“A wonderful Step Back in Time”

Macdonald Randolph Hotel
Ranked #16 of 44 Hotels in Oxford
Reviewed 13 April 2014

Visiting Oxford I couldn't think of a better location. The Oxford Playhouse just doors away, the wonderful museum across the road and an easy stroll to every other attraction. The hotel has been beautifully renovated, but is still extremely elegant and stylish. The service is exceptional and the dining room is to die for. I particularly liked being able to pre-book car parking and have my car taken from me at the front door a quietly whisked away with no fuss. All meals were excellent and beautifully presented. My wife and can't wait to visit again next August.

Room Tip: All rooms are very quiet, so it doesn't matter which one you have.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Manager_Randolph, General Manager at Macdonald Randolph Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 May 2014

Thank you for posting a review and I was pleased to learn your enjoyed your stay with us. We do offer valet parking at the hotel costing £28.50 per night. Our restaurant boasts a beautiful view of the Martyr’s Memorial and Ashmolean Museum and is the perfect venue for an intimate dinner or celebrating with colleagues. Our Head Chef Simon Bradley has created a fabulous menu and we are striving for our 3rd AA Rosette currently.

We very much look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

Michael Grange

Write a ReviewReviews (3,312)

Reviewed 12 April 2014

We stayed at this hotel for 2 night in February. The hotel is a beautiful traditional generally in good order. The position is fantastic, we had a beautiful room opposite the museum, lovely view.

Te bed was comfortable and the sheets crisp and clean. There was a nespresso coffee machine in the room and ample tea making items .

There is very limited parking at the hotel and expensive. We opted to go to the park and ride. The bus dropped right opposite the hotel. Very easy to use and we would use again .

The hotel bar prices are a little high, more tan the average hotel.

Breakfast buffet lovely with lots of choice, hot food made to order .

All in all we would re visit for a special occasion .

Room Tip: View of the museum.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank susan1warwickshire

Thank you for your kind review following your stay with us. I was pleased that you enjoyed your visit to Oxford. We are indeed right opposite The Ashmolean Museum and in walking distance of most of the city attractions and colleges.

Parking is very limited in the city and we charge £28.50 per night for valet parking. Oxford does have a very good park and ride facility located on the ring road and allows visitors to avoid the heavily congested city centre.

Please be assured that we regularly carry out competitor pricing reviews to ensure our prices are in line with similar establishments.

I do hope we can be of service to you again in the future where you can be assured of a very warm welcome.

Reviewed 10 April 2014

We stayed for one night last weekend as we were attending a dinner in my husband's old college. There was a large wedding party in the hotel at the same time (we didn't notice any extra noise, just lots of people in wedding finery in the reception) so I imagine rooms were at a premium and we had been allocated a room which must also be for guests who use wheelchairs (the handbasin was lower than normal, there was a no bath but a wet-room type of shower, which was very good - the bathroom was obviously big enough to manoeuvre in a wheelchair). The staff were very helpful, and friendly but not obsequious - our dog being a magnet for treats, compliments and attention - I know it's an easy way to a dog-owner's heart but this felt genuine.

We have stayed a few times at the Randolph over the years and it does indeed feel like a grand old lady of a hotel, not super-fashionable, but a true landmark. The concierge, porters and reception staff are fantastic (we didn't meet any other staff as we ate elsewhere). It might be nice if at some point the colour schemes were lightened up - but not at a cost of smaller rooms, which seems to happen when a hotel is refurbished! It is as much for the scale of our bedroom and bathroom that I rated our room as very good.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank DH2109

Thank you for your kind review and I was delighted you enjoyed your stay with us. We do accept dogs at the hotel but not in our food and beverage areas due to health and safety reasons. Thank you for your kind comments regarding the bedroom. This is one of our accessible rooms which boast a wet room style bathroom and lower level units.

I do hope we can be of service to you again in the future.

Reviewed 8 April 2014

What was once a great property is dying and it shows. Everywhere tired and depressed, including majority of the staff, with a full refurb it could be great. Not a fan of this operator as many of their properties in a similar state and its the $$$ that is lacking and holding it back.

A short visit and it will be a long time before I will want to return.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 8 April 2014

Stayed again in February after having a wonderful 5 night stay over Christmas. This hotel never fails to delight us, the charm and character of the building make it a very comfortable and welcoming hotel. The outstanding staff always go the extra mile to make the stay special. We always use the restaurant, after starting with cocktails in the bar and the food is always of a very high standard. Looking forward to another excellent stay again over Easter.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Yugneb
Reviewed 8 April 2014

My partner and I stayed here after attending a friend's birthday in Oxford. We had managed to get a slightly cheaper rate due to a promotion at the time which meant it was only £40 or so more than the average price of other accomodation (Oxford is very expensive to stay in anyway!) so we thought it worth splashing out on somewhere that we had often walked past and admired. We were definitely under-dressed for visiting the restaurant so I can only really speak for the room facilities in this review. Everything felt luxurious, very well presented room and immaculately clean. We ordered room service breakfasts (if you're going 'posh', might as well go the whole hog!) which were delicious and cooked well. The staff on reception were all friendly and extremely helpful. Additionally in my post-stay questionnaire I remarked that it would be nice to be able to join their loyalty club and count the points from the stay that we had just done. I received an email from the manager a short while later saying that our details had been passed on to The Club and it had all been set up for me, really shows that someone is paying attention to feedback.
I would absolutely recommend staying there and we're looking for a time when we can go again!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Sattamassagana
Reviewed 7 April 2014

The hotel provides an excellent service and has a very friendly personnel. It's location is very favourable being opposite to Asmolean Museum and close to the main city sights. In particular I would like to emphasize a high professionalism and extreme helpfulness of personnel from the dining room, and excellent breakfast provided.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business