“Charm and convenience”
Review of Old Bank Hotel

Old Bank Hotel
Ranked #1 of 44 Hotels in Oxford
Reviewed 17 August 2014

The wonderful location is the main reason I'd stay here again, but also factoring in is the charm of this lovely place. The staff is welcoming, and the guest lounge is a quiet spot for relaxing. The breakfast menu is excellent, and when we wanted a light meal after a busy day, the hostess made suggestions that were just perfect. The rooms are small, but this is expected in such an old, atmospheric building.
We were booked into this hotel by Viking River Cruises as an extension of our cruise, and we are really glad they chose it!

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
oldbank, Manager at Old Bank Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 August 2014

Thanks so much for your review
I'm glad you enjoyed the staff and location. I hope to see you on your next Viking trip.
Ben Truesdale

Write a ReviewReviews (1,218)

Reviewed 16 August 2014

Booked a private dinning room for a party of business colleagues. Nice enough, but food distinctly average overall, no particular complaints but won't be rushing back....nice surroundings and hotel itself very nice, just very underwhelming dinning experience

Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business

Thanks very much for your review
So sorry you felt underwhelmed.
I do hope you forwarded your comments to the restaurant team too, so they could look in to why you felt this way. I would hope that our private dining guests would be delighted by their experience.

Reviewed 15 August 2014

Before arriving I had no idea about "rising bollards" and the cutting off of traffic within the center of Oxford. It is imperative, really, that you stay centrally is you are going to maximize your time in all of the wonderful historic sites.
Expensive. Yes. Tiny rooms. Yes. Centrally located? Cannot be beat. Plus, the staff is lovely; the hotel is well maintained. There is FREE PARKING (albeit a mental status test to see if you can actually locate the car park and avoid an accident, particularly if this is the first stop whilst driving on the "other side" of the road as it was for us. I would stay again in a minute. The lovely brasserie QUOD serves great food (again, many criticisms for "overly priced for what you get" which I think was more to do with the rotten dollar-pound exchange rate than the hotel.

Room Tip: We faced onto High street which was not noisy and gave us a great view of the old Oxford architectur...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Lynne P. T
oldbank, Manager at Old Bank Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 August 2014

Thanks so much for your review
I'm glad you enjoyed and managed to find your way to the car park. It is always better to pre-plan that bit of your journey, I must admit, as Oxford can be a bit of a maze.
I hope to see you soon.

Reviewed 10 August 2014

We only had time for a short visit to Oxford, and this was the perfect place to stay! You could not have a more central location, the restaurant was nice, the room vas very nice and we had excellent service. If I come back to Oxford I will certainly try to stay here again.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Susanna B

Thanks so much

Reviewed 7 August 2014

Really comfortable and delicious experience at this hotel. We went on a stay and dine package for £285 plus drinks paid for on top on a semi business combined with mid week break trip on August 5th. We were looked after well. Quods food was excellent ,particularly the seafood risotto and woodsmoke grilled burgers. We stayed in a downstairs disabled room as I have quite severe arthritis.It was air conditioned. While admittedly, pricey, so are all the other half decent hotels in Oxford. But this hotel was really worth it, particularly as it is so central. They even welcomed us with champagne and bath salts. We were `allowed to stay in the car park well over time to on the day of departure which helped our visits to Bodleian and Trinity. Only quibble is current artwork on display not my taste, and the bacon for breakfast should have been back bacon & not fatty streaky.

Room Tip: We found that even though we were `adjacent to the ground flooor outside dining area, it was peacef...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank bellaItaliaUk

Thanks very much
I'm glad you enjoyed your stay with us. We do serve streaky bacon at breakfast but do have back bacon if required. So sorry we didn't manage to alert you to that.
I hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 5 August 2014

My daughter and I truly enjoyed our four day stay at the Old Bank Hotel at the beginning of July. Here are a few reasons why: First, it was located in the middle of the High Street in Oxford so it was super easy to get to. We had arrived from London, by bus (the Oxford Tube, highly recommend this too). and the bus stop was about a block from the hotel entrance! No need for a taxi or anything. An this central location on the High Street put us right in the middle of everything we wanted to see in Oxford. Second, the hotel is secure, clean and modern. My fear was that the hotel would not be what we are used to staying in back home (USA) but I was so pleased that the hotel was secure with the front desk near the entrance so they can see comings and goings. The entire property was clean and tidy. Our room was impeccably clean and fresh. And the hotel was modern. Third, Really great service. Now, it is a small hotel but that was fine for me. I felt all of the staff went out of their way to provide us with what we needed. They were always available to give great directions, provide complimentary use of the spiffy hotel umbrellas (it is England after all!) and really are kind and friendly. One evening I did not feel like going out so I wanted to order a curry to be delivered. While there were curry houses near the hotel the hotel bellman was able to suggest a far superior one with great prices and super speedy delivery. I feasted on the best Indian food that evening in my comfy room! Finally, the value of what we received for what we paid was good. It is on the pricey side of things but it really was a fabulous find! I have already thanked the person who recommended it to me and plan to stay there again in the future. And I didn't even mention the good restaurant in the hotel. Yum! You will just have to visit Old Bank Hotel and see for yourself!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank Mamajamma18

Thanks so much
I hope to see you here again very soon.

Reviewed 4 August 2014 via mobile

Great location, right in the middle of everything. The staff was very kind and accommodating. I was surprised by the roominess of the rooms for such a small hotel. They were updated with a nice size bathroom. It was great for 2 yet a small enough hotel I would feel comfortable letting the kids grab food or run downstairs without us.

• Stayed: July 2014