Ranked #56 of 84 Oxford B&B and Inns
Toronto, Canada
“B&B: above and beyond”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2013

I traveled solo to Oxford Oct. 31-Nov. 4th, 2013 for a conference, and stayed in this B&B. I chose it because the price was reasonable given all the other places in the expensive area and read good reviews. I arrived early at 10:30am (early flight) and neglected to inform the Lina prior (my own mistake); however, they were so kind as to accommodate me, and prepared the room right away so I could leave my things in there as I explored the town. When I asked what was for breakfast, and was informed it consisted of toast, cheese, croissant, yogurt, cereal, coffee/tea. When I arrived, I asked if they could have fruit (my usual breakfast), and they were SO KIND to oblige: there was a tray of apples and bananas on the table by the next morning! Also, on the last day, I forgot about the time change, and came down for breakfast an HOUR later (it was suppose to be closed): they were still kind enough to serve me breakfast! When my computer didn't work with the conversion transformer plug (I bought a cheap imitation one), the host was so kind as to rummage through his cupboard of supplies and lend one to me: it was have costed some $ and been a tremendous inconvenience had I been obliged to purchase it -- I truly appreciate all these seemingly little accommodations that made my travels go much more smoothly. If I were to return to Oxford, I'd definitely book this location again, and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it. It is a little far from the university area itself (35-minute walk; 10-12 minute bus); but the bus does come fairly frequently, so if you're organized/enjoy the walk, it's not an issue. If you are a tall person, I don't recommend booking the rooms on the upper floor with the shared washroom, as the space is small, and you have a slanted roof ceiling.

Room Tip: Rooms on upper floor with shared washroom are smaller: don't recommend it if you're 6-feet t...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank jo i

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Exeter, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 October 2013

This B&B is nicely decorated for a basic B&B. The room was comfy enough. Unfortunately, the blinds didn't work and curtains would be much better. Personally I'd prefer a duvet to sheet, but that is personal choice. My only real criticism is that the bathroom could be a lot cleaner, it wasn't nice to see the last person's toothpaste on the walls or in the bottom of the glass. The breakfast was simple but perfectly adequate, expect a continental breakfast! I found it expensive for what we got but appreciate that Oxford isn't cheap to stay.

I would suggest removing the price list for breakages, that was very odd!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Foodies55
Kew, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 October 2013

I have stayed twice at Lina Guest House. Last year (2012) I booked a room with an onsuite bathroom. Overall this room was good although a little cramped. The bed was comfortable, the room clean and well appointed. Breakfast was basic but satisfactory. Serving staff were pleasant and helpful. Concerns, however, for the ensuite bathroom were as follows: no place to put your shampoo and soap when having a shower; no facecloth; limited space in bathroom; small sink.
This year (2013) I booked a single room with a shared bathroom - bad mistake. I was trying to economize with this booking. Although the room size appeared okay, it quickly became apparent that because it was located under the room angle, half of the room was not accessible. In addition the bed was more of a cot than a bed - low to the floor and a little soft. The bathroom was adequate but again lacked a space for shampoo and soap. Again there was no face cloth. Serving staff were pleasant and helpful. I would strongly recommend hat if you consider Lina Guest House for a booking do not consider the single room with ensuite bathroom. It is poor quality for the money.
The house is convenient to local bus transportation. You can obtain a 24 hour bus pass inexpensively which allows you to travel around Oxford easily. The bus stops are close to the home.
If I stay here again I will book a similar room to that of 2012.

Room Tip: Don't book single room and shared bathroom unless costs are a primary concern.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank John W
Johannesburg, Gauteng, South Africa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2013

I had the pleasure of staying at this lovely little guest house in Summertown, Oxford. The rooms I used was clean and pleasantly furnished. The only downside although not for me but for a man using the basin to shave. It was a little narrow/small.
I have to say the Manager Sebastian was amazingly helpful and a wonderful host. So too were the staff.
Breakfast was lovely and just what one needs to start the day off.
There are many shops on your doorstep and the buses into city centre right on your doorstep.
Price was reasonable for Oxford accommodation and I have booked to stay there again in October.
I would recommend this to everyone!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
Whitley Bay, England
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2013

Recently stayed here on a 1 night stopover, basically you get what you pay for, the rooms were not the best just somewhere to rest your head. The breakfast was again basic, served to you rather than self service.
Overall adequate.
Thought their pricing policy was a bit steep if you happen to break anything,coffee cup £15 to replace, a chair £100, not a chippendale in sight.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank tiler75
Manila, Philippines
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2013 via mobile

The best thing one could say about Lina Guest House is that its rates were cheap. That said, I thought it represented poor value for money for the following reasons:
1. Room was not clean. Dusts had accumulated in the standing lamp which showed a lack of attention to hygiene by housekeeping
2. Difficulty reaching reception for check-in. We were outside for a good 15 minutes before anyone picked up the phone.
3. Bathroom tiny with fixtures broken. The towel hang and the tap was broken.
4. Soundproofing in room not good as we could hear passing traffic.
5. Still a way off the city center

Look elsewhere for a better value.

• Stayed June 2013
2 Thank Crossfitfoodie

Travellers are raving about these Oxford hotels

Essex, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2013

We were in Oxford for a weekend City break. The guest house is about 25 minutes walk from the centre along a main road. Every website states clearly that the breakfast is continental and it looks very nice, but we requested an English breakfast as offered in the room folder and it was delicious. The owner could not be more helpful, and allowed us access to the room three hours early. We would happily stay there again.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple