“Great Staff - but Oh dear!” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Best Western Linton Lodge Hotel

Best Western Linton Lodge Hotel
Ranked #18 of 44 Hotels in Oxford
Perth, Australia
“Great Staff - but Oh dear!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 October 2013

Ask to see the room before you pay. Ok, I booked a single room and expected a cell, albeit a clean one. But I did not expect a cell with a double bed. A no-brainer – no room to move around. The bathroom was spacious and my bedroom was probably the small sitting room to a two bedroom suite. Just guessing. Décor was dated, and a bit grubby.

The only thing that this hotel has going for it is its staff – all are pleasant and fighting a losing battle with disgruntled guests.

And the food?! I travel frequently and the breakfast at Linton was awful. It looks ok, but everything was of the poorest quality. Putting one’s teeth into an old, old apple was not a quality experience. And I can’t say much about the evening smorgasbord, except for the upset stomach and diarrhea that continued for the next three days. Avoid.

Room Tip: Ask to see the room before you pay!
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
LintonLodge99, General Manager at Best Western Linton Lodge Hotel, responded to this review, 31 October 2013
Thank you for sending your feedback regarding your recent stay at the BEST WESTERN Linton lodge Hotel, Oxford.

Your business is very important to us and we value your opinion. I am disappointed that you did not raise your concerns whilst staying with us so that we could have rectified the situation before you left.

I am sure it is of little comfort to you now but we are currently undergoing a refurbishment which will address some of the issues that you raise regarding the hotel structure.

I have noted your comments regarding the food, but without firm knowledge as to when you stayed it is difficult for me to address these issues direct as we have had no other negative feedback and nothing was brought to our attention by yourself directly

I do hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the near future but If I can be of assistance, please don't hesitate to contact me at 01865 553461.

Keith Walford

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (123)
  • Korean first
Halifax, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 October 2013

My husband and I stayed 2 nights, Sunday & Monday. The staff were friendly and helpful and the room was just perfect with a nice garden view. The garden area was lovely but it was raining whilst we were there so could not take advantage of sitting out in the evening. Other reviews I read commented on the 'long walk' into Oxford. This took the two of us about 20 minutes on the Sunday when we arrived, but in reality it took us less than 15 minutes, as far as I am concerned that is not far. There is a decent car park so no need to take it into Oxford and pay for parking also plenty of buses.

We actually stayed at the hotel for our evening meal on the Sunday, this was a buffet style 2 course meal (starter & roast meats and veg) with glass of wine for £12 with no restrictions on how many times you could go back for more, we could not fault it.

We chose this hotel for location and the parking, It was good value for money and would stay there again.

Happy travelers West Yorskhrie

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Your business is very important to us and we value your opinion. By telling us what you liked about your stay, and how we can improve, you are helping us deliver a better experience for you and other guests in the future.

We hope you will come back and see us again soon.

Belfast, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 October 2013

Large room with comfortable bed. Very pleasant and helpful staff on the reception desk. Breakfast was great, lots of choice. Regular bus to town if you don't fancy a short walk. I'll definitely return if in the area again for work.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank djr00mba
Thank you for your email, I am glad that your enjoyed your stay with us and we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future

Liverpool
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 September 2013

My wife and I stayed 2 nights at the linton lodge. We had room 8 which has a view of the garden at the rear of the hotel, a large room with nice bathroom. The only criticism was the creaking floorboards from the room above, the 1st night disturbed our sleep but the 2nd night wasn't really a problem. The buffet breakfast is very good and enough choice to suit all tastes. It's quite a long walk into oxford city centre but we found the buses very reliable, every 5 minutes and costing £1.70 for a single journey but you can buy a 24 hour pass for £4.00 which gives you unlimited journeys. All in all a perfect hotel for exporing the delights of historic oxford. If we visit this area again we'll definitely stay at the linton lodge again.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you very much for your review and I am glad that you enjoyed your time with us here at BEST WESTERN Linton Lodge. Your feedback has been taken back to all the departments. If you find yourself in the area again we would be pleased to welcome you back.

Heidelberg, Germany
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 September 2013

Perfect for business travelers or anyone passing through the area. The staff is top notch and made by two week stay much more enjoyable. It's a bit of a walk to downtown Oxford, but it's easy enough and probably a good thing after feasting on fish and chips.

Enjoy!

• 5 of 5 bubbles
LintonLodge99, General Manager at Best Western Linton Lodge Hotel, responded to this review, 3 October 2013
Thank you for reviewing Linton Lodge hotel and I am glad that you enjoyed your 2 week stay with us.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the area

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 September 2013

This was my second stay at the Linton Lodge Hotel. This time I had a nicely decorated room on the ground floor, heating/ac, good TV, quiet room, kettle etc. for coffee/tea, nice enough bathroom with a walk-in shower, which is what I wanted. There is parking, free WiFi and the staff is very pleasant and efficient. The lobby, dining room and bar could be refreshed, but the area generally is very pleasant and the hotel enjoys a rear garden for nice weather. Not central, but most convenient for my purposes. I had one lunch and 2 breakfasts, all really decent for the price.

Room Tip: My ground floor newly done up room was very nice, though not large, with view into the car park. Th...
1 Thank Felicity R
Thank you for your review about the Linton Lodge Hotel, I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and all of your comments have been passed onto the team here.

Once again thank you for taking time to review the hotel

San Francisco, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 September 2013

My wife and I just stayed here for five nights. The room was roomy and clean. It overlooked the street, which worried us at first, but the street ended up being very quiet, so even my very sensitive wife didn't mind. The furnishings and decor are not super new, but they were nice enough. The front desk staff was very helpful and friendly. Another review here mentioned bad WiFi, but I didn't have any problem with the WiFi at all.

The location is not right in the center of Oxford -- for which you'd probably be paying a lot more -- but is within a comfortable walking distance of center, probably about twenty minutes, and the bus is just a bit over a block away. I actually enjoyed the walk from the hotel down pretty tree-lined streets.

The only negative thing I have to say was about the restaurant. It seemed like the staff had never worked in a restaurant before, it was almost comical. And the food was overly expensive, I'd recommend walking a few blocks down the main street to one of the many nearby pubs for a tastier and cheaper meal.

2 Thank Heather C
LintonLodge99, General Manager at Best Western Linton Lodge Hotel, responded to this review, 25 September 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent five night stay with us; we are glad that on the whole you enjoyed your time here. All of your comments have been taken on board and will be addressed accordingly.

Kind regards,