“Beautiful Hotel amazing staff”

Macdonald Randolph Hotel
Ranked #17 of 44 Hotels in Oxford
Reviewed 30 April 2014

Upon arrival at this hotel I felt slightly out of place but as soon as I checked in I instantly felt at ease. The Concierge was incredibly helpful throughout form taking our bags to the room, recommended hidden gems such at Raoul's cocktail bar, arranging for our car to be parked for the day so we could enjoy a day exploring Oxford after the Valet parking had run out and recommending great things to see throughout our stay. The hotel was immaculate. The room we stayed in 103 had a great view of the town and had an incredible 4 poster bed. My new husband was most impressed with the Nespresso machine and complementary pods in the room! The breakfast was fabulous with an amazing choice of cold options, could of had more hot options though. Highly recommended hotel will be staying again.

Room Tip: Room 103 has an amazing view of Oxford
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Manager_Randolph, General Manager at Macdonald Randolph Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 May 2014

Thank you your kind review following your stay with us. The team and I were delighted your enjoyed your stay. Room 103 is one of our feature four poster rooms and boasts a view of the Ashmolean Museum and Martyr’s Memorial. All of our executive grade bedrooms and above have a nespresso machine with complimentary coffee pods as standard.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

Reviewed 23 April 2014

The service we received in the Morse Bar was the least attentive I've had in a long time anywhere. There were only two small parties in the bar while we were there and it took ages to get service or drinks. The barman was very youngish and unprofessional. He seemed to be preoccupied serving mostly the dining room servers with drinks for their guest tables instead of his guests in the bar.

Our dining room service and meal later were superb by comparison.

I was a hotel guest during a rainy time and my single guest room below street level was overwhelmed by a terrible sewage odor. My room was booked for a business trip and was otherwise serviceable. In a perverse twist of fate the bath seemed better appointed and more spacious than the bedroom area.

Room Tip: if it is rainy ask for a room in the upper floors. trust me.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank nkmunn

Thank you for taking the time to post a review. I was sorry to learn you were disappointed with your stay. I shall be discussing your comments with my Bar Manager as these are not the normal comments made about the service. I was pleased however that the dining experience was very good.

I will be contacting Thames Water and the Oxford City Council with regards to the odour you experienced from your front facing bedroom. Thank you for bringing this to our attention. Please be assured that our drains are regularly serviced and sanatized.

Being an older property, all our bedrooms and bathrooms vary in size at the hotel. We offer all our rooms with every confidence that our guests will be comfortable. I do appreciate that some of our single bedrooms are small. For guests who require more space I would recommend an executive grade bedroom which boast larger rooms.

I do hope that we will be able to welcome you back to the hotel in the future.

Reviewed 23 April 2014

I have stayed here many times over the past few years, mainly in connection with the Oxford Literary festival. We love its solid old world charm, quiet efficiency and comfortable rooms. The bar is great and they cater for night owls in deep conversation. The location is unbeatable.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business

Thank you for your kind review. We are the Oxford Literary Festival’s preferred hotel over the festival period and always enjoy welcoming attendees. We offer special rates also when booked in advance.

We hope to welcome you back to the hotel for next year’s event.

Reviewed 21 April 2014

My husband and I stayed here for a couple of nights after we got married. It was a really beautiful place to spend a couple of days. We had a beautiful corner roon with views straight over to the Ashmolean.
The staff are so warm, welcoming and professional. John who parked our car and helped with our luggage was brilliant as was the man who served us in the Morse bar. He even went to the trouble of printing out the quotes on the bar menu for me. Thank you.
We went to the thermal spa but I wouldnt really recommend it.
Overall a lovely mini moon.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your kind review and I know the team will be most motivated by your comments in particular John in our concierge team. He really is a true asset to the hotel. I was pleased we could be a part of your ‘mini-moon’ and Oxford is a very beautiful city to visit with its historic buildings, The Randolph being one of them right in the heart of the city.

I am sorry you did not enjoy our Thermal Suite at the hotel. We have a spa built in the cellars of the hotel comprising of a mini-gym, 2 steam rooms, 2 saunas and a Jacuzzi. Guests are charged £15.00 per person to use this for the duration of their stay. We offer a range of Elemis treatments and products and pre-booking is essential.

I do hope we can be of service to you again in the future and wishing you both every happiness in your new married life together.

Reviewed 21 April 2014

I've wanted to stay here since my uni days, having passed it's regal exterior on my many trips into the centre. 12 years later, I was not disappointed.

The hotel isn't mod-con'd to the eyeballs; I would imagine newer hotels cater for this type of client. The Randolph caters for those who like a bit of history and occasion in their stay.

Service here is excellent, from the help of the concierge, to the restaurant staff (who pulled out all the stops to ensure a miss-booking was not only recovered, but exceeded what we would have experienced had it all gone to plan.

Oxford is a fantastic city; The Randolph is a fantastic place to stay while experiencing the city of spires.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Manager_Randolph, General Manager at Macdonald Randolph Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 May 2014

Thank you taking the time to post a review. I was so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us. I am sorry your original restaurant booking was not in the diary, however delighted the team managed to redeem themselves.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

Reviewed 21 April 2014

Fabulous location! Central Oxford city location, steeped in history and beautiful architecture. My partner and I were upgraded on arrival to a spectaclar room! (Room 150) - Very quiet. The towels were fluffy and the bed ultra comfortable. The Sunday lunch was absolutely outstanding, The service is first class the Conceirge took the car from us and we didn't have to worry about it as parked in a secure car park. (recommended that the hotel sorts out the car as Oxford is terribly expensive when comes to parking for over 12 hours) We felt very special and as it was our 10th anniversary, we couldn't have picked a better hotel. We will definitely return and cannot wait to!

Room Tip: Room 150! Absolutely lovely! Very quiet. Had a comfy sofa and coffee table. Light and bright.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your kind review and I know the team will be delighted by your feedback. The city of Oxford is very limited for parking and we charge £28.50 for overnight valet parking and it is essential to pre-book as we only have so many spaces. The city is a great destination to celebrate an anniversary and I do hope that we may have the pleasure of being of service to you again in the future.

Reviewed 21 April 2014

we stayed at the Randolph after winning a stay in a charity auction , the hotel exceeded all expectation , the actual hotel was beautiful and elegant , our room was very comfortable and had everything we needed , nice touches like chocolate and fruit were there when we arrived , also as it was easter sunday the next day we were left crème eggs by housekeeping , we dined in the rather wonderfully grand restaurant and the food was exceptional , before eating we visited the morse bar , where we had cocktails , first class service and lovely surroundings especially if you are a morse fan. where the hotel excels is it's staff , without exception everyone was welcoming and attentive and clearly have a great pride in the hotel and love their jobs , special mentions to Hana , Liberty and Fernando in the restarant who looked after us so well , a credit to the hotel. also Dean who didn't want to be mentioned , but chatted to us about the hotel and told us some great morse stories. nice to meet a staff who are passionate about their jobs. a class act. we will hopefully return.

Room Tip: we stayed in 328 , very comfortable. a little noise from the street but nothing too bad. nice room.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for posting a review and we were delighted you enjoyed your stay with us. All the team work really hard to ensure our guests are comfortable and well looked after and I am pleased we were able to welcome you to the city of Oxford.