“Very mixed”

Macdonald Randolph Hotel
Ranked #17 of 44 Hotels in Oxford
Reviewed 21 March 2014

I arrived a little late at the Randolph and needed to change to attend a dinner at one of the Oxford colleges. I walked in wearing jeans and a pullover, it was very clear from the behaviours of the porters that I was 'not welcome here'.

Nevertheless, I checked in, asked for my car to be parked, and went upstairs to change. On returning in suit and tie, I was treated quite differently, a taxi was hailed and I was helped in.

Strange really, I hadn't changed me, just my clothes. Says a lot about this place.

The bedroom was comfortable, too hot with windows that don't open enough. The TV was impossible to work, it would only play Radio 3, and to access the wifi I had to sign up to an account giving my name, address, age, mother's maiden name, shoe size and children's breakfast preferences. Of course, if you have a China Mobile password, you don't have to go through that palaver. Why do hotels treat itinerant Chinese tourists as more important than paying UK guests?

So, £201 for a room for 7 hours sleep, off hand porters, dis-functional tv/wifi. On the plus side, I was asked of I would like tea when I left at 5.30 the next morning, thus the 2 rating. Otherwise, a slam dunk 1.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
5  Thank Soutanglie
Manager_Randolph, General Manager at Macdonald Randolph Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 April 2014

Thank you for posting a review. I was concerned by your comments when arriving to the hotel. We treat all guests with the greatest respect and I am sorry that you felt this was not the case due to your attire.

With regards to your comments about the Cloud wi-fi service, to setup an account takes very little time with minimal information required. Our Asian guests also have to setup an account.

I am sorry that the room was too hot and the TV settings were not working. We provide operating instructions in all our bedroom directories and the system has been normally very well received.

I shall be taking the liberty of discussing all your points at our weekly team meeting and do hope that we may be of service to you again in the future.

Reviewed 17 March 2014

Another wonderful stay at The Randolph. You simply can't beat the location and when teamed with friendly, efficient staff and 5 star luxury it's definitely the best place to stay in Oxford. Special thanks to John Eskobar on concierge who really went above and beyond to help us out.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Manager_Randolph, General Manager at Macdonald Randolph Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 March 2014

Thank you for posting a review. I was pleased to learn of your comments and I know John Escobar will be most motivated by your comments.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

Reviewed 14 March 2014

We stayed here in a superior room .....the room was absolutely beautiful .....but on the night the music from a nearby nightclub became unbearable due to no modern glazing ......I complained to the night duty manager Nik ......who was fantastic ....we moved to another room which I think was a suite ......nothing was too much for Nik .....we even had a comp bottle of wine ......service great ...food great ....this was our second time at the Randolph ....wont be the last

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank petemcgrath

Thank you for taking the time to post a review. I was sorry that you were disturbed by noise from a nearby night club. Being in a city centre location we do experience certain levels of urban noise. I shall be speaking to the council regarding this. Please be assured that this is a very rare occurrence.

Thank you for your kind comments regarding Nik our Assistant Night Manager who I know will be delighted read them.

We very much look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

Reviewed 4 March 2014

Our stay there was a pure pleasure from start to end. Staff were all helpful, courteous and nothing was too much trouble. The Valet parking was an excellent service. Hotel room was lovely and clean and the "Sweet Dreams" chocolate left on the pillows was a nice touch. The star of the weekend was the concierge, he was brilliant, helpful, he knew exactly what was going on, where everything was in town. He is truly suited to the job and he does it so well!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Selena H

Thank you for taking the time to post a review. I know the team will be delighted to learn of your comments.

We pride ourselves in offering the highest levels of service and comfort to our guests and I am so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us.

I do hope we have the pleasure of being of service to you again in the future.

Reviewed 2 March 2014

Wanted to click on a 'Good' - it is not 'very good' but above 'average'. The meet and greet at this hotel is excellent. The concierge met us on the pavement and took our car away while another took us inside. At first glance it is quite a grand, majestic reception, bar and lounge - and we did enjoy champagne in the Morse Bar. However, on the way to our room the public corridors are quite shabby and in need of decorating. In fact, my heart started to drop as I wondered what the room would be like. However, the room was lovely and very clean. Breakfast in the grand, old dining room was very good. Location good to explore Oxford and it was easy to find, without going through the town. Get the public areas spruced and don't let the glory fade!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank TessaNearLeeds

Thank you for taking the time to post a review. I was pleased that you enjoyed your time with us here at the hotel and. I was sorry that the mini-bar had been overlooked prior to your check in and I shall be having the necessary remedial training carried out.

The room you were staying in was one of our spacious executive rooms in our Worcester Wing at the hotel. These are a slight distance from the main body of the hotel, however do boast separate baths and showers and more space for our guests.

I do hope that we have the pleasure of being of service to you again in the future.

Reviewed 2 March 2014

We stayed here for two nights whilst getting married in Oxford. We we very grateful to be upgraded on arrival to a suite room and we found our room to be spotless and very comfortable. The hotel staff were simply excellent which made us feel very special. It was a very grand experience . The room was luxurious and full of extras such as a nespresso machine, complimentary chocolates, moulton brown toiletries and lovely bathrobes to use. Room service was excellent. Prices for drinks in the Morse bar and the fridge in the room were very priced i.e 9.75 for a glass of wine. So we did not drink in the hotel and the food in the restaurant in was also very pricey. However the experience of staying in such a grand hotel made up for this. Thanks for helping to make our wedding weekend a special experience.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 2bestmates

Thank you for taking the time to post a review. I am pleased that you enjoyed your time with us and we were able to be a part of your wedding celebrations. I know the team will be most motivated by your comments.

We regularly carry out price comparison checks to ensure our products and services are in line with other establishments and I am sorry that you found the food and beverage elements to be expensive.

Once again thank you for posting a review and wishing you all the best for your future together.

Reviewed 26 February 2014

Arrived at the front door to be instantly greeted by a concierge who whisked our luggage out of the boot and valet parked the car. We were early but our room was ready and we were given an upgrade from a classic to an executive without asking. Beautiful art and crafts foyer with gothic arches and stained glass and a beautiful staircase. A longish walk to our room at 172 however it was at the back of the hotel and was unbelievably quiet for a city centre location, no traffic noise at all. Room spacious, Moulton and Brown toiletries, large bathroom with seperate shower and bath, all beautifully laid out. Extremely easy to walk out into Oxford for all the colleges, the market, the Bodleian Library, the Ashmolean, restaurants (great Thai down a little alley off High Street). When we got back our bed had been turned down and choccies on the pillows. Crisp white sheets, feather pillows and an incredibly comfortable bed. Great choice at breakfast with attentive staff. Concierges are all so delightful and helpful and nothing is too much trouble. I said it's 'the little things' because all the little things add up to one wonderful experience. It was my husbands and mine Christmas present to each other and it lived up to expectation.
One little funny was the half eaten bar of Green and Blacks in the fridge when we arrived (how they could've left half I don't know!) which was removed promptly when notified. Drinks in the bar are on the pricey side but hey it's a 5* hotel so to be expected.

Room Tip: Back of the hotel is very quiet but a longer walk. If you want a view then the front overlooks the A...