“Mixed Review”

Macdonald Randolph Hotel
Ranked #17 of 45 Hotels in Oxford
Reviewed 21 March 2014

This is truly one of the grand old hotels in Oxford and the city location is just superb.
I arrived slightly early at around 13ish and unfortunately my room was not ready by then. After a long distance flight, it would have been nice to head into the room but such is life.

In the long run, I was not disappointed because I took the opportunity to have the Afternoon Tea in the Drawing Room. It was exactly how you expect a English afternoon tea to be, it was a delight! My advice to everyone, make a booking because there were numerous people being turned away as places are very limited. I was lucky that they could fit me in and I could sit there in comfort waiting for my room to be ready, which was at around 15.00....

The room, 167, for those interested, is a spacious well appointed executive room and I had booked something bigger on purpose because as a single traveller you might get a sort of rumpus room - has happened to me before at other hotels in the UK.
It is on the back side of the house which means it is undisturbed by the traffic in the front but does not have any view at all. I would not recommend it for someone who has limited walking abilities though because it is quite a walk and you also have to navigate some stairs. Fortunately a staff saw me carrying my hand luggage and was very quick to offer help. Of course, the larger suitcase was delivered by the bell boy.
My advice, don't dismay during the walk to your room, the public areas could need some tender love and care and I was slightly worried at what awaited me at the end... but without a reason.

Also, because I noticed that other reviewers had commented on this, this room does not have any problems with wifi and in fact, I did find the Cloud easy to use. The staff at the reception had also mentioned the need to set up an account which was easy enough to handle.

I had tried to contact the Spa beforehand in order to make a booking but waited in vain for a reply. Upon sending a second email, I finally got a response advising me that they were fully booked for the requested day and instead offered another day and time. Unfortunately that did not suit me. Upon check in, I mentioned this and the Reception Manager tried to see if there was still a chance to get a booking. I thought that was a really nice touch. So, I cannot comment on the spa, except that they might want to be more prompt in replying and you should not think that it is easy to get a booking even for a weekday and more than one week in advance...

The breakfast is a very lovely buffet and the option of hot breakfast made to order. I would suggest that you get your hot order in immediately, otherwise they might forget that you exist. And this was the problem, the service did not manage the room well, only focusing on what is in direct line of sight. If you are sitting in a corner, bad luck. They will not clear your table, so be prepared to stack the dishes. However, when I got up to go the buffet for a second time, everything vanished, including the fresh tea that I had just ordered. Hmmm, you will get it back, eventually....
Other than this, the food is excellent and it is a good idea to see whether you can book your accommodation with the breakfast included.

Would I stay there again, yes I think so. Despite the slight set backs in service, once you make your expectations and wishes known, they will try to accommodate you. Just be prepared to ask for it because at the end of the day, you are paying a fair bit of money for this hotel! So the overall substance is there but in regards to the little things that would make a stay more than average, in particular for a five star hotel, well, in my case you have to work on them...

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank TSkippy
Manager_Randolph, General Manager at Macdonald Randolph Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 April 2014

Thank you for taking the time to post a review. I was pleased that on the whole you enjoyed your stay with us. I was sorry to learn of the communications problems with the spa and have discussed your points with my Spa Manager. Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We endeavour to offer efficient and speedy responses to all guests’ correspondence.

Thank you for comments regarding the Cloud Wi-Fi service. This was installed some months ago to replace the very unreliable BT-OpenZone service we used to operate. It does however need an account setup but offers far superior connection and speed and there are several hotspots in the city where you can use the service further.

I am sorry the service at breakfast was lacking and not very streamlined. We are working hard to ensure that our busy breakfast service is efficient and meets guests’ expectations and thank you for your valuable feedback.

I do hope that we can of assistance to you in the future when your travel plans bring you back to the city of Oxford.

Michael Grange

Write a ReviewReviews (3,363)

Reviewed 21 March 2014

I arrived a little late at the Randolph and needed to change to attend a dinner at one of the Oxford colleges. I walked in wearing jeans and a pullover, it was very clear from the behaviours of the porters that I was 'not welcome here'.

Nevertheless, I checked in, asked for my car to be parked, and went upstairs to change. On returning in suit and tie, I was treated quite differently, a taxi was hailed and I was helped in.

Strange really, I hadn't changed me, just my clothes. Says a lot about this place.

The bedroom was comfortable, too hot with windows that don't open enough. The TV was impossible to work, it would only play Radio 3, and to access the wifi I had to sign up to an account giving my name, address, age, mother's maiden name, shoe size and children's breakfast preferences. Of course, if you have a China Mobile password, you don't have to go through that palaver. Why do hotels treat itinerant Chinese tourists as more important than paying UK guests?

So, £201 for a room for 7 hours sleep, off hand porters, dis-functional tv/wifi. On the plus side, I was asked of I would like tea when I left at 5.30 the next morning, thus the 2 rating. Otherwise, a slam dunk 1.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
5  Thank Soutanglie

Thank you for posting a review. I was concerned by your comments when arriving to the hotel. We treat all guests with the greatest respect and I am sorry that you felt this was not the case due to your attire.

With regards to your comments about the Cloud wi-fi service, to setup an account takes very little time with minimal information required. Our Asian guests also have to setup an account.

I am sorry that the room was too hot and the TV settings were not working. We provide operating instructions in all our bedroom directories and the system has been normally very well received.

I shall be taking the liberty of discussing all your points at our weekly team meeting and do hope that we may be of service to you again in the future.

Reviewed 17 March 2014

Another wonderful stay at The Randolph. You simply can't beat the location and when teamed with friendly, efficient staff and 5 star luxury it's definitely the best place to stay in Oxford. Special thanks to John Eskobar on concierge who really went above and beyond to help us out.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Manager_Randolph, General Manager at Macdonald Randolph Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 March 2014

Thank you for posting a review. I was pleased to learn of your comments and I know John Escobar will be most motivated by your comments.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

Reviewed 14 March 2014

We stayed here in a superior room .....the room was absolutely beautiful .....but on the night the music from a nearby nightclub became unbearable due to no modern glazing ......I complained to the night duty manager Nik ......who was fantastic ....we moved to another room which I think was a suite ......nothing was too much for Nik .....we even had a comp bottle of wine ......service great ...food great ....this was our second time at the Randolph ....wont be the last

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank petemcgrath

Thank you for taking the time to post a review. I was sorry that you were disturbed by noise from a nearby night club. Being in a city centre location we do experience certain levels of urban noise. I shall be speaking to the council regarding this. Please be assured that this is a very rare occurrence.

Thank you for your kind comments regarding Nik our Assistant Night Manager who I know will be delighted read them.

We very much look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

Reviewed 4 March 2014

Our stay there was a pure pleasure from start to end. Staff were all helpful, courteous and nothing was too much trouble. The Valet parking was an excellent service. Hotel room was lovely and clean and the "Sweet Dreams" chocolate left on the pillows was a nice touch. The star of the weekend was the concierge, he was brilliant, helpful, he knew exactly what was going on, where everything was in town. He is truly suited to the job and he does it so well!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Selena H

Thank you for taking the time to post a review. I know the team will be delighted to learn of your comments.

We pride ourselves in offering the highest levels of service and comfort to our guests and I am so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us.

I do hope we have the pleasure of being of service to you again in the future.

Reviewed 2 March 2014

Wanted to click on a 'Good' - it is not 'very good' but above 'average'. The meet and greet at this hotel is excellent. The concierge met us on the pavement and took our car away while another took us inside. At first glance it is quite a grand, majestic reception, bar and lounge - and we did enjoy champagne in the Morse Bar. However, on the way to our room the public corridors are quite shabby and in need of decorating. In fact, my heart started to drop as I wondered what the room would be like. However, the room was lovely and very clean. Breakfast in the grand, old dining room was very good. Location good to explore Oxford and it was easy to find, without going through the town. Get the public areas spruced and don't let the glory fade!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank TessaNearLeeds

Thank you for taking the time to post a review. I was pleased that you enjoyed your time with us here at the hotel and. I was sorry that the mini-bar had been overlooked prior to your check in and I shall be having the necessary remedial training carried out.

The room you were staying in was one of our spacious executive rooms in our Worcester Wing at the hotel. These are a slight distance from the main body of the hotel, however do boast separate baths and showers and more space for our guests.

I do hope that we have the pleasure of being of service to you again in the future.

Reviewed 2 March 2014

We stayed here for two nights whilst getting married in Oxford. We we very grateful to be upgraded on arrival to a suite room and we found our room to be spotless and very comfortable. The hotel staff were simply excellent which made us feel very special. It was a very grand experience . The room was luxurious and full of extras such as a nespresso machine, complimentary chocolates, moulton brown toiletries and lovely bathrobes to use. Room service was excellent. Prices for drinks in the Morse bar and the fridge in the room were very priced i.e 9.75 for a glass of wine. So we did not drink in the hotel and the food in the restaurant in was also very pricey. However the experience of staying in such a grand hotel made up for this. Thanks for helping to make our wedding weekend a special experience.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 2bestmates

Thank you for taking the time to post a review. I am pleased that you enjoyed your time with us and we were able to be a part of your wedding celebrations. I know the team will be most motivated by your comments.

We regularly carry out price comparison checks to ensure our products and services are in line with other establishments and I am sorry that you found the food and beverage elements to be expensive.

Once again thank you for posting a review and wishing you all the best for your future together.