“My home away from home..”
Review of Old Bank Hotel

Old Bank Hotel
Ranked #1 of 44 Hotels in Oxford
Reviewed 13 August 2010

Once again, the Old Bank Hotel exceeded expectations. General Manager, Ben Truesdale runs such a smooth operation that everything just falls into place. I have been to this hotel before, but this time was just so worth writing about. The restaurant menu has not changed but the service has soared. While good enough in the past, the waitstaff is now very attentive and friendly. No more trying to flag down someone to take your order. The breakfast is substantial and varied with lots of choices. Some staff are new but you can tell right away that they ike their job. I was greeted with a smile, and while my room was not ready yet (I was quite early), I was checked in and could leave my bags and go for lunch. When I returned, my key was cheerfully handed to me and my room was the one I requested. In the morning, I was personally escorted into the dining room for breakfast by the GM, Ben, who happened to see me emerge from my room. He thanked me for staying once again, and I really felt like "part of the family".

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled solo

Reviewed 13 August 2010

service was excellent- ben, alene, lisa, guy, maric at reception. everyone was helpful and courteous. room very nice. over breakfast, i just ran into ben who asked how everything was. i mentioned that the extra bed was a bit creaky and the shower drain was a bit slow. by that afternoon, both matters were resolved. the room is very comfortable and quiet. central location excellent. front view from window, could see the bodleian library. behind the hotel is the shortcut gate to christchurch meadows. 10 mins walk to the left out of front door is oxford castle, 10 mins to the right is magdalen bridge from which to go punting. short walk from the london transfer buses (espress and oxford tube) as well as oxford city buses. free parking, free internet. i feel like this hotel really thought of travelers' needs. the second time i came here, i was able to avail of a promotional weekend rate which makes the stay sweeter. its quod restaurant has good food.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
oldbank, Manager at Old Bank Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 August 2010

Thanks very much for your review

I'm really glad your stay was enjoyable and that we managed to sort out those little issues, quickly and efficiently.

See you very soon, i hope.

Reviewed 10 August 2010

Staying here right now and using the in-room internet access provided in the price. (Other expensive hotels take note - internet access should never be an add-on).

Like a few other travellers, I'm staying in one of the two top level rooms. It's big, quiet, comfortable and offers pretty good views. It's like a mini-suite really, with a raised area for lounging and the bathroom is very big. I particularly like having a seperate shower/bath.

There's a little bit of wear and tear, but I like that. I don't want the cold perfection of a chain hotel.

The artwork throughout is rather good, the staff very friendly and the location perfect.

Negatives? The room is a little hot, and it's not exactly baking outside. There is aircon but it's quite noisy. I'd also have liked some complimentary biscuits to accompany my morning cuppa. They cost pence and touches like that distinguish great from very good.

Overall though, this is a fine hotel and I'd visit again without question.

****** Note - there's a buses/taxis only restriction which I didn't know about on the streets of Oxford. This might have cost me £80. My SatNav didn't know about this so that's someting to be aware of. I'm going to suggest that the hotel includes this info when booking, and also in it's confirmation email *****

Reviewed 9 August 2010

Great hotel centrally located. Expensive as a result and quite parsimonious. One towel and no bathrobes - in a room for two. Quickly rectified. Plates for inclusive breakfast buffet, which was sparse but fresh, were the size of saucers. Presumably to limit the food intake. There is no indication at all that there are different types of rooms on the website other than standard and double. BUT when you arrive there are many gradations of rooms. Our first night was in a very small room, but was upgraded to a very acceptable room the next night. So I guess if you are in the know, call and discuss what you will get!
Unlike most places in the UK the carpets were actually vacuumed and the hotel was very clean. There is a lovely garden which in the summer is outstanding. And the food at the restaurant is acceptable. Staff are very willing and friendly.
Also the "high speed" internet is 0.5MB/s which is definitely not high speed.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple

I'm glad you enjoyed the hotel.

When you booked on the website we only had availability for one room type and hence it only showed availability for what we had. We do have deluxe, superior deluxe and a suite but these will only show availability if they are not booked.

We sometime find that guests who book on the website don't add the correct number of guests to the room, as in your case, hence the single towel and bathrobe. It is always our intention to get you the correct number of towels etc.

We've just had an upgrade to the wifi so with a bit of luck we'll have a faster service. I'm afraid the speed does vary on time of day and number of users. We also offer a wired internet service that can be a touch quicker during busy periods.

See you on your next visit.

Reviewed 6 August 2010

We stayed here for a weekend break with another couple and had the 2 attic rooms. They were both spotlessly clean with fantastic views over the spires.

The staff were very helpful, making sure we had maps and reservations sorted for meals. We had drinks in Quad which had a good atmosphere.

We walked to Gees for the Jazz supper. It takes about 15 minutes to walk past lots of lovely buildings to look at on the way. Tha food at Gees was fantastic. Very good value for money, £26.50 for a three course meal.

We would definately stay here again if we ever came back to Oxford.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank lauralou911

Thanks for your review

The attic rooms really do have a great view over oxford, i must admit.

We're so lucky being so close to all the historic buildings.

So glad you enjoyed Gee's too.

See you next time.

Reviewed 5 August 2010

Very central, staff very friendly and helpful, Rooms well appointed and extremely clean.

Reviewed 2 August 2010

We enjoy staying at The Old Bank so much we keep going back. Right in the centre of Oxford, we love the relaxed, unstuffy atmosphere and the art works never fail to draw the eye. Rooms are tastefully decorated with the best beds we've ever slept on. The staff are always attentive and helpful, even when it's busy. Resident guide Isabella Underhill offers personalised tours which are worth signing up for. She was far more knowledgable and interesting than the tour we went on through the Tourist Information office (which was dreadfully dull). The food at Quod is great with a bistro type menu and good cocktails! Always popular, priority is given to residents.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple