“Excellent stay”

Ranked #1 of 44 Hotels in Oxford
York, United Kingdom
“Excellent stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2014

My wife and I stayed for one night after driving down from York. The only hiccup was prior to arrival when we had to negotiate the Oxford restricted access system. A call to the hotel got us sorted (sat-nag users make for Magpie Lane). We ate an excellent meal in the Quod Brasserie with good service, an extensive menu and a comprehensive wine selection. Our air conditioned room was very comfortable and we got a good night's sleep. Breakfast the following day was excellent. Eggs florentine for my wife and a full English for me. Overall an excellent stay but quite expensive.

Room Tip: Choose a room at the rear.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Colin G
oldbank, Manager at Old Bank Hotel, responded to this review, 31 July 2014
Thanks for your review
So glad you enjoyed.
It is definitely worth planning your final entry to the car park. Satnav's don't pick up the traffic restriction on the high street so it pays to be careful and plan ahead. Or please call us and we can guide you in etc.
Ben Truesdale

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (270)
  • Turkish first
Lancaster
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2014

Had a lovely stay here last month and enjoyed the rooms, service was good and good value for money. Nice breakfast and had a good night sleep . We would definitely use this hotel again if visiting the area

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Helen C
oldbank, Manager at Old Bank Hotel, responded to this review, 8 July 2014
I do hope to see you again soon.
Essex
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2014

We love the Bank and the town of Oxford and we have stayed their at the Bank on a number of occasions. We visited for an overnight stay on Thursday 19th June. Everything was up to the usual high standard but at breakfast on the Friday morning we were very surprised to experience a very poor service. We both had some fruit from the buffet and I ordered tomatoes on white bread, Mrs Astute ordered some scrambled egg on brown toast. whilst we were waiting the waitress removed the cutlery which we thought was odd. After a wait I received tomatoes on brown toast and my wife received scrambled egg without toast. My wife asked for some toast which did not arrive, I did not complain thinking it was simple mistake. We started eating and my wife finished her breakfast having asked a second time for some toast. When a different waitress cleared the plates my wife what has happened to the toast. The waitress apologised and a box of toast did arrive which was plonked down in front of her. The service was in general very slow. Another table complained about their service and another person stood up and was more loud in their complaint about the service. I think there was an issue with the communicating our preferences

It would appear the whole staff at the bank are now people from eastern Europe. I did not encounter a single British person during our stay. Whilst these people are very helpful there is an issue with two way communication as English is not their first language. The management at the Bank may wish to consider some positive action and recruit some local people who's first language is English to achieve some level of diversity. What happened to the wonderful Jack, perhaps it was his day off?

I complained about the breakfast service when we checked out and to their credit there was an immediate no quibble refund of the cost of breakfast which I did not expect. I felt petty complaining as we are used to poor service elsewhere but not at the Bank.

We love the Bank and we will go back to stay soon and we highly recommend the hotel to anyone reading this review.

Room Tip: Choose a room at the front of the building if you can.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank AstuteEssex
Thanks so much for your review
I'm glad you enjoyed on the whole though I'm sorry breakfast was not up to scratch on this occasion. I do appreciate your points as regards Eastern European staff and we do try to employ a mix of staff, including English, with a good command of the English Language. We actually do actively seek to have some English staff who can easily pick up the nuances, as you suggest. However, I would also say that some of the most charming, talented, and nuanced staff I have met in my career have been non-natives. It is infuriating to have your order incorrectly taken, I must admit so my apologies there.
London, UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2014

The suite isn't good enough for the money. However, the staff were incredibly helpful, accommodating and friendly. I had a million and one questions and requests, prior to arrival, and the reception staff handled all with charm and patience. The public areas and restaurant are modern and attractive and there is an abundance of art around the place. The atmosphere is lively and buzzy. The staff and service were so good we really didn't mind that the room, whilst comfortable enough just wasn't good enough for the price.
The location is perfect as a base to explore Oxford. The food in the restaurant is very good.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank Well_travelled_Dad
Thanks very much for your review
Glad to hear you enjoyed. Sorry to hear you felt the rate didn't match.
I hope to see you again soon.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2014

My wife and I have just returned from a delightful long weekend in Oxford, staying two nights at the Old Bank Hotel on Oxford High Street.
The hotel is perfectly situated in the centre of the city, just a few minutes walk from many of the colleges and has its own car park, something of a rarity in the city.
The staff were very friendly and helpful and the complementary walking tour guide, David, was knowledgeable and welcomed any questions we had.
Quod, the hotel's restaurant, serves decent enough food and has a terrace at the back of the hotel where on Sunday evenings guests can dine while listening to a local jazz band.
We only had one complaint and that was our room.
Room 15, categorized as a "deluxe double" can best be described as a luxury dungeon due to its almost total lack of natural light. So much so that we had to go downstairs to the reception each morniong to see what the weather was like.
Room 15 is also situated at the end of the hotel next to a building site where work started promplty at 8am on Monday morning.
The hotel did reduce our final bill by approx. £80, however, having paid just shy of £400 (Sat) and £300 (Sun) for the two nights, excluding breakfast, we still felt ripped off.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Prop19
Thanks very much for your review
I'm glad you enjoyed the hotel on the whole, though I was sorry to hear you didn't like room 15. You are right, it isn't the lightest room in the hotel but it is one of the larger rooms. While there is some scaffold on the opposite building the work has not given us very much trouble on the whole and work is not supposed to start until after 9am on weekdays. I'm sorry that this wasn't the case during your stay.
I hope to see you again soon.
Regards
Fargo, North Dakota
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2014

The highlight of this hotel was the exceptional service of the front desk. They were flawless. Great location on High Street it has a nice bar/restaurant attached to it. I was in room 24 and it does not offer anything of interest to look at. Within about two blocks of High Street there is a wide selection of tourist shops from the Oxford University shop to antique shops. It is about a 20 minute walk from the train station or about an eight pound cab ride.

Room Tip: Try and get a room facing High Street for spectacular views.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Renaissanceman58102
oldbank, Manager at Old Bank Hotel, responded to this review, 29 June 2014
thanks so much for your review
I'm really glad you enjoyed your stay.
Regards
Ben
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2014

Enjoyed the stay we had here. Couldn't really fault anything other than the noisy location. Food and service were excellent, but expected at that price range. Would visit again as very convenient for working in Oxford.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank James R
Thanks so much for your review
Glad you enjoyed your stay.
Our rear facing rooms tend to be the quieter but front facing rooms have the benefit of better views on the whole.