“Leisure break”

Ranked #17 of 44 Hotels in Oxford
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
“Leisure break”
Reviewed 30 July 2014

Stayed in a room that looked tired and obviously had not been part of the recent renovation project unfortunately the marketing implies that all the hotel has been refurbished - not true.
Staff are mostly young and foreign with limited experience and in need of more hands on direction from duty management particularly around the restaurant service, however they were very friendly and courteous. The restaurant menu selection is very poor and if staying for 3 or 4 days you would probably be looking to eat out after 2 nights, there are no daily special offerings on the menu.
The hotel location is very good for visiting Oxford city centre and the surrounding area.

Room Tip: Request a refurbished room with a garden view
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank 3322MJS
LintonLodge99, General Manager at Best Western Plus Oxford Linton Lodge Hotel, responded to this review, 31 July 2014
Thank you for submitting your review following your recent stay at the BEST WESTERN Linton Lodge Hotel, Oxford. Your business is very important to us and we value your feedback.
By telling us what you liked about your stay and how we can improve, you are helping us deliver a better experience for you and other guests in the future.
Keith Walford

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (137)
  • Korean first
Chappaqua, New York
Reviewed 29 July 2014

We arrived to find out we did not have a reservation. The reservation was made for a month earlier and I'll never know how the mistake was made and can only blame myself -- but I never received any notice about the no-show. However, not only did they charge 100% for each of the rooms for a no-show, they charged us almost double for the 2 rooms we needed as a last minute check in. Bottom line is we paid 3 times what the room was worth - and for a tiny, uncomfortable, hot room that was not within walking distance to anything. Oxford is a lovely town to explore, but find a nicer hotel.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
LintonLodge99, General Manager at Best Western Plus Oxford Linton Lodge Hotel, responded to this review, 30 July 2014
Please note that your original reservation, made by yourself, was made under our Advanced Purchase Rate and was therefore paid in advance and prepaid and not a no show. As you had made it for the wrong date this was not our fault and when you did arrive the room rates where higher.
Keith Walford

Travellers are raving about these Oxford hotels

Deal Island, MD
Reviewed 27 July 2014

The Best Western Linton Lodge. I really wish I could give this hotel an excellent review. In fact little was wrong, but the one that was, made this stay miserable. Now maybe the heat wave that Oxford experienced this past week--July 2014, wasn't the fault of this hotel, but the new room we were given lacked any form of environment control--as in no Air Conditioning, which I realize isn't standard for many British hotels, but this, our room and what looked like a good portion of this whole facility was going through a major refurbishment and it was beautiful. But, we couldn't even open a window!!! Now, the window simply wasn't designed to open at all. Believe me, I tried, and asked, but no. Which meant by the end of the day, the temps had reached in excess of 90 F, and I know this as I have small thermometer with me, which is warm by any standard. Why in the world is any building being newly constructed or remodelled designed without a window that at least opens a little???? Isn't that illegal? Had a fire been just outside our room, how would we even have escaped? No hammer to break the glass either. We were given a small fan, and though it moved the air, the air did not cool. Even by the next morning, when we went outside, the temps were very cool and refreshing, but our room was still in the high 80's!!!! This may be a minimal problem--hot temperatures for this area, limited in time, but the discomfort for the 2 nights was pretty severe. As both members of the travelling party have mobility issues, I requested a ground floor room, but never again!!! If that means no window to open a tiny bit, I'll endure long walks to get to my room in the future.
Otherwise, this hotel, especially the staff, all young ladies was fantastic. Too bad, the heat wave and lack of any climate control overshadowed the experience. From check-in to check-out, the staff were wonderful. High marks to their professionalism and willingness to accommodate requests, except, no other rooms as this place is apparently fully booked. Though it was rather warm through out the lobby and bar area, at least with windows that opened, and doors left open there was some relief from the heat. Word of warning, if using this hotel during the summer, be sure to request a room with a window that at least opens.
The remodel is a major change and what has been done is clean, neat and lovely. Sad, no way to really appreciate that over the room experience.
Please, Best Western, make windows which open. Better yet, time to realize many of your guests expect to manage the temperature of their room in both winter and summer. Being able to turn on the heat wasn't necessary, but having a cooling system is becoming necessary and expected. I hate to provide such a negative review, but it was that uncomfortable. Again, I have to ask, is having a room without some other way out of the room accessible by the guests even legal? Maybe building codes are different in England.
The bus stop was at the end of the street, and if necessary it was possible to walk into the town center, but the heat wave ensured that wasn't an option.
Again, positives--fantastic staff, and a new refurbishment made this hotel ideal, but the lack of any way to cool down the room and ability to open a window really made for an uncomfortable visit. I would imagine in any time other than a heat wave, and maybe other rooms, this would be a great hotel. Be sure to ask about your room before checking in or in your requests section. Too bad about this as marks would have been much higher if the room had some sort of way to cool it down. Consider putting in Air Conditioning please.

Room Tip: If it's hot weather, be sure to inquire about the ability to adjust your room to a more comforta...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
LintonLodge99, General Manager at Best Western Plus Oxford Linton Lodge Hotel, responded to this review, 29 July 2014
The room that you were staying in is directly underneath a Roof Fire Exit and the Fire Regulations dictate that the window has to be fire sealed for safety to protect this. This room however does have guest controlled electronic climate ventilation which should have been pointed out to you upon arrival.
I have passed your very kind comments on to all of the team here regarding the service that you received
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 July 2014

We had a by poor experience at Linton lodge. Our room was ok but the window did not open at all & there was no air con. It was summer & I think the room was at 30 degrees for most of our stay. There was a small fan but made no difference. Made worse by a fire alarm fault at 6.50 in the morning and poor service generally with no mention of an apology for the disturbance. We will not return.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Sally R
LintonLodge99, General Manager at Best Western Plus Oxford Linton Lodge Hotel, responded to this review, 28 July 2014
The room that you were allocated was one of our new rooms with guest controlled electronic ventilation adjacent to the Fire Window. The Fire Alram is there for all of our guests safety, and was not a fault but an activation within another bedroom. I apolgise that this was not pointed out to you and no apology offered. Had you mentioned any of this to us during your stay then corrective action could and would have been taken at the time.
Donaghcloney
Reviewed 23 July 2014

From the photos on the website the the hotel looks new and fresh, unfortunately the same couldn't be said about our accommodation. The corridor down to our room was narrow, grubby and cluttered, it was difficult to get into the room with our large case due to the position of the fire door. We were in a rush to get out to meet family so we didn't check round the room or bathroom. However, the next morning I was shocked by the amount of black mold round the windows when we opened them, this mold was also evident in the bathroom. The extractor fan in the bathroom was not working, this made the bathroom and bedroom smell damp.

The young lady on reception at check in was polite and helpful, one of the few! It seemed difficult for the staff in the restaurant to say good morning. There was no one on the reception desk when we wanted to check out, we waited for a few minutes and the receptionist appeared from the restaurant carrying her breakfast. She took our key, no "thank you for staying with us" or "was everything ok" she was obviously more interested in eating her breakfast than dealing with guests.

Best Western really need to get to grips with the issues in this hotel, I have stayed in many Best Western hotels this one really let's the chain down.

Room Tip: If you really have to stay here request one of the refurbished rooms!
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank LindaMcc30
LintonLodge99, General Manager at Best Western Plus Oxford Linton Lodge Hotel, responded to this review, 24 July 2014
I have sent a personal response direct upon your departure.
Braintree, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 July 2014

Check in was not without its problems, Room was shabby, cramped, hot and stuffy. Fan squeaked and rattled. Shower did not appear to be working well and gel dispenser didnt. Some staff were friendly and helpful, one in particular. Others seemed poorly trained, a waitress clearing the table while one of us was still eating for instance, and a receptionist who didnt bother to look up and say good morning.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Best Western GB

1 Thank Alan R
LintonLodge99, General Manager at Best Western Plus Oxford Linton Lodge Hotel, responded to this review, 22 July 2014
I have addressed the issues that you raised after your departure with you direct.
New York City, New York
Reviewed 20 July 2014

There are pros and cons to this location.
Pros:
1. The staff is lovely and polite.
2. The reception area is clean, bright and inviting.
3. You can walk to the center of Oxford, about 15-20 minutes or so. Buses are plentiful.
4. Quiet, safe neighborhood.
5. Bathroom is clean. Room is relatively clean, though the carpet looks like it could use a good washing.
6. Tea kettle, tea, small packets of cookies, sugar, creamer, etc all provided in room.
7. In room wifi.
Cons:
1. Stuffy room. No AC. Small fan was provided; I had to dismantle it and tighten things so it didn't rattle. There is a big window but it opens out onto the roof. Didn't feel comfortable keeping it open at night.
2. The room is tiny-- and ridiculously expensive for the size. How tiny? The desk is situated right across from the end of the bed, and the chair doesn't pull out all the way as it is stopped by the bed. Which meant that I had to climb up and stand on top of the chair to squeeze into the desk. Not great as I am here for business and need to work.
3. I called for room service. When I asked the server how to handle my tray, she said I could just keep it in my room on the desk (see #2 for why that wouldn't work). I told her that I needed to work. She suggested I put it on the floor outside my door. That wouldn't be great for my neighbor, who is right across the narrow hallway. Can I just call you to pick it up, I asked? Oh no, she said, just leave it in your room and housekeeping will pick it up tomorrow. Hmm.
4. The upholstering on the small armchair is really dingy and needs to be replaced or washed.

On the bright side, my colleague has a room that is way more spacious and looks lovely.

So.... this was fine for a couple nights but I would try somewhere else next time. There is NO WAY two people could comfortably fit in this room so I would definitely not come here with my boyfriend.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
LintonLodge99, General Manager at Best Western Plus Oxford Linton Lodge Hotel, responded to this review, 21 July 2014
I have noted your comments regarding the room facilities and size for which I apologise. I am sure that if you had brought this to our attention during your stay we would have gladly moved you to a larger room. I have also passed on your pros and cons to the relevant departments so that they can act and congratulate as necessary.