“Excellent venue for food”

Best Western Plus Oxford Linton Lodge Hotel
Ranked #15 of 45 Hotels in Oxford
Reviewed 28 June 2011

Visited with a coach party returning from Royal Ascot for an evening meal. Although our group was small in number we were treated excellently and made most welcome. The meal was served efficiently and the food good value, Staff were very amenable, and overall pleased with the package. We will look to returning again in the future and recommend the restaurant to others.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business

Reviewed 27 June 2011

We stayed with a group of about 30 people at Best Western and it was all in all fine. Though they were a bit too bureaucratic during the check in, it went well. Rooms were ok, not really spacey, but fine. Breakfast was rather good.
Unfortunately the hotel is about 2 km from the Bodleian Library etc. away, so try to take the bus to get back to the hotel.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 13 June 2011

Stayed at the Linton lodge with my wife for the weekend and was very pleased with our choice. It is set in a very quiet road about a 15 minute walk from the centre of the town.
We had a warm welcome on arriving at reception and were quickly checked in.
The room itself was a good size, nicely furnished and with a good size bed. We didn't eat at the hotel itself, we made use of the numerous cafes, pubs and bars in the town centre. Had a great weekend and would recomend Oxford and this hotel for a great break.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 June 2011

Stayed at Linton Lodge yesterday for one night. Hotel was a £6 ride from the station and again around a £6 ride into the town centre.

Arrived at 3.15pm and was told that although check in was at 2.00pm our rooms weren't ready and that a check in time doesn't guarantee entry into your room. Strange, as I'm sure we started paying for the room from 2.00pm. Anyway, after a drink in the bar we were informed that at 3.45pm our room was ready.

Room was nice and bright and yes, it was clean. Beds were comfy. Generally hotel staff were polite and helpful. Walls were a bit thin and you could hear neighbours voices and doors slamming as people checked out early next morning but otherwise hotel was quiet.

A good base for a short stay in Oxford.

• Stayed: June 2011
Reviewed 27 May 2011

The location is in a quite residential area, fifteen minutes walk from the city. The room was large with a 32 inch TV and two arm chairs. The only thing was the view from room 119 was a brick wall. The breakfast was good, I don't think it was worth £12, but ours was included in our room rate, which was reasonable at about £100 a night for a double with breakfast. The only time I went in the bar was on the first night I found it a bit expensive.

Room Tip: book with a on line provider for cheap deals
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 May 2011

Stayed here because most of the hotels in the area I usually stay were full. Initial impressions were not good - male receptionist distinctly frosty.

Room (executive double) just about OK, seemed very hot, not surprising as the radiator was full on. Laminated sheet by the TV said "press list for available channels". I did so and selected Sky Sports - got an error message. Rang up reception to ask about it, and same receptionist actually got as far as "well I don't know what you expect me to...." before correcting himself and saying "I'll send someone down". Young lady who just about spoke English came down and said "we don't have Sky".

Well that's fair enough - I'd no reason to expect it but in that case don't have a card that implies you do - then no-one will ring reception.

Bar had three draught beers - every one of them out of action.

Restaurant had one plus point - a very friendly and helpful young lady taking the orders. Tried the hot buffet - believe me this is one to avoid. For hot, read "lukewarm, dried up and tasteless". I suppose you don't expect the earth for £9.99 but this was truly bad.

General decor of the place is a bit dark and the paintwork could do with touching up. I imagine car parking will be a bit difficult if the hotel is full, but not the case when I was there. Walls seem a bit thin - there was a lot of noise from the corridor and the room above, and I don't think the people concerned were being particularly noisy.

The wi-fi worked but extremely slowly - it was too slow to load my work VPN client.

I guess if your main reason for staying here is to be reasonably close to the centre of Oxford without paying an exhorbitant rate, then this could be OK. Personally I won't be staying here again. Even in an otherwise below average hotel, a sense of being welcome can go a long way. The lady in the restaurant excepted, I felt far from welcome here.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank moose4721
terryJH, General Manager at Best Western Plus Oxford Linton Lodge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 May 2011

Thank you very much for your comments, they are very much appriciated. All comments are very important to us and are taken seriously. We use them to improve our standards and for staff training. I apologise for our shortcomings during your stay with us and I sincerely hope you will consider staying with us again in the future.

Reviewed 25 April 2011

This hotel is ideal for visiting Oxford. With free parking (most hotels charge £30) and just a 20 min walk into the centre I think it was a bargain at just £55.00 (room only) We didn't have breakfast or use the bar so cannot comment on what they were like. The room itself was very clean if a little hot but there was a fan that we used. The bed was not the best and that goes for the pillows too. However for one night it was fine. Check-in and out was efficient. Would stay again for short break.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple

Thank you very much for your comments, they are much appriciated.