“Lacks Lustre!”

Macdonald Randolph Hotel
Ranked #16 of 44 Hotels in Oxford
Reviewed 13 January 2014

Location is perfect in an otherwise difficult city to find central accommodation, thus loads of " not so good" Bed and Breakfasts miles out of the city.The hotel has it made and can charge what it likes.... Individual members of staff attentive and helpful but felt it didn't come together as a whole, united experience
First room was noisy beside the kitchen extraction fans, which were turned on FULL at 5pm for the rest of the evening. Hotel guide in the bedroom was out of date as I rang down to get the code for the internet to be told "Why would you need a code for the Internet? To which I responded "Because that's what it says in your Guide in the hotel bedroom".... All out of date would be fixed...sometime... chap arrived with no Guide in hand..."no one told me" etc etc.
Breakfast menu full of extras eg. an extra charge for kippers £2.50...why be so mean...were they stuffed with caviare...What 4 star hotel charges extras for breakfast items like kippers?/ Mean and silly I thought.
We ate dinner with friends in the hotel and it was OK. Not cheap by any standard. Only 4 tables occupied when we were there form 6.30pm to 9 pm...and I can see why..too pricey for what was on offer. £39.50 for 2 courses!!
All in all disappointing. The Manager needs to be more visible, checking on the customer experiencing and sampling this.... but then they will always get business because of the location, so I guess little incentive to bother...a pity!

Room Tip: stay away from the kitchen extraction fans
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
Manager_Randolph, General Manager at Macdonald Randolph Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 January 2014

Dear wemyss 1

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent overnight stay with us here at The Macdonald Randolph Hotel. I am pleased that you found our location to be suited to your needs. I would like to apologise for the issues that you encountered during your time with us with regard to the in room information and the noise from the extractor fans. The pricing structure for the level of cuisine that we offer in a 5 star hotel is indeed competitive and the general feedback that we receive regarding the food here at The Macdonald Randolph is very good so I am sorry that this was not too your liking. I can assure you that the Management team here take hospitality very seriously indeed. I thank you for your constructive comments and hope that we may be of service to you in the future should your travel plans bring you back to the city of Oxford.

Reviewed 9 January 2014 via mobile

Great hotel, good service from very attentive staff. One critique would be the internet connection. We are getting on in life and did not understand the procedure to get connected. When we asked for assistance, the process was once again explained to us. It would have been nice if staff would of taken a more hands on approach. Apart from this it was a wonderful stay.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear polo42

Thank you for your recent review of your stay here at The Macdonald Randolph Hotel. I will ensure that the team are a little more hands on with their assistance in connecting to the wifi in future as it can be frustrating when things do not work. Thank you for your positive comments and I am pleased that you enjoyed the rest of your stay with us. Hopefully we will see you again soon.

Reviewed 8 January 2014

Decided on an early new year break in Oxford. Upon arriving at the hotel, we were greeted by very friendly doormen who took our cases. Receptionist was very helpful, mentioning various offers we could take advantage of if we so wished. Nice large room with large bathroom (bath and shower) on the top floor with a splending view of the dreaming spires of Oxford. Complimentary bottles of water and Molton Brown products. Very warm room - occasionally overheated but once we understood the air conditioning controls was fine. Housekeeping took notice of "do not disturb" sign and rang to ask whether and when we would like the room cleaning. Concierge service fantastic throughout the few days.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank JOS1191

Dear JOS1191

Thank you for your recent review of your stay here at The Macdonald Randolph Hotel. The Molten Brown products that we provide in all of our bedrooms are certainly a popular feature of our accommodation and the views from some of the rooms are quite exceptional. I will be sure to share your feedback with the team at our weekly management meeting as all elements of your stay were so positive. I hope that we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to The Macdonald Randolph in the near future.

Reviewed 8 January 2014 via mobile

I arrived at the hotel to meet my business colleague at lunch time. Was't particularly busy and three of the concierge staff were happy chatting among themselves, one of them did open the door and greeted me however.

Went to the bar area first, and spoke to the bartender and they don't serve any food there, he did direct me to the Lounge where they serve afternoon teas. There were a lot of 'no's from the bar person before his final suggestion of going to the Lounge for lunch.

Lunch was Ok, I asked for a medium cooked steak ciabatta, it came out well done, and didn't pay much attention until I half finished it, pointed to the manager, and asked for no refund and when paying for the cheque, he did offer 20% off for the food, nice gesture from him!

Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank ECEJon

Dear ECEJohn

Thank you for your taking the time to review your recent business lunch in the Drawing room. I will be sure to address the way in which you initial enquiry to eat in bar was handled and would like to apologise that the steak ciabatta was not cooked to your liking. I am pleased that you were offered a discount on your food as it was not satisfactory but will endeavour to ensure that mistakes of this nature are not repeated. I hope that you will still consider us for your future business lunches as the feedback we generally receive for the quality of the cuisine here at The Macdonald Randolph is very good indeed.

Reviewed 7 January 2014

This hotel is set in the heart of Oxford City centre, about 5 mins (traffic willing) from the main junction to get into Oxford.

The hotel is very grand, and is matched equally in classic style once inside. It's important to note that this is a classic style hotel, and the interior and room fitting match that. It is not a modern, glass heavy - clean lines and white space hotel.

Parking was an issue when we went, although they helpfully took our bags and gave us a permit to park on the street nearby with. (at a cost of £25)

If you want a quiet night at a weekend, recommend asking for a room at the back of the hotel - no view, but no noise from the street outside.

Room service was excellent, as was the choice in the mini-bar. It was New Years eve so the hotel had a guests only dinner/function on - a black tie affair, so a little daunting if you wasn't part of the celebrations - but this was only open to guests, so the hotel wasn't full of people.

A good classic style hotel.

Room Tip: If you are a light sleeper - ask for a room at the back of the hotel
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear L0ng Hauler

Thank you for your taking the time to review your recent stay with us here at The Macdonald Randolph Hotel. I hope that we will be your first choice of accommodation if you are ever in Oxford again as it is always nice to read a review that appreciates the history and traditionalism that still exists here at The Macdonald Randolph Hotel.

Reviewed 6 January 2014

we staying as a family for several nights and found the hotel and staff to be a great centre point for our journey throughout oxford and the cotswolds.
the doorman were terrific in getting my car out of the garage both night and day and we were please with the middle of town location.

The rooms are typical of this age of building with large bedrooms and tiny bathrooms that needs updating wifi is a little off and on.

But overall if you want a great location and a classic old style hotel its the Randolph.

Room Tip: ask for a high floor noisy from the street level.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family

Dear Ed L

Thank you for your taking the time to review your recent stay with us. I am pleased that the concierge team impressed during your time with us and that your enjoyed our central location. I will be sure to pass on your comments regarding the complimentary wifi to our supplier as we have recently moved over to the cloud which has proved to be a good solution for our guests needs. I hope that we have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Macdonald Randolph in the future.

Reviewed 5 January 2014

Stayed one night to break our journey home after Christmas. Arrived late evening and were very fortunate that our car could be parked as we had not booked a space. Receptionist very welcoming and friendly. Room and bed very comfortable. Molten Brown products in bathroom. Two large bottles of complimentary still and sparkling water in the room together with a box of Hotel branded chocolates. 5*turn down service. Had our evening meal in the Drawing room. Both food and drink were very reasonably priced and food was good. Hotel is in a great location and worth the price. Breakfast was very good especially the black pudding. My only negative with the hotel was having to pay for parking as an extra. This was not made clear when I made the reservation. I don't like seeing extras like this on a check-out invoice. I would much rather that it was added to the room price. Also when check-in is at 15.00 I would have thought that paying the price of a days parking (albeit arriving at 18.30) you could at least stay until 13.00 the following day. We were quite firmly told to leave by midday so we departed at 11.30 lest we were put in the naughty corner!

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Laura S

Dear Laura S

Thank you for your taking the time to review your recent stay with us. Although our parking is perceived as expensive on occasions we are a cheaper and safer alternative than the other city centre options. I will of course re-enforce the procedure to ensure all guests are informed at the point of booking car parking of the price involved. We do offer alternatives to clients that do not wish to utilise our services such as the many park and ride options for the city of Oxford which are very well run and incredibly reliable if you do not need your car while in the city. We do try to be flexible with the departure time of the car park on the following day but if we have a fully booked car park for arrivals we do sometimes have to enforce our departure time. Thank you once again for your review and I am pleased that you enjoyed the rest of your stay with us. I hope that we have the opportunity to welcome you back to The Macdonald Randolph Hotel in the not too distant future.