“Perfect in every way”

Ranked #16 of 44 Hotels in Oxford
DeLand, Florida
“Perfect in every way”
Reviewed 1 November 2012 via mobile

Oxford Jet recommended this hotel to me, and i was really happy they did. At checkin, the front desk staff was as curtious and as helpful as you could imagine. Location was awesome, and for me anyways, this hotel was perfect. A bit like a big old comfortable house. Breakfast was everything a breakfast should be, and at the end of my stay, i was sad to leave this place.

Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank Reginald Dougla... K

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (531)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Scotland
Reviewed 31 October 2012

I stayed at the Randolph last week with my daughter. This was my 4th stay at the hotel, and as before, I had a very pleasant stay.
The building is beautiful and elegant and truly brings the past into the present..I always feel I should arrive in a Carriage rather than a cab!!
The Staff at this hotel are just lovely, nothing is too much trouble (especially the Conceirge Team) and we were always greeted with a smile. The Reception Team were so helpfull and friendly..I can't believe anyone could complain about them..but then, maybe one gets what one gives out (regarding attitude). I have always found the Team, indeed the entire Staff, extremely friendly, helpful and professional.
I have stayed in 3 different room types and all have been extremely comfortable, with everything I would expect within a 'good' hotel room. The beds I have had have been wonderfully comfortable. Turn down service is provided as are fresh towels and choccs on the pillow. Room Service is prompt and delivered with a smile (food was delightfully presented and very tasty.
I noted that a reviewer mentioned the smell of drainage pipes, this did happen one night of my stay but whatever the problem was, it was remedied by the next morning and was not something I have experienced on previous visits.
The cocktails are just delish..as are the breakfasts (haven't had dinner there yet), location is fabulous. I definitely will stay here again.:)

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
Portree, Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 October 2012

We stayed in Oxford after watching a John Cleese show round the corner, and the Randolph did seem an upmarket Fawlty towers. It has a sense of class about it, but the room was straight forward and it was a noisey night for us.
The best thing about the Randolph is its role in Morse re- runs - its nice to have stayed there just the once. We stayed in early 2011.

Room Tip: Don't think it has a spa/pool but I can't delete the ratings which I put in by mistake.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 October 2012

On arrival there was nowhere to park near the entrance, I double parked trying to find someone to help with my bags but there were no hotel staff anywhere near the door to help with this or advise on where I could park so I ended up parking 250 metres away and having to carry all my bags in myself.

This is the first 5* hotel where I have been given a single bed to sleep in for many years. The decor is dated and the fittings in the bathrooms are cheap and unstylish.

About to have a shower I discovered that all of the shower gel and shampoo bottles left for me in a basket in the bathroom were in fact empty, one of them had a minuscule amount of body lotion in left over from the previous guest.

I telephoned reception and asked for some to be sent to the room as I needed to shower quickly in order to get to a meeting. After 20 minutes of waiting nothing had arrived. I had to call reception to ask again.

Eventually someone came to the room with some shower gel and shampoo. Unfortunately there was no hot water at all in the bathroom, not even in the sink. Reception said that an engineer had been called as there was a general problem with hot water in the hotel. This wasn't fixed until the following morning.

How this hotel can call itself 5* I really do not know. I would have been very disappointed to have this experience in a 2* hotel for which I had paid less than £50. I had paid £180 for one night in my single bed with no hot water and no soap or shampoo. I'll never stay here again.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled solo
5 Thank AndrewQuint
Stafford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 October 2012

The hotel is way overdue for some serious TLC and deserves to be pampered before too long. A pervading smell of dirty drains in lobby and throughout the public areas. Our room was as expected and clean aside from a few minor, but irritating issues: window safety catch broken (not a problem for us but obviously a safety issue); cold water running hot; very noisy air-con (turned ours off - this was general background noise); trouser press came off the wall; TV refused to stay put and had to be assisted with the placement of an ice bucket; a welcome card on our arrival with the wrong name inside; being asked would we like our beds turned down at 6.15pm; towels and robes past their sell-by date. Staff were very professional and attentive at breakfast, but regret paying extra for it as it wasn't exactly 5 star. I would return as its location is excellent (we went to the Oxford Playhouse which is 1 minutes walk) but would try for a reduced cost booking and not order breakfast.

Room Tip: Parking overnight in Oxford isn't easy. The hotel parking is expensive but there are not many ot...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Tina S
Chesham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 October 2012

The Randolph is perfectly located for central Oxford and is certainly a hotel very much in keeping with the preconceptions of how an old Oxford hotel should be (think lots of enormous communal rooms with high ceilings, wooden panelling, old paintings galore and comfy chairs scattered around). However whilst the tradition of the place is fantastic and obviously keeps it going, this is simply not enough nowadays given the alternatives available elsewhere.
Good points: Location, tradition, facilities, service. All food was perfectly acceptable and arrived quickly though not 5 star quality.
Not so good points: Paying to park (£26 per night) on top of already overly expensive room fee (for size of room). Very tired bathroom, blocked sink, slightly saggy mattress (more a personal thing - was still comfortable enough). General wear and tear evident throughout - chips to tiles, paint missing off door edges, chipped furniture.
Bad points - Seriously creaky floorboards. Worlds slowest and smallest lifts!

Room Tip: Rooms on 3rd floor (and above I imagine) absolutely fine for traffic noise even on road frontage. Ca...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank iain t
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 October 2012

We just dropped in for a coffee and cake - well a beer and a bun actually. Everyone knows the Randolph. It's in the heart of Oxford and it's just brilliant. Old fashioned of course, charming definitely, stylish in a very English way and not exactly inexpensive. But the staff are as perfect as you can get in the world. Friendly, helpful and expert at their jobs. We stayed overnight earlier this year and some of the reviews I've seen are right - rooms are variable - some are massive, others smaller. Some are in great condition - others need a bit of further refurbishment. But works are ongoing I understand. On our latest visit they were tackling the entrance to reception and it was scaffolded and boarded. But that's life

Room Tip: It's all pot luck. Ask to see your room first if you get a choice.
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends