“6 real ales all kept to perfection and lovely real pub feeling”
Review of The White Horse

The White Horse
Ranked #65 of 742 Restaurants in Oxford
Price range: US$4 - US$4
Cuisines: Pub
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: Located in the heart of the City sandwiched between Blackwells Bookstore and opposite the Sheldonian Theatre. A grade two listed building dating back to the 16th century. Famous for our Fish and Chips. Also famous for filming of Inspector Morse in the 1980's and more recently 'Lewis' and the new 'Endeavour' Real ales and traditional home cooked food makes us a must visit when you are in Oxford.We are not a gastro pub or restaurant, we are a great British Pub with Great pub food and drink. Open every day 12 till 11pm. Food all day till 9pm Please note Sunday closing 10pm
Reviewed 5 November 2018

On a day trip to Oxford we got off the tour bus thankfully at Broad street to find this gem of a lovely pub. Even if you are not a real ale drinker (they have 6 on tap) its worth a visit for the food. My wife had the chilli con carne which she enjoyed and I had game pie with mash and veg. It was wonderful and I can remember the last time I had such good game pie.

Date of visit: November 2018
Jacqueline P, Owner at The White Horse, responded to this reviewResponded 7 November 2018

Thank you very much for your great comments. We do try to offer a good selection of ales predominantly local.

Our Game pie is fresh homemade with all butter pastry no margarine on the premises!

Come back soon!

Reviewed 30 October 2018

My wife and I ate lunch here. I had the burger and my wife had the salmon.

In short, the meal was disappointing in many respects. First, my burger was not nice. The bun was dry, the meat lacked seasoning and the use of cherry tomatoes in a burger is just weird and impractical. Given the quality of the food, the meal was not good value. I can only assume this place survives on the tourist trade.

The strange smell and laminate tables really makes this an all-round unpleasant dining experience on the day I visited.

I would not eat her again. I would not recommend to friends and family.

Date of visit: October 2018
Jacqueline P, Owner at The White Horse, responded to this reviewResponded 31 October 2018

Hello

I’m so sorry you were disappointed with your experience. I have not had any feedback from my management team or staff to date I truly hope you did say something to the team. I am of course going to investigate the food complaint.

Tables have been in place 7 years now and are practical if not aesthetically pleasing. .
‘Smell I’m not sure whether it’s the scented candles, or other so can’t respond on that. We are, in my defence, a grade two listed building with Victorian sewerage system and I know we do have problems with the drains at times. Again something we cannot change unfortunately.

It’s a shame you cannot give us another chance we have been here for more than 14 years now and are concerned with regards to negative feedback.

Reviewed 28 October 2018

Nice english pub in the center of Oxford. After a long day of visiting Oxford we had a lovely diner. The staf was very friendly and helpful. We recommend eating in this pub!

Hello

Thank you very much. We are so happy you enjoyed your experience.

Reviewed 20 October 2018

I have known the White Horse for over 40 years. It has had its ups and downs and our last visit indicated a down period. Service was good, but the food not so. Calamari was cool and rubbery. The ploughman's lunch was served with a side salad comprising mostly heavy duty lettuce and a piece of synthetic baguette thinly sliced. For what it was, it seemed over priced. There are several better options locally.

Date of visit: October 2018
Jacqueline P, Owner at The White Horse, responded to this reviewResponded 21 October 2018

Hello

Such a shame as this could easily be rectified immediately. Very unusual for a ploughman’s to get a poor review as we cook our own ham, Oxford blue cheese sourced locally , white cheese apple, pickles chips baguette. I have contacted staff to see if we have had any complaints recently for anything as all complaints are logged purely to ensure customer service is maintained.

We have had no complaints logged for the past three weeks. This is not to say that you did have a bad experience however weare very approachable and would have offered you a solution or changed the order.

We have been at The White Horse for 14 years and do pride ourselves on home cooked food and good service.

We hope you do come back to give us another chance.

Reviewed 12 October 2018

This is a quaint boutique pub that does well with its excellent location and its involvement with the UK TV series, Morse, Lewis, and Endeavour.
There is a wide range of beers and other drinks.
On the day we were there, the Soup of the Day had absolutely NO flavour at all, except Parsley. Three people tried to identify it but to no avail. It turned out, the soup was supposed to be Carrot and Coriander, but according to the wait staff, although it was freshly made, the carrots used that day had no taste. Doubtless, on another day, it would have been tastier, but a good cook tastes and adapts.

Date of visit: October 2018
Jacqueline P, Owner at The White Horse, responded to this reviewResponded 13 October 2018

Hello

So sorry you did not enjoy the soup. It’s correct we do make our own and basically we add no additives or artificial colouring or flavouring. Just a little salt. We are careful not to add too much salt as customers do have different taste expectations. We could have changed it or indeed had another dish the staff are very accommodating.

If you could give us another chance come back and try again of course no charge. Just bring along this text response.