“Surely the best hotel in Oxford”
Review of Old Bank Hotel

Old Bank Hotel
Ranked #2 of 44 Hotels in Oxford
Nr London, England
“Surely the best hotel in Oxford”
Reviewed 8 February 2011

My wife and I stayed at the hotel for 3 nights after Christmas for our daughter's wedding. From the moment we arrived until the time we left we had an excellent experience. For example, my daughter's wedding dress needed hanging as it had come with her from New Zealand, and the staff put up a special hook to accommodate it. On arrival the car park was congested with guests leaving so I left my keys and the car was parked. the staff weere very apologetic and moved all the luggage. The hotel has been refurbished and is contemporary, making some other Oxford hotels feel rather out dated. The staff were excellent and the dining facilities excellent. We had a private dinner with speeches and the staff were attentive without being intrusive. Altogether, a very enjoyable stay and excellent value for money.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
oldbank, Manager at Old Bank Hotel, responded to this review, 9 February 2011
Thanks for your review

Great to hear you enjoyed so much.

I love hosting weddings here. It’s so nice to experience all the excitement, all be from the side lines. Christmas season weddings seem to be on the rise. It’s certainly a good time because we offer some of our best rates at that time.

Ben Truesdale

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (277)
  • Turkish first
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 6 February 2011

First thing about this place - it's expensive. Is it worth it - Maybe.... Probably...

This hotel is in a historic building and is quite beautiful. There are fantastic artworks throughout the hotel with even a Damien Hurst in the conference room.

The rooms are very beautiful and have many antique fixtures which are quite a nice feature.

The staff are very helpful and fairly nice.

The restaurant is one of the best on Oxford and was suggested to me by a friend before she even knew I was staying at that hotel.

They give you free parking which is useful in Oxford!

It really is a beautiful hotel, and generally it's all pretty nice but you do pay for it. It's not as if you're pleasantly surprised... for the price you get what you pay for... you expect this level of excellence for the prices of the rooms. When I say you won't be disappointed I mean just that - it will live up to your expectations... not exceed them.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled solo
Thanks for your review

I'm glad you enjoyed the hotel.

Our rates do fluctuate depending on the time of week/year. Better rates are often available in advance so it’s worth booking ahead if you can.

We always try to improve our service so hopefully by your next visit we will do better.

See you next time.

Cambridge
Reviewed 30 January 2011

We just arrived home from staying at this hotel over the last two nights, and just had to get a review done ASAP!

Having never been to Oxford before, and despite having looked on the map, I had know idea how central the hotel is in Oxford. Its perfectly positioned right where you need to be. The parking at the hotel is free, though a bit of a tight turn to get in, and you can just leave it there nice and safe all day and night.

The reception staff are very welcoming and the lovely girl on Friday night took the time to show our location on the free map, where a nice walk in the morning would be and where we should walk to in the evening to find some resturants. She mentioned The Quod, the hotel restaurant, but didn't try and push it on us at all!

The room was lovely (we were in the reportedly noisy room 4) which faces the car park but had no issues, though in the summer months perhaps you would hear more with windows open and people in the streets. Still the view was nice of buildings around.

The bed was soft and comfortable, and the facilities were great having a cafataiire in the room and just dialling '0' for fresh milk, no charge!

The bathroom was big, with a shower AND bath with shower. Plus the water pressure was so great it filled in 2:42 seconds (timed it coz the sign said 2 mins approx). The only issue was that the boiler went off on sat night so the water was Luke warm when I ran it, but was all sorted in a hour! with lots of apologies.

Room service was fast, really fast. With every chap we saw being polite and smiling (we used them alot).

The walking tour was great fun, and always different so if you have been to Oxford before just tell Izzabella and she will show you things you haven't seen!

Pricing wise, the food in the restaurant is perhaps a little over priced, though it was fantastic! And I would suggest that if you are on B+B it's temping to get your breakfast in your room, as there is no charge!, but then you miss out on the full spread downstairs of fruits, cereals, juices etc.

Check out was quick and painless, and we even had offers to take our bags to the car.

Best of all, when we asked where we could park our car when we left we were met with confusion, and promptly told told we could leave the car in the car park until we are ready to go later, now that's nice!

PLUS three hours later they were happy for my wife to use the bathroom before we finally left.

All in all a great stay and a wonderful weekend. Thanks guys.

• Stayed January 2011
Thanks for your review

Great to hear you enjoyed your time with us. Generally I’d say the rear facing rooms are quieter, except during the barmy summer months where, with an open window, you might hear diners on the terrace.

I like to be able to offer a bit of flexibility with the car park. It's terrible, if when visiting a city you're turfed out of the car park at 11am. It’s much nicer to be able to enjoy Oxford at leisure.

See you next time.

Reviewed 25 January 2011

A very, very good hotel, distinguished for that prime essential of professional hospitality, kindness.

• Stayed November 2010
Thanks indeed

Reviewed 25 January 2011

Cant fault this boutique hotel. Fantastic location, on site parking, pristine rooms, private library to site and relax.

The staff are attentive, polite and very obliging.

Would definitely recommend.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank postcard_from

I'm glad you enjoyed.

See you soon, I hope.

Reviewed 23 January 2011

Won't repeat all the +ves - great location, warm welcome, nice vibe etc, but operationally there were a few downers which need attention.
1 polyester mix bed linen - yuk!
2 bed was too soft & sagged in the middle
3 Wi fi wouldn't work on Mac book pro, but did on iPhone
4 deluxe room had postage stamp sized TV on far wall, bad picture, v few channels, no DVD as std
5 cd/fm equipment had no music channels set, and no CDs available either
6 tiny bath that leaked and had hairs in it when we arrived
7 £26 fillet in the quod was not only TINY but stone cold on arrival! I ended up eating my sons leftover burger!
Someone from OBH should pay a visit to Dean St Townhouse in London soho, which has a very similar feel, but gets it absolutely right. The above is constructive criticism, as we loved the place overall, but feel it falls short in the small but important details, especially at this price point.

• Stayed January 2011
oldbank, Manager at Old Bank Hotel, responded to this review, 9 February 2011
Thanks for your review and constructive criticism

Sorry to see there were a few niggles with your stay.

I'm looking in to some of issues at the moment and hope to up the standard of the TV system soon. While DVD players are not standard they are available complimentary to all guests on request. We have a selection of DVD’s and some music CD’s at reception. We do find we have some issues with Mac products but can usually resolve quite easily and have a separate Mac wireless network. Our beds are relatively new and while medium/soft can be made harder with a bed boards on request. Hairs in the bath are absolutely unacceptable - my apologies.

I'll certainly take a look at the Dean St Townhouse as I’m always looking at ways to improve.

See you on your next visit.

United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 January 2011

I have now visited this hotel twice, both for semi-leisure reasons. The first stay was pretty good - I was due to stay one night mid-week but ended up staying the rest of the working week.
The staff were very nice, those in reception better than those in the restaurant (I suppose because they were much busier). I had a nice room looking out onto the High and it was not too noisy for me. The television wasn't great, nor its offerings.

The Quod restaurant was nice, but because it was popular it was busy and therefore loud, not my cup of tea, but they can't be blamed! The breakfast however was excellent, both the cooked and continental.

Many great places in Oxford whether you've been there before or not..

The next time I stayed was rather less positive, for a few annoying reasons. The room I had was over the courtyard and as it was good weather it was rather noisy, but not too bad. The main problem was the smell, rather rank, musty, damp. I only sometimes am in the mood to complain so I only mentioned it at check-out. They also forgot to give me papers that I'd ordered, a mortal sin! It was swiftly rectified when I went down to breakfast though. My only other issue was back in the restaurant, thye can become less attentive when they are busy, and the menu can seem a little limited if you're staying for more than a few meal times. The noisiness issue was solved by the fact that I was able to use the private guests' room for lunch, all on my own, excellent, though I didn't like the look of the coffee machine.

I will be going back to make sure that it was just a blip, in terms of the issues I experienced.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled solo
Thanks for your review

Sorry there were a few issues with your second stay. Generally we consider the rear facing rooms to be quieter but the terrace is in use during the day and evening, mainly in the summer time. Please let me know next time you stay and I’ll assign a room on a higher floor.

I am currently looking in to the TV offerings. Admittedly, the range is not as broad as I’d like. We do have DVD players on request, however.

See you on your next visit.

Kind regards