“Great architecture but not a five star hotel”

Macdonald Randolph Hotel
Ranked #17 of 44 Hotels in Oxford
Reviewed 5 November 2012

Fine tune between Victorian Gothic and classic architecture and decoration.
Great Concierge service. Nevertheless the rest of the hotel staff were not that warm and helpful. During breakfast there was a significant waiting time for the warm breakfast. The spa facilities were definitely not representative of those of a five star hotel, even though the products used there were great. Also the sound proofing was really bad at the spa. For instance ,while having a massage I could hear the people laughing and talking in the jacuzzi. The gym was tiny and it felt claustrophobic. Overall the hotel does not provide the luxury and facilities of a five star hotel and therefore it is overpriced.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank Marnes81
Manager_Randolph, General Manager at Macdonald Randolph Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 November 2012

Thank you for taking the time to post a review. I was delighted to learn of your comments regarding our Concierge Service. I know the team will be most motivated by them.
I was sorry however to learn that you found other staff not to be so warm and there was a significant wait during breakfast. Here at the hotel we pride ourselves in offering a friendly and efficient service and I shall be discussing your comments at our weekly team meeting.
The Spa at the hotel is based in the old cellars and comprises of a mini-gym, 2 steam rooms, 2 saunas and a Jacuzzi. We offer a range of Decleor Treatments and have just launched a range of Carita treatments and products. I was sorry that you were disappointed with the facilities.
I do hope that we may have the pleasure of being of service to you again in the future.

Reviewed 5 November 2012

We stayed on 18th and 19th Septemebr 2012 - everything was very nice but this hotel is not really 5*. Although steeped in history and the "Morse" connection it did not quite carry the five star recommendation.
The food was great especially breakfast - I suspect that the many American vistiors would really think that this was England at it's best. Remembering where your room is was the biggest challenge as lots of little corridors and stairs that ressembled a rabbit warren - part of the charm I suppose.
In the heart of the City the location was great and even parking if you pre-book your space.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business

Thank you for taking the time to post a review. I was pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us. Due to the nature of the building some of our rooms are some distance from the main reception area. We will always endeavour where possible meet guest requests for certain areas of the building at booking stage.

The hotel has been accredited by The AA and has been for several years awarded the accolade of 5 stars. We are visited once a year by an undercover AA Inspector.

I do hope that we may be of service to you again in the future.

Reviewed 4 November 2012

We arrived in Oxford on a cold wet day but managed to do a bit of sightseeing and to see a concert. We checked in to our lovely room on the 4th floor with rooftop views across oxford and spacious bathroom with a separate shower. We then spent a couple of hours in bar sitting by the warm cosy fireplace in the Morse Bar having tea and very nice shortbread .After a very good nights sleep we came down to a delicious breakfast, although there was a bit of a mix up with breakfast service. The rest of the time all staff were excellent.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple

Thank you taking the time to post a review and I was delighted to learn that your enjoyed your stay with us. Oxford is indeed a wonderful place to visit for a few days to see the historical colleges and do some shopping.

I do hope we have the pleasure of being of service to you and I know the team will be most motivated by your post.

Reviewed 4 November 2012

This hotel is well positioned and has the reputation of being the best hotel in Oxford and while this was probably true 100 years ago, our expectations of hotels have gone up dramatically since then. It really needs thorough renovation throughout and be staff need training on how to better deal with guests - it is common to have to wait 15 minutes in the bar for service as the staff serve their favourite customers first and any attempt to complain to the management results in a rebuke.

I have now stayed here three times because of the excellent location but the service and value for money are really so appalling that I will be trying somewhere else the next time I am in Oxford.

• Stayed: November 2012
1  Thank tomweiss

Thank you taking the time to post a review. I was extremely sorry to learn of your disappointment especially from a regular patron such as yourself. We pride ourselves in offering the highest levels of care and service to our guests and I am sorry that in The Morse Bar this was not the case. I shall be speaking to the team on duty and please be assured that your feedback will be acted upon.

With regards to renovation we have finished a number of bedrooms and looking at the next areas to be assessed moving forward. We do have a very comprehensive maintenance program for the hotel.

I do hope that we may be of service to you again in the future

Reviewed 1 November 2012

Oxford Jet recommended this hotel to me, and i was really happy they did. At checkin, the front desk staff was as curtious and as helpful as you could imagine. Location was awesome, and for me anyways, this hotel was perfect. A bit like a big old comfortable house. Breakfast was everything a breakfast should be, and at the end of my stay, i was sad to leave this place.

Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank Reginald Dougla... K
Reviewed 31 October 2012

I stayed at the Randolph last week with my daughter. This was my 4th stay at the hotel, and as before, I had a very pleasant stay.
The building is beautiful and elegant and truly brings the past into the present..I always feel I should arrive in a Carriage rather than a cab!!
The Staff at this hotel are just lovely, nothing is too much trouble (especially the Conceirge Team) and we were always greeted with a smile. The Reception Team were so helpfull and friendly..I can't believe anyone could complain about them..but then, maybe one gets what one gives out (regarding attitude). I have always found the Team, indeed the entire Staff, extremely friendly, helpful and professional.
I have stayed in 3 different room types and all have been extremely comfortable, with everything I would expect within a 'good' hotel room. The beds I have had have been wonderfully comfortable. Turn down service is provided as are fresh towels and choccs on the pillow. Room Service is prompt and delivered with a smile (food was delightfully presented and very tasty.
I noted that a reviewer mentioned the smell of drainage pipes, this did happen one night of my stay but whatever the problem was, it was remedied by the next morning and was not something I have experienced on previous visits.
The cocktails are just delish..as are the breakfasts (haven't had dinner there yet), location is fabulous. I definitely will stay here again.:)

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 31 October 2012

We stayed in Oxford after watching a John Cleese show round the corner, and the Randolph did seem an upmarket Fawlty towers. It has a sense of class about it, but the room was straight forward and it was a noisey night for us.
The best thing about the Randolph is its role in Morse re- runs - its nice to have stayed there just the once. We stayed in early 2011.

Room Tip: Don't think it has a spa/pool but I can't delete the ratings which I put in by mistake.