“Great stay”

north wales
“Great stay”
Reviewed 1 November 2011

Hi

My wife and i booked a two night break away.

Lovely hotel and friendly staff, good location. No problems and would fully recommend it

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
OldParsonage, General Manager at Old Parsonage Hotel, responded to this review, 3 November 2011
Thank you very much for your comments.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

Best Regards,

Deniz Bostanci

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (116)
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 31 October 2011

My wife and I stayed for three nights at the Old Parsonage in Oxford. We had stayed there several years ago and it was nice to see that they have updated the rooms while retaining the charm of staying in an older building. We were in what they referred to as a double room on the second floor. The room had clearly been two rooms at some point as we had a separate seating area. The room looked out onto the garden and had two small balconies that we would have used if the weather had been better. The staff was very friendly and the entrance area had a welcoming fire going all the time. Breakfast is served in a small but elegantly decorated dining area. The Old Parsonage is very convenient to the sights of Oxford and it is only a few minutes walk to the Broad Street and the High Street. It is a very short taxi ride to the train station. The car park is quite small and fills up quickly so the train is recommended.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
Thank you very much for your kind comments.

We hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the future.

Kind Regards,

Deniz Bostanci
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 October 2011

We enjoyed an afternoon tea yesterday to celebrate my husbands 50th Birthday. Whilst the atmosphere of the Old Parsonage was fabulous and the food was really lovely, we were slightly disappointed at being allocated a table right by the front door. I booked this treat 6+ weeks prior to the date so would have preferred a better location. Not only was the table by the door, which was constantly being opened and closed, but it was also by the reception, so as we were enjoying our afternoon tea we constantly had people standing beside and around us wanting to check in/check out etc. I did ask if we could be moved and was told there was no alternative table, unfortunately. Overall the afternoon tea was superb and had we had a better table location the experience would have been more enjoyable. This has not put us off going again, but perhaps is worthy of note for future visitors.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
OldParsonage, General Manager at Old Parsonage Hotel, responded to this review, 29 October 2011
Thank you very much for your comments.

I am glad you enjoyed your afternoon tea. Please let me know next time you wish to come back, we will be happy to accommodate you in a different part of the restaurant.

Hope to see you soon.

Kindest Regards
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 October 2011

I would thoroughly recommend the Old Parsonage. The look and feel blends perfectly with Oxford - its pretty, classy has bags of history on its own. The room was well appointed and exuded a feeling of calm. We took advantage of the complimentary walking tour run by a local resident which was a real highlight - you get real insight into the location, history, architecture and more - the perfect way to absorb all that Oxford has to offer. Parking is very limited so would recommend arriving early. Breakfast (eggs benedict) was simply divine.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
OldParsonage, General Manager at Old Parsonage Hotel, responded to this review, 25 October 2011
Thanks a lot for your review.

Hope to see you back soon.

Kind Regards
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 17 October 2011

I recently stayed four nights at the Old Parsonage Hotel. I will certainly stay here again when in Oxford. I had a large room on the ground floor. Service was prompt, friendly, and helpful. It is an easy walk into the center of Oxford. The weather was beautiful which made things even better. Room service for breakfast was timely and tasty. Bed was very comfortable. Make sure to dine at the Quad on Sunday night for jazz. Little extras like weather report and suggestions for what to do, including map and guided walking tour are nice extras. I could not have been happier with discovering this lovely little property.

Room Tip: My room was main floor, facing the inner courtyard. Very quiet and comfortable.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
OldParsonage, General Manager at Old Parsonage Hotel, responded to this review, 18 October 2011
Thank you very much for your review. I am very glad you enjoyed your stay. Hope to see you again soon.
Kindest Regards
Cardiff UK
Reviewed 13 October 2011

Stayed for several nights recently. Very central. 17th century building so some uneven floors and narrow stairs in places but this is unavoidable. We had a good-sized room with a vast bed, possibly the most comfortable we have ever slept in anywhere.

No real complaints except that charging separately for breakfast was a bit fiddly and expensive but very good quality. The supplies of tea/coffee in the room were a bit niggardly too.

Parking - the hotel has fourteen spaces and parking is not easy in the city centre. Walking distance to the railway station and a bus stop outside.

Highly recommended.

Staff all pleasant and competent.

Room Tip: Room 30 is a good size but stairs steep and narrow.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
OldParsonage, General Manager at Old Parsonage Hotel, responded to this review, 15 October 2011
Thank you very much for your comments. I am so glad that you enjoyed your stay. We have a bed and breakfast rate available as well as room only rate. Please let me know next time you are coming. Hope to see you here again soon.
Kind Regards,
Michigan
Reviewed 8 October 2011

I spent three nights last week at theOld Parsonage while I helped my daughter settle in at Oxford for her graduate studies. I arrived by rail near noon from London (one hour trek from London's Paddington) and took a 5 pound taxi ride to the Hotel. Bus service is also available, with a stop right at the Inn's door. It's located a short walk from city centre (less than 10 minutes), but about a twenty minute walk from the rail station. With luggage in tow, I felt the cab ride was worth the extra expense.

The Hotel oozes English charm. You enter through a courtyard restaurant and register at the small front desk in the cozy lobby (that doubles as the bar, complete with a library and roaring fireplace.) It is a dark, small space but is well appointed with comfy chairs, tables and art work. The service was mostly pleasant (Jack, especially, is warm and welcoming...only one sour puss in the front desk lot and she works evenings.) My room was not prepared, but I was able to check in and have my luggage stored until it was ready.

Because my daughter was moving into her campus flat, I was staying at the Hotel solo. I booked the smallest room (29) and felt safe and sound throughout my stay. The bathroom was large and modern and the room was clean and comfortable. The view is of an alley (and there was a little nighttime noise drifting up.) There is a rooftop courtyard across the hallway which was nice for a breath of fresh air. Wireless is not available ensuite, but was on the rooftop courtyard and in the lobby and restaurant. Even so, the service was dodgy and uneven. There is no business centre to use onsite.

Housekeeping was a bit uneven, as well. The room was clean, but I never received turn down service during my stay. Not a deal breaker, just a bit of a disappointment. Use your "do not disturb" sign as they start knocking early (before 9am!)

The hotel advertises that bikes are available for use, but each time I inquired, they were already in use. Also, they offer "free" tours, but again, when I inquired, I was told that they were booked up or unavailable and that I should go to the Oxford Information Centre and take the 6 pound tour downtown. Again, not a big deal, but a little puzzling because they heavily advertise these extra perks.

The restaurant offers breakfast, lunch, tea and dinner. The food is mostly traditional English fare and is fine except the coffee...go to the city centre and enjoy a Starbucks, please! The tea service is a good value as compared to the high tea I attended in London at Fortnum and Mason's earlier in the week. The sister restaurant Quod (at the Old Bank) was delightful with a broader menu, as was Gee (a glasshouse restaurant just up Banbury Road.) For my taste, I preferred those establishments.

Overall, my stay was pleasant. I'll be back in Oxford a few times this year and will consider the Old Parsonage Hotel because of its location, charm and the friendliness of some staff (along with the Old Bank, the Cotswold Inn and the Randolph) when making arrangements. Cheers!

• Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank Lisa H
Thank you for your review.
I’m glad you enjoyed your stay with us on the whole. I’m sorry you did not receive turndown. We offer this to all guests and I will certainly look in to why you did not on this occasion.
We do have some bikes, both here and at the Old Bank hotel. We lend them on a first come first serve basis. We intend to increase the number in the next few months so availability should not be a problem in the future.
More good news: we now have wireless access in all rooms!
We run a complimentary tour every day from the Old Bank Hotel between 2pm and 4pm. Generally there are spaces available. I am a little surprised to hear you could not attend one of these. My apologies for that.
I look forward to seeing you again soon.
Kind regards