“Good enough for us” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #56 of 84 Oxford B&B and Inns
Hertford, United Kingdom
“Good enough for us”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2014 via mobile

Stayed here with my boyfriend over the weekend and it suited us fine. Room very clean and staff we came in contact with were pleasant. Only thing to complain about was the shower head was broken and the water went from very cold to very hot... No in between! However this would not stop us returning.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Birmingham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2014

Stayed in a twin room for two nights 26th to 28th June 2014.

The room was basic but nice, clean and pleasant. Beds were comfortable with plenty of room for suitcases.
The bathroom was basic, and fairly clean - the shower fitting was broken and hanging off the wall slightly. It could do with a spring clean, new paint etc. but it's fine.

Interior of the breakfast room is again pleasant, though a little dated.
You're served breakfast - both times we were served promptly. I was disappointed with the lack of choice - and lack of cooked breakfast.
We were offered cereal (children's variety small pack), and then shared a basket of toast, croissants and yoghurt (with jam, butter and cheese). The nice warm croissant did make up for it - if it was just toast or cereal I would've asked for something else.
There was also a large fruit bowl on a nearby table.

Staff were friendly and helpful. When we stayed, the hotel was nice and quiet at night, no noise at all. There was a little noise from people / cars outside but it wasn't unbearable.

Really nice location and nice area in Summertown - I stayed for a conference at St Hugh's college which was a quick 10mins walk. The free parking was a real bonus!!

I would stay there again if in that area!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Wiltshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2014

I was living out of a suitcase whilst my dear wife was in hospital. My problem was finding accommodation at short notice, with parking, in a tourist city, at a reasonable price. Fortunately it was out of season, so I soon found the Lina and booked for one night. I arrived to find that the few parking spaces available to residents were all filled (thanks to the Mercedes owner who saw fit to park across two bays) The manager, Sebastian, without hesitation, moved his own car to allow me to park behind the property. I was shown two available rooms at the top of the house, the first only had a skylight for natural light and the second overlooked the road to the front. They both shared a bathroom on the same floor. I chose the room at the front which I found to be compact but comfortable, although may be more challenging to taller 6' plus amongst you.
The souvenir hunters may wish to peruse the price list (photo attached) for missing or damaged items in the room. I am all for deterring theft but what if the item was missing in the first place? In your best interest to run your own inventory against the list. £10 for a spoon!

Room Tip: If travelling alone and you are offered the choice between two rooms at the upper part of the house...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
Birmingham, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 November 2013

Gave us wrong address so arrived to a diiferent place in taxi.
After phoning Got another taxi to real place.
Unstaffed Craphole
Broken bathroom features, not very clean
Bed too soft
Kept awake half the night by a police interrogation in the corridor!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
All they could say was Sorry, I'm sorry I paid 90 quid to not sleep!
Dreadful
Far from centre

Room Tip: Go elsewhere as police may visit
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank moonbeamstar

Travellers are raving about these Oxford hotels

Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2013

I traveled solo to Oxford Oct. 31-Nov. 4th, 2013 for a conference, and stayed in this B&B. I chose it because the price was reasonable given all the other places in the expensive area and read good reviews. I arrived early at 10:30am (early flight) and neglected to inform the Lina prior (my own mistake); however, they were so kind as to accommodate me, and prepared the room right away so I could leave my things in there as I explored the town. When I asked what was for breakfast, and was informed it consisted of toast, cheese, croissant, yogurt, cereal, coffee/tea. When I arrived, I asked if they could have fruit (my usual breakfast), and they were SO KIND to oblige: there was a tray of apples and bananas on the table by the next morning! Also, on the last day, I forgot about the time change, and came down for breakfast an HOUR later (it was suppose to be closed): they were still kind enough to serve me breakfast! When my computer didn't work with the conversion transformer plug (I bought a cheap imitation one), the host was so kind as to rummage through his cupboard of supplies and lend one to me: it was have costed some $ and been a tremendous inconvenience had I been obliged to purchase it -- I truly appreciate all these seemingly little accommodations that made my travels go much more smoothly. If I were to return to Oxford, I'd definitely book this location again, and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it. It is a little far from the university area itself (35-minute walk; 10-12 minute bus); but the bus does come fairly frequently, so if you're organized/enjoy the walk, it's not an issue. If you are a tall person, I don't recommend booking the rooms on the upper floor with the shared washroom, as the space is small, and you have a slanted roof ceiling.

Room Tip: Rooms on upper floor with shared washroom are smaller: don't recommend it if you're 6-feet t...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank jo i
Exeter, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 October 2013

This B&B is nicely decorated for a basic B&B. The room was comfy enough. Unfortunately, the blinds didn't work and curtains would be much better. Personally I'd prefer a duvet to sheet, but that is personal choice. My only real criticism is that the bathroom could be a lot cleaner, it wasn't nice to see the last person's toothpaste on the walls or in the bottom of the glass. The breakfast was simple but perfectly adequate, expect a continental breakfast! I found it expensive for what we got but appreciate that Oxford isn't cheap to stay.

I would suggest removing the price list for breakages, that was very odd!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Foodies55
Kew, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 October 2013

I have stayed twice at Lina Guest House. Last year (2012) I booked a room with an onsuite bathroom. Overall this room was good although a little cramped. The bed was comfortable, the room clean and well appointed. Breakfast was basic but satisfactory. Serving staff were pleasant and helpful. Concerns, however, for the ensuite bathroom were as follows: no place to put your shampoo and soap when having a shower; no facecloth; limited space in bathroom; small sink.
This year (2013) I booked a single room with a shared bathroom - bad mistake. I was trying to economize with this booking. Although the room size appeared okay, it quickly became apparent that because it was located under the room angle, half of the room was not accessible. In addition the bed was more of a cot than a bed - low to the floor and a little soft. The bathroom was adequate but again lacked a space for shampoo and soap. Again there was no face cloth. Serving staff were pleasant and helpful. I would strongly recommend hat if you consider Lina Guest House for a booking do not consider the single room with ensuite bathroom. It is poor quality for the money.
The house is convenient to local bus transportation. You can obtain a 24 hour bus pass inexpensively which allows you to travel around Oxford easily. The bus stops are close to the home.
If I stay here again I will book a similar room to that of 2012.

Room Tip: Don't book single room and shared bathroom unless costs are a primary concern.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled solo