“Good weekend”

Ranked #20 of 44 Hotels in Oxford
Newcastle, United Kingdom
“Good weekend”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 November 2011

Stayed at the Linton lodge for a long weekend and was very pleased with our choice. It is set in a very quiet road and only a 15 minute walk from the centre of the town.

Had a nice friendly welcome on arrival at reception and were quickly checked in.
The room itself was a spacious, nicely decorated and with a huge bed.

I didn't eat at the hotel itself, as wated to experience the local pubs and bars in the town centre.

Had an amazing weekend and would recomend Oxford and this hotel for a great break.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank smittykitty28
LintonLodge99, General Manager at Best Western Oxford Linton Lodge Hotel, responded to this review, 4 November 2011
Thank you very much for your review and we are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. We look forward to welcoming you back and we hope that you get a chance to dine in our Restaurant next time.

Once again thank you very much

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (126)
  • Korean first
Worcestershire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 October 2011

I think with all of these things that you have to consider what you are paying when writing a review of a budget category hotel.

I've stayed at several expensive 4* establishments and felt very dissapointed as when paying well over £100 per night you expect something pretty damn good.

I paid in the region of £55 or so for a night's stay here - room only. On that basis, the room was of a reasonable size with a decent sized TV and the room was clean. The room had a large window overlooking the rear garden lined with trees.

The Best Westerns do tend to have character as they are older properies more often instead of being purpose built housing blocks as many budget chains are. This can of course lead to inconsistencies in standards but my room was fine.

All in all; you can park for free at the rear of the building where they have a car park, the hotel is in a quiet residential road and is a few minutes walk from the main road where there are plenty of buses that are a few minutes from the city centre.

I can't comment on the food as I didn't eat here but in all honesty and for what I paid, a good location, a clean room and car parking facilities make this a good deal if you accept its in the budget category. Its ideal for a budget stay in Oxford where hotels can be very expensive which is why I've given it a good rating for what I paid.

Stayed August 2011, travelled on business
LintonLodge99, General Manager at Best Western Oxford Linton Lodge Hotel, responded to this review, 31 October 2011
Thank you very much for your review and we are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay. The location of the hotel in relation to centre of Oxford is what makes our hotel so popular and ideal for a business or leisure stay.

Once again thank you for our review and we look forward to welcoming you back to Linton Lodge

Kind Regards
Susanne Bange
Gothenburg, Sweden
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 September 2011

To start off, make no mistake about which class this hotel belongs to. It is more of a budget hotel than a high end one and this is manifested both here and there. Seduced by the good memories from the last stay (2007) and the free wifi (as always at BW) I went for this hotel again. I did seem to need to refresh my memory...

The location of this hotel is quite good for visiting the university, which was my purpose, but it is more of a walk compared to the more expensive hotels in central Oxford. The staff is nice and helpful but I can't help noticing that I spoke to only one native English speaker during my stay. The rooms are all-in-all nice and in good shape, but I simply can't give any praise to the comfort of the beds which were far on the springy side for my taste. I got a room on the ground floor this time and I did find the noise from stamping feet from the room above -quite- disturbing. The restaurant serves a decent cooked breakfast but while other hotels may throw in a bit variation in their menu every few days this one doesn't seem to do so. On this particular trip the one dinner I had in the restaurant was a letdown, however, recalling my last stay some years ago I remember the dinner to have been better. This could be chef-related. Also worth mentioning, the hotel bar has a very poor selection of beers.

These details all sum up to a budget feeling but then again the rates at this hotel are well below those in central Oxford. I could see myself staying here again (opting for a room on the second floor) but I would seriously consider looking for other options first the next time around.

Room Tip: Try not to stay on the ground floor.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
LintonLodge99, General Manager at Best Western Oxford Linton Lodge Hotel, responded to this review, 20 September 2011
Thank you for your response about your stay here at Linton Lodge Oxford. We are always looking to improve what we have to offer and we thank you for your comments that have been passed onto the team here and will be addressed immediately.
Milano
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 September 2011

Well, the Linton Lodge had been a great disappointment!

Although I did ask specifically, while making my reservation, for a high floor room, I didn't get it; I didn't even have a sort of an explanation, why my request had been ignored, while checking in. I know very well that these kind of requests are not guaranteed but, as I said before, just a little explanation would have been enough, to me; it would have made me feel, at least, welcome and "understood".
I always do request a top floor room because I cannot sleep properly and just hearing the steps on the room above me can expose me to a sleepless night. All I got was a room directly above the parking... you can imagine the NOISE and the ODOUR. Room was also dated, in poor conditions and badly smelling.
The toilet seat was damaged and soon came off. When reported, they unsuccessfully did try to fix it but it was still unstable and tottering.

That's why I cannot recommend this hotel to someone else and definitely won’t be back again.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
Thank you very much for your review and can I firstly apologise for the experience you had here when you stayed with us. When possible we do try to accommodate people needs and I am sorry that on this occasion that we weren’t able to and you did not receive an explanation of why not. The maintenance in the rooms are one of our top priorities and although we did try and fix the toilet seat during your stay we are sorry that it still wasn't satisfactory. All the points you have raised have been passed onto our team. Once again thank you for your comments.

Travellers are raving about these Oxford hotels

Pennsylvania
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 September 2011

This is not a grand hotel/motel--but it is a satisfactory one. The rooms are small even by European/UK standards--but I had no problems with that. The conveniences were convenient and the bed fine and the room was tidy and clean.

The breakfast is very good and the dining is "ok". There is kind of quasi-pub attached and they are "ok" too.

If you happen to be passing through and do not have extravagant plans for your room, this one is worth the cost (reasonable) and the stay ("ok"). I plan to use it again when I go to Oxford on business in a few months and that should say all that needs to be said.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
Liverpool, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 September 2011

hotel was handy for oxford sightseeing.we did not know that wedding guests were staying.there was shouting and dinking under our bedroom window.till the very early hours .also our fire alarm went off in our room,because somebody was smoking in theirs.The night porter was appologetic,but we were very tired the next day.would not book here again.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
LintonLodge99, General Manager at Best Western Oxford Linton Lodge Hotel, responded to this review, 13 September 2011
Thank you very much for your review and can I apologise about the lack of sleep you experienced when you stayed here due to a Wedding taking place here at the time. We do hope though that you enjoyed your time visiting Oxford.
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2011

I stayed at the Linton Lodge for a business trip and was quite comfortable. The bathroom was large and functional, the bed was comfortable and the room was quiet. The hotel in general could do with an upgrade of the communal areas but as my room was of a good standard this did not bother me. The only problem was the staff, who could not work the coffee machine on the bar and when my friend gave the wrong room number at breakfast they were convinced she was not staying at the hotel! Overall though it was a good experience and I heard good reports of the hotel restaurant, so I might eat there next time.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
Thank you very much for your review and we are glad you enjoyed your stay at Linton Lodge. Thank you also for bringing to my attention the problems you experienced with the service at the bar and at breakfast, please be assured this is being looked into straight away and re training will be carried out.