“Not Worth Its Money”

Macdonald Randolph Hotel
Ranked #17 of 44 Hotels in Oxford
Reviewed 28 January 2014

First the hotel is beautifully located and the staff were all very pleasant but the prices are just outrageous for what it was.

Our so called Executive Room was well in excess of £200 a night for an old fashioned room that was a route march away from reception. Just because you add a bathrobe and a Nespresso machine does not make it an Executive Room.

The Morse Bar had no Real Ale - Morse would have refused to drink there and the prices were ferocious - £12.50 for a glass of wine.

Also if you are paying in excess of £200 a night you do not expect to be charged £15 to use the Spa (hence the rating I am sure it is delightful!) and the final insult a £3 charge for using a credit card. What a bill in excess of £500 and you still want to squeeze out another £3!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Manager_Randolph, General Manager at Macdonald Randolph Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 February 2014

Dear Ian B

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. I am pleased that you enjoyed our prominent Oxford location and that the team were polite and professional in their conduct. I will be sure to feed this back to them through our weekly meetings. Our rates do fluctuate depending on our occupancy levels and all rooms are categorised depending on more than just the additional extra items. We have tried to sell real ale in the Morse Bar on many an occasion but unfortunately there is simply not enough of a demand to make it commercially viable. Colin Dextor the author of Morse still comes in to see us regularly and enjoys his time in the Morse bar very much. I appreciate your frustration regarding the extra charges for paying by credit card but these are not applied if you were to settle by debit card so there are indeed other options that avoid these charges. I hope that we may have the opportunity to welcome you back to The Macdonald Randolph should your travel plans bring you back to the city of Oxford in the future

Reviewed 27 January 2014

Excellent short stay. We were slightly perturbed by some negative reviews prior to arrival so called ahead and prebooked the car park and confirmed our room was on the lower floors (executive room). We checked in at midday but couldn't get our room until 2pm. Wasn't a problem as we headed into Oxford for lunch and took in some sights including the Ashmolean. Room was very comfortable and just what was expected. We overlooked the entrance to the Ashmolean which meant the road has plenty of coaches turning the corner. The windows didn't seem as sound proofed as modern windows but it didn't detract from a good nights sleep. We ate in the restaurant as part of our package and drank cocktails in the Morse bar. The bar opens onto the hotel foyer so lacks something in atmosphere because of it. Lighting the fire may have helped but may have been very warm for those close to it. Cocktails lovely. We found two that we will ask for again. Very attentive service and fantastic food. Would stay again.

Room Tip: prebook car parking, vey busy.

Dear Ian U

Thank you for taking the time to review your short stay with us. The range of cocktails in the Morse Bar is extensive and I am pleased you found some that was to your liking, the bar team really work hard to create something special with quiet a few creations of their own on the menu. Please feel free to pop back in at your earliest convenience and I am sure the bar tenders would be delighted to look after you again. I hope that you may consider us for your next special occasion.

Reviewed 27 January 2014

I wanted somewhere in Oxford and this hotel met the brief. It's not cheap - nothing in Oxford is! My wife and I found the hotel charming with an old world elegance and yet the vitality of today. A long established hotel which is brought to life by its staff who were so helpful and friendly. Never obtrusive just there when you needed them. Our room (213) was on the front of the hotel and looked out on the Ashmoleum museum. A very worthwhile reason to go out and cross the road. We did hear some very loud youngsters in the early hours making their way past the hotel but see that as inevitable with non double glazed windows. We loved the creak and groan of the old floors just oozing character in room well & tastefully decorated with a very comfortable bed.
The Morse bar is a cosy spot for a pre dinner drink. The restaurant served an excellent dinner again without fuss or rush.
We aren't SPA people so didn't use the facility.

Room Tip: Just talk to reception they were so friendly and helpful I'm sure they will do their best meet y...
1  Thank DEANO615

Dear DEANO615

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent overnight with us here at The Macdonald Randolph Hotel. I will be sure to pass on your positive feedback to the team at our weekly management meeting and I hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to spend another relaxing stay with us in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 25 January 2014

If you are a fan of Morse and Lewis then this is the place for you. An old and well established hotel in the middle of Oxford where some scenes from Morse were recorded and just around the corner from many of the famous Oxford University colleges.
Stayed as part of a Secret Escapes deal in a Standard room which was very small for the money (even with the discount) with plenty of noise from next door and the bins being put out at various times. Bathroom was a bit of a squeeze and the shower leaked all over the floor despite our best efforts, soaking the floor mats.
On the plus side: check in and out was fairly painless with friendly staff on Reception, there is a nice lounge to take tea or coffee and the breakfast was ok, although the scrambled eggs were cold. Paid for parking overnight (£28.50p) and they did let me leave the car in the garage for another couple of hours while we explored the Oxford colleges. The concierge also looked after our bags until we left around midday.
Left with the feeling we probably got what we paid for and nothing else.

Dear MistaPeta

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent overnight stay with. I am disappointed that you found your stay to be just satisfactory as we pride ourselves on trying to ensure all of our guests have a truly memorable experience. I will of course be investigating the shower issue and thank you for bringing that to my attention. I will thank concierge on your behalf for the additional free parking that was extended to you on the day of departure. I hope that we may be able to be of service to you again in the future should your travels bring you back to the city of Oxford.

Reviewed 23 January 2014

Last Saturday my daughter treated me to afternoon tea for my birthday. When we arrived in the Drawing Room told there was no booking for us but we had been put in the Restuarant which did not have the same atmophere. The afternoon tea was lovely and nicely presented, no explanation was given to the teas etc like customers have said in the Drawing Room. My daughter is veggie so asked for her sandwiches to be placed on a different plate. When the cakes came and she saw them we then had to ask if she would be able to eat them? unfrotunately good choice but 3 of them she could not eat due to geletine. Why don't they have alternative choice since the afternoon tea is not cheap!! at least we had plenty of refills of tea. It was nice but there was a better atmosphere in the Drawing Room.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank carola59

Dear carola59

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent visit for Afternoon tea. I will be sure to pass on your comments regarding the lack of Tea explanation to the Restaurant Manager to ensure this can be rectified for future patrons and I would like to apologise for the shortfall during your visit. I am pleased that you enjoyed the experience and take on board your constructive comments regarding the atmosphere. I hope that we may be of service to you again in the future.

Reviewed 20 January 2014

Had a wonderful three nights here to celebrate my husband's 50th birthday. Very relaxing stay at the Randolph with some lovely touches. Spacious rooms booked as part of a winter weekend deal. In the end, we were too stuffed to take up our night caps in the Morse bar, but we made the most of the wonderful breakfasts, in bed once, exactly at the time ordered and all hot, and ample service and choice in the restaurant on the other mornings. Dinner - reviewed separately - was outstanding. Lovely Molton Brown toiletries, attentive but discreet service (I loved that the restaurant staff didn't hover asking how the meal was: I think this just gave us confidence that they just KNEW it was great, and the privacy we wished for). I did ring reception when we arrived to ask whether they had had noise issues with room 61 (and I guess 60 and 62) before, since it overlooks a pub. They were reassuring and told me to get in touch if we had a problem with noise. Bar one half hour of tipping out time on Friday, it was fine, but if you're a VERY light sleeper or must have the window open - and it was pretty hot - then it might be an issue. What could have been improved? I suppose I would have liked a touch more storage space in the bathroom, for all my bits and bobs; and as others have pointed out, although the Wifi works, it's doesn't work terribly well. I don't know if the new wing we were in was a particular issue, but a wireless booster in this part of the hotel might help? Overall, though, spacious rooms, lovely surroundings, excellent service and food and right opposite the wonderful Ashmolean.

Room Tip: I am not sure light sleepers will be happy in rooms 60, 61, 62. They are in a distant wing and overl...
1  Thank RebeccaKeele
Manager_Randolph, General Manager at Macdonald Randolph Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 February 2014

Dear RebbeccaKeele

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay here with us at The Macdonald Randolph Hotel. We are currently investigating why there is fallout on the wifi service in the vicinity of room 60 and should hopefully have this rectified in the near future. Thank you so much for your kind words regarding the rest of your stay and we look forward to welcoming you back to The Macdonald Randolph in the near future.

Reviewed 20 January 2014

This was my first stay in a '5 star' hotel. Having stayed in a few 4 star hotels, my expectations were high but, unfortunately, not met.

Whilst the staff were courteous and attentive, my intial impression of the hotel was that it was 'tired'. I did not expect to see what appeared to be damp patches on the corridor walls and doors with holes in them (presumably where cleaning staff have bumped their trolleys into the storeroom doors). I also didn't expect the cleaner's trolley to be left outside my room all day (it was theer from 9:30am til at least 4pm). Maybe I'm being picky, but I just expected a 5 star hotel to be well maintained, with all the 'back room' operations invisible.

Breakfast was very good and served very quickly (within 10 minutes) on day 1. However, on day 2 I had to wait 25 minutes and remind the waiter before breakfas wast to be brought to me. And the explanation that 'it's all freshly cooked' doesn't hold water when it was served so quickly the previous day.

Overall, I feel the hotel is trading on standards of days gone by. I would have been deeply disappointed had I paid full price, but was fortunate enough to be on a 2-for-1 offer, which made it more affordable/reasonable.

I don't feel I will be staying there again though.

1  Thank DB-EastMids

Dear DB-Eastmids

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay here at The Macdonald Randolph Hotel. I would like to apologise for the shortcomings that you experienced during your time with us. All of our breakfasts are cooked fresh to order but there can be delays if there are a number of orders to be prepared prior to yours. I have noted your comments and will be speaking to the Head Chef and Restaurant Manager personally to ensure that delays of this nature are minimised and the explanations offered for such delays are more detailed. We have an ongoing improvement program here at The Macdonald Randolph and I will be sure to share your observations with the maintenance team. I hope that we may be of use to you again should your travel plans bring you back to the city of Oxford.