“Good, but expensive...”

Macdonald Randolph Hotel
Ranked #16 of 44 Hotels in Oxford
Reviewed 27 December 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for one night during a birthday celebration weekend. It is a lovely hotel. The bedrooms were comfortable and my bathroom was just enormous!

The food was good, not great and the bar prices extortionate. However, the location is so convenient, I would certainly still recommend the hotel to others.

Stayed: January 2013
Manager_Randolph, General Manager at Macdonald Randolph Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 January 2014

Dear Howi58

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. I am pleased that you enjoyed your time with us and will be sure to pass on your feedback to the team. I hope that we will be able to be of service to you in the future should your travel plans bring you back to the city of Oxford. We do review our pricing against other 5 star hotels and we are in line with our competitors.

Reviewed 21 December 2013

The Randolph is fantastically located for any business in the heart of old Oxford. It may not offer contemporary luxuries but more than compensates with its discreet charm. Our second very pleasant overnight stay, topped and tailed by the charming and helpful concierge, Frank.

1  Thank Nick J
Manager_Randolph, General Manager at Macdonald Randolph Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 January 2014

Dear Nick J

Thank you for taking the time review your recent stay with us. I will be sure to pass your feedback onto the rest of the team and especially Frank in concierge who I am sure will be grateful for your kind words. I hope that you will be back soon to enjoy the discreet charm of the Macdonald Randolph.

Reviewed 17 December 2013

The staff is great but the rooms are small and dated, not in a good way. Poor finishes and really needs a revamp. We waited ages to get served at breakfast and during checkout.

Will not willingly stay there again.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank VuilVoete

Dear VuilVoete

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. All of our bedrooms are allocated with the intention of our guest’s satisfaction and I would like to apologise for the dissatisfaction of this occasion. I am sure that if you had raised your concerns during your stay then we would have tried to find you an alternative room that was more to your liking. I hope that we may be of use to you in the future should your travels bring you back to the city if Oxford.

Reviewed 17 December 2013

My friend and i stayed here in 2010 to celebrate our job promotions, from the moment we arrived we were very well looked after,
We had booked some treatments in the spa and i can honestly say i have never experienced a full body massage like it, it was amazing i was so relaxed i fell to sleep.
We had breakfast in bed the following morning, it arrived on time and was very nice.
A lovely hotel with fantastic decor, i will visit again

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Rookhillstar

Dear Rookhillstar

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us, I will be sure to pass on your positive comments to our Spa team as I am sure they will be most motivated by your remarks. I am pleased that you enjoyed your time with us and I look forward to welcoming you back to The Macdonald Randolph in the near future.

Reviewed 16 December 2013

We booked here for a special, pre-Christmas break. It's a great location, and the staff are friendly and helpful, but the hotel itself is very disappointing. Our room was cramped, dark, noisy, and much in need of re-decoration. Dear General Manager - please don't say this isn't the feedback you usually get. A cursory glance through previous comments would show that's not the case. The hotel badly needs a refurb to be restored to its former glory. Let me know when that's done - I'd love to come back. But for now, in my opinion, it's simply not worth the money.

3  Thank Ann101010
Manager_Randolph, General Manager at Macdonald Randolph Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 December 2013

Dear Ann101010

Thank you for your recent review of your stay with us. We have a team of dedicated maintenance operatives and housekeepers who work tirelessly to ensure that our product is as good as it can possibly be within the restrictions we work within. I will ensure that I share your positive comments regarding your stay at our weekly management meeting as I am sure the team will be motivated by your comments regarding their interactions with you. Our location is very hard to beat and I hope that we will have the pleasure of looking after you again in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 12 December 2013

Where do I start. I booked a King Executive Room, pre booked and paid for about five months ago. Lets make sure we have that groundwork laid. We arrived at the hotel about 12.30pm. First thing, where to park. Nobody on the roadway to direct you. My partner runs inside whilst I am illegally parked. She comes out and says they will valet park for you for Pounds 27.50, but they need cash now to pay the parking. Are you kidding me, I have to have the cash up front, they can't charge it to my room. Lucky I had some cash. Next, the room is not ready, but that is OK, we are earlier than 2pm. So we come back at 1.45pm. I speak to the same brash German sounding receptionist who informs me that it will be another 10 -12 minutes. Fine, so we sit in the reception waiting, and waiting and waiting and waiting. At about 2.10pm, I approach the receptionist who was a young lady servicing a couple wanting a Christmas Voucher. After about 10 minutes standing in line, I approached the lady and asked if someone from behind the screen could assist me, as I only wanted my key. The German sounding guy could be heard the whole time chastising the other staff for using some equipment of his. He knew we were waiting, but did not bother to come out. So we are go to room 161. Remember that number. The Macdonald Randolf Hotel is a grand looking hotel from the outside. What you don't realise is that it is in reality a grand hotel with all these annexes. I am not kidding when I tell you that our room took 4 minutes to walk to along this rabbit warren of corridors. When we arrive at our room, it looks out over a lane way directly above a pub. Remember, we are on the 1st floor. The room itself is ok, but Executive King Room, I beg to differ. Anyway, after going out and coming back at 5.30pm, we are immediately confronted with screening yahoos drinking at the Pub. It was a joke. There would be no way that you could sleep with that noise and who know how long that would last into the evening. We complained at that point and received a room change to the main hotel. They said it was and Executive Suite, but all we did was trade our previous room, with a King Size bed, for a double bed, tiny bathroom and this annex area/lounge that we would not use anyway. This hotel needs to pick up its socks. There are staff everywhere, but the service is lousy. I could go on, but I am just looking forward to checking out in the morning. I can honestly say I have stayed here twice, the first and last time.

Room Tip: Insist on a room in the main hotel complex. Refuse anything that is in the 161 area
5  Thank Craig D

Dear Craig D

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us here at The Macdonald Randolph Hotel. I would like to apologise for the issues that arose during your time with us and can assure you that steps have been taken to ensure issues of this nature are not repeated. Our check in time is however from 2pm and although we always endeavour to ensure this happens there are occasions where this is not always viable which I apologise for. All of our rooms are allocated with the intention that our customers will be comfortable and are made with the best intentions. As a city centre property we do have a section of rooms that are not housed in the main building but in the main these rooms are very popular as they have king size beds, walk in showers and are very comfortable. I am disappointed that my team did not offer to move you again from the suite which you were upgraded to as this was not to your liking and will ensure that the necessary training takes place to address this. I thank you for your observations and hope that if your travel plans bring you back to the city of Oxford then you give us the opportunity to rectify your current opinion.

Reviewed 12 December 2013 via mobile

We came down to Oxford for a pre Christmas break. We left feeling very well looked after and relaxed. If I was being picky and had to complain about anything it would be the placement of the smokers area. There was a venue on last night and there was crowds of people smoking on the steps and in the door way. As a non smoker I
don't appreciate that's the last thing I want is smoke being blown in out direction.

• Stayed: December 2013
2  Thank mch1st

Dear Mch1st

Thank you for your recent review of your stay with us here at The Macdonald Randolph Hotel. I will be sure to advise the team of your positive feedback and am very pleased that you enjoyed a relaxing time with us. Unfortunately since the smoking ban a great number of venues suffer with the same issue as we do with smokers gathering at the entrance of a property, especially when the weather is less than favourable. We do endeavour to keep this area clear and will make sure more of a focus is put into this area in the future. I hope that we will have the pleasure of looking after you again in the New Year.