“It's the little things”

Macdonald Randolph Hotel
Ranked #16 of 44 Hotels in Oxford
Reviewed 26 February 2014

Arrived at the front door to be instantly greeted by a concierge who whisked our luggage out of the boot and valet parked the car. We were early but our room was ready and we were given an upgrade from a classic to an executive without asking. Beautiful art and crafts foyer with gothic arches and stained glass and a beautiful staircase. A longish walk to our room at 172 however it was at the back of the hotel and was unbelievably quiet for a city centre location, no traffic noise at all. Room spacious, Moulton and Brown toiletries, large bathroom with seperate shower and bath, all beautifully laid out. Extremely easy to walk out into Oxford for all the colleges, the market, the Bodleian Library, the Ashmolean, restaurants (great Thai down a little alley off High Street). When we got back our bed had been turned down and choccies on the pillows. Crisp white sheets, feather pillows and an incredibly comfortable bed. Great choice at breakfast with attentive staff. Concierges are all so delightful and helpful and nothing is too much trouble. I said it's 'the little things' because all the little things add up to one wonderful experience. It was my husbands and mine Christmas present to each other and it lived up to expectation.
One little funny was the half eaten bar of Green and Blacks in the fridge when we arrived (how they could've left half I don't know!) which was removed promptly when notified. Drinks in the bar are on the pricey side but hey it's a 5* hotel so to be expected.

Room Tip: Back of the hotel is very quiet but a longer walk. If you want a view then the front overlooks the A...
1  Thank MountainAsh66
Manager_Randolph, General Manager at Macdonald Randolph Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 February 2014

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to complete a review. I was very pleased that you enjoyed your birthday stay and thank your for choosing our hotel.

I was pleased that you had a pleasant visit, and that you found the staff to be helpful. I am glad you enjoyed dinner, but sorry that breakfast was rather busy. Sometimes we find that all our guests want to come and have breakfast at the same time and this makes the restaurant very busy.

We hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back again.

Kind regards,

There are newer reviews for Macdonald Randolph Hotel

Reviewed 21 February 2014

Beautiful building making this a beautiful hotel. Staff friendly, welcoming and go the extra mile. Excellent location in the centre of Oxford. Not the cheapest hotel for drinks etc but fantastic if you want to treat someone special, or yourself. We stayed in one of the 4 poster feature rooms and this was well worth the extra money, beautiful room and extremely comfortable. Food excellent and I would highly recommend the afternoon tea

Room Tip: Four poster feature room well worth the money
1  Thank CMLBristol

We were all very pleased at the hotel to read your review, and thank you very much for taking the time and trouble to review your stay here.

I was very pleased that you enjoyed your visit to us and found that location was convienent for you. We are right in the center of Oxford, opposite the museum, a few yards from the restaurants and shops, and the University Quarter.

Thank you for staying with us and I hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back again in the future

Kind regards

Reviewed 20 February 2014

Just a one night stay to celebrate my daughters birthday but it was a memorable experience. From the efficient and friendly valet car parking and the warm welcome at reception the experience was excellent throughout. We decided not to eat in so the concierge helpfully recommended a great local restaurant which was certainly a good place to go. Afterwards cocktails in the Morse bar were a great way to end the evening. Breakfast was also excellent and attentive service throughout. The room was warm spacious and comfortable as was my daughters single---pics all over Facebook in minutes! Well done to this hotel we will be back!!

Room Tip: Rooms facing the Ashmolean are nice
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Phil C

Thank you for taking the time and effort to review our hotel here in Oxford. I am glad that we were able to provide you with a memorable experience for your daughters birthday, and I will ensure that your comments are distributed throughout the hotel, as the team enjoy recieving customer feedback.

I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel in the future.

Kindest regards

Reviewed 20 February 2014

Stayed here for a weekend break and have to agree that staying at the Randolph is superb, the check in and valet parking make it memorable, this isn't the cheapest place to stay in Oxford but as it was a special birthday we decided to max the credit card!
Location is as central as is possible to get with all the major sights within a few minutes walk, the Concierge offer local guides and maps to point out so you can get the maximum from your visit.
We dined in the restaurant and had a very good meal with attentive service, breakfast though was a little chaotic service wise but still enjoyable. The only downside was that our room was on the top floor which is reached by a small staircase, but is was clean and tidy.

Reviewed 17 February 2014

I've visited Oxford many times on day trips and always thought I'd like to stay at the Randolph-- partly because one of my favorite things about Oxford is Blackwell's bookstore which is one block away. The Randolph is also across the street from the Ashmolean, which has the huge advantage of being free, so you can pop in for just 15 or 20 minutes if you have not got much time (contributions are requested).

When I checked in, I had told the staff we wanted a very quiet room. They took me at my word and gave me a very quiet room... at least a three- or four-minute walk from the reception desk. Look at the photos for a view of the long walk to room 76! The room, when we got there, was lovely, big and modern with a very nice bathroom; although the ceilings were a bit low, and it looked out on a blank courtyard. The room would have been fine but I just didn't like being so far away from the entrance. Bad luck if you forget your phone and have to go back for it!

The staff, who could hardly be nicer, was very helpful at all times and my room was changed with a smile after one night. We moved into a noisier, but lovely, room on the third floor overlooking the Ashmolean. Its ceilings were higher and the furnishings more old-fashioned, but the room was also smaller and the shower basically never had any water pressure. For five days I tried different times of day or night to get enough water pressure to wash my hair... not much luck and I ended up having to wash it in a faint slow trickle.

The other real annoyance (HOTEL-- FIX THIS, PLEASE!!!) was the wifi. At an upscale hotel, this should not be a problem. At most hotels, even cheap ones, once you check in and get a code to access the wifi, you have access for the duration of your stay without having to re-sign in, or at least not more than once a day. At the Randolph, you have to sign up for a new account with a service called TheCloud, which is already irritating; the hotel should just have wifi for which it gives guests the code. Why should I have to sign up for a new service when like most foreigners I will never use it again? Then after registering, you must sign in with log-in email and password each time your computer screen goes to sleep-- in my case, dozens of times a day. All it takes is for you to answer the phone for a short conversation, and the Randolph will make you have to sign in for the wifi again. This is a serious annoyance when you are trying to work online on your computer or phone. Worse, my husband could never get online at all because of some quirk in the system, on any of his three devices, and had to use mine.

Aside from that, my only gripe was the prices. £19 for a hot English breakfast (which costs less than £7 at the Saint Giles Cafe half a block away)? £17 for a half-inch of whiskey in a narrow glass at the bar? £16.50 for two scones, a pot of tea and cream and jam?

However, as a pleasant getaway it's hard to imagine a nicer place than the Randolph for a relaxing few days. Its central location means you don't need a car. The service is unusually good and the staff seems cheerful, even happy, which means good management. The rooms were very clean and the cleaners unobtrusive. Congratulations to the Randolph staff, well done! We'll be back.

Room Tip: Rooms on the Ashmolean/Beaumont Street/north side can be noisy, but have a nice view. Rooms on the R...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Manager_Randolph, General Manager at Macdonald Randolph Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 February 2014

Thank you very much for your review on tripadvisor. I was very pleased that you enjoyed your stay. We are indeed fortunate that we are so well located in the city.

I was pleased that we were able to arrange a quiet room for you. This was in our Worcester wing, which we always consider is the quietest part of the hotel. I do appreciate it does have the downside that it is a little distanced from the main body of the hotel, and I apologise if this was not explained to you by our reception team.

I was very sorry to learn about the shower pressure when you changed room, this is not a normal problem and I have arranged for the maintenance team to inspect this issue.

Thank you for your feedback about our WIFI. We have recently moved to The Cloud, which is a Sky company. Our WIFI service is complimentary to all our guests and since we have moved to The Cloud, we have generally had very good feedback. I do appreciate that you do need to set up an account. Once you have set up the account it is then free to use throughout our hotels as well as many other outlets throughout the United Kingdom.

The Cloud automatically signs guests out from the service after a certain period of inactivity, so that it can run at it's optimum speed for other guests using the service, I do apologise if this caused any inconvenience for you.

Thank you for your generous comments about the staff, who will be very motivated with your feedback. We look forward to being of service to you in the future.

Reviewed 16 February 2014

Would like to thank all the staff for making our time there very memorable, also a big thank you to the concierge guys for making our evening very enjoyable but a special thank you goes to William Thomson for getting us a table at our favourite place Cote it blew us away can't thank you enough. We will be back again soon. I would Definitely would recommend this to anyone who is looking for a special and memorable time away.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends

It was very good to know that you had a most enjoyable visit to our hotel. I was very pleased that you found the staff to be helpful and in particular from the concierge department, William.

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to write your review, so that you can share your visit with other guests who will be visiting the hotel.

Reviewed 15 February 2014

Stayed here for our anniversary. The staff were very helpful and friendly. Our room was on the small side but it was very nicely furbished and also quiet. The hotel is central close to all the bars and attractions. This was a great hotel in an AMAZING city! Would definitely recommend it to anyone who is looking for something special and full character.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple

I was really pleased that you enjoyed your Anniversary stay at the hotel, and that you found the staff at the hotel to be friendly and helpful.

It was good to know that you found the Randolph to be convenient with all the wonderful attractions that we have in Oxford.

Thank you for staying with us, and I hope we will be able to welcome you back again soon.