“Mrs L Copeland” 5 of 5 bubbles

Macdonald Randolph Hotel
Ranked #13 of 44 Hotels in Oxford
“Mrs L Copeland”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2014 via mobile

Have now stayed at The Randolph many times and I have to say it gets better every time. I have stayed in many Oxford hotels over the years and this I have to say is by far the best. Excellent staff and of course Mr Grange. Thank you all yet again and see you later in the year.

Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Manager_Randolph, General Manager at Macdonald Randolph Hotel, responded to this review, 19 May 2014
Thank you for your review and it is always very positive to receive feedback from regular guests and I am pleased that you enjoyed your return stay with us.

Looking forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

Michael Grange

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (516)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2014

Although I have never been to another hotel in Oxford, this surely has to be the best you can get there. The exterior is truly remarkable, an authentic victorian mansion! The interior is impressive as well. The staff is friendly and caring, just a few minutes after arrival room service was knocking on my door offering some chocolate:) The lady at the front desk even offered that somebody will iron my shirts in the morning if I wish so. The breakfast is rich, there are lots of staff to chose from, and you are able to order your cooked breakfast from the staff. The hotel is in a really central location. I'd definetley would recmoend for it for anyone.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for kind review following your stay with us here at The Randolph Hotel. The team will be delighted by your comments. We do offer laundry service at the hotel and can press garments for guests on request.

I do hope we will be able to welcome you back to the hotel in the future when your travel plans bring you back to the city of Oxford.

Derby, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2014

Amazing experience. Wonderful location. Helpful and friendly staff. Lots of special touches, chocolates and wine in our room. Magazines in your room to read. Big selection of hot drinks and well stocked mini bar. Breakfast is a grand affair with heaps of choice, it tastes great too. Didn't want to get out of shower as it was so relaxing. Huge comfy beds. Didn't want to leave. Only slight negative was the cruchy pillows and a stain on the carpet. Walking distance to everywhere!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a street facing view.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you posting a review and I know the team will be delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us. Here at the hotel we offer all our rooms with every confidence guests will be comfortable and I am pleased that you enjoyed your bedroom. I was perturbed by a stain noted on the carpet and that the pillows were not to your liking. Housekeeping are able to provide alternative pillow options. I am sorry the stain had not been noted prior to your check in.

I do hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2014

What is expected of a Victorian-era hotel in a small city? A rambling old building with eccentric corridors, creaky floors and the ambiance of a long-past era.
Which made for an ideal one-night stay for a business conference in Oxford. The location amid the legendary university buildings was unbeatable. The room was perfectly adequate in size, furnishings and amenities (robes, fluffy towels on a heated bar, separate shower and tub) and the service was all that could be expected.
The public rooms are very appealing -- a small cozy bar, a genteel tea room, a very nice restaurant where the table spacing and careful service made an excellent setting for a working business dinner. Full English breakfast at the buffet was a fine way to start the day -- the dining room in the corner of the ground floor faces the streets so is light and lively.
Two bits of advice: First, rooms in the back wing are a very long walk from the lobby -- ask for the front. Second, the hotel is about a 15 minute walk from the train station, which can be done with ease in decent weather -- but the bottlenecked roads can mean twice that in travel time by car -- so take heed.

Room Tip: Try to stay near the lobby - the back wing is a long walk.
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time to post a review. I was delighted to learn that your enjoyed your conference stay with us. We are indeed right in the heart of the city. We offer the Morse Bar for cocktails, The Drawing Room for our famous afternoon tea and a 2 AA Rosette restaurant overlooking the Ashmolean Museum and Martyr’s Memorial.

I do hope we can be of service to you again in the future.

Gloucs
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2014

We are local to Oxford and thought we would give the famous Randolph a try have stayed at The Old Parsonage & Old Bank which are both excellent.On arrival they are very quick to park your car for you this will relieve you of £28.50 for one nights parking!Room was excellent but for £299 I would expect breakfast included but it is not!That will relieve you of a further £19.50 per person.
Ordered sandwiches and a glass of wine about 10.30 Friday night in the lounge,The wine took 30mins to arrive followed by the sandwiches bread was stale and hard, crisps soft,even the manager said they were rubbish and were sent back no explanation given,however didn't have to pay for these.
Service at breakfast very slow but food was good.
We will not be returning there are much better options in Oxford.
PS The Macdonald in Woodstock is excellent

Room Tip: Rooms in the old parsonage are the best
3 Thank Paul3008
Thank you for taking the time to post a review. I am sorry that you experienced issues with service during your stay. Please be assured I will be discussing this with the team at our weekly meeting.

With regards to the car parking we charge £28.50 per night for valet parking. The council charges £29.50 for 24 hours but the city is very well serviced with a park and ride system and allows guests to avoid the heavily congested city centre.

I am sorry that you found the room rate high. Weekends in the city of Oxford are at a premium and it is always good to book as far in advance as possible to check our website for any special offers. We do offer inclusive breakfast rates but once we reach a certain number we stop selling these. This is to ensure that we have enough space for guests. The team will endeavour to seat guests on non inclusive rates but this may not be possible. We charge a flat rate of £19.50 for access to our continental buffet as well as a cooked to order English breakfast.

I do hope that despite the shortcomings we may be of service to you again in the future.

Yours sincerely,

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2014

A first class hotel with a wonderful location. Very traditional and very elegant. And the staff were friendly and forthcoming. The only negative remark to add is that the receptionist in the hotel spa was extremely rude. She was more concerned with how to paint her own nails than helping us to book a time. A disgrace to the hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for walking distance from reception area to room. Some rooms are a good 10 minutes walk away.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Ridderbjelke
Thank you for posting a review. I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us. The hotel is indeed full of character and right in the heart of the city.

I was very perturbed to learn that the spa receptionist was less than courteous and shall be speaking to the team about this. This is not the service we pride ourselves in at The Randolph Hotel and thank you for bringing this to my attention.

I do hope that we can be of service to you again in the future.

東京都
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2014

これまで何度か利用したことがあり、フロントから遠い部屋が多いので、近くをと希望するも満室とかで最奥の部屋に案内され、そこはセントラルヒーティングがない!
寒いので洋服ダンスに用意されてあった簡易型電気ヒーターを取り出してスイッチを入れて15分、突然テレビやいくつかのあかりが消えてヒューズが飛んだらしい。フロントに文句を言うと直してくれたが、再びスイッチを入れると、また同じ。再度フロントに文句を言うと、あなたがヒーターと一緒にコンピューターを使うせいだ。外国の人が外国のコンピューターを持ってきていろいろ使うから電気の消費量が多くなるという始末。寒くて仕方がないので部屋を変えてくれというと満室で一晩寝るだけ別の部屋では?といわれた。翌朝伝記を直しにきたが、結局、新しいヒーターは使えないので、3泊して、暖房なし。おまけにレイトチェックアウトを聞いてもそのつど明日来て、最後の晩に来て、当時来てと三回言われた。一泊3万円以上払い、五つ星で、立地も良いが、スタッフの対応がひどすぎる。二度と使わない。No central heating. When I used a portable heater kept in room, the electricity was out. I asked to repair and the reason to front staff, then I was told that my computer is using a big power of electricity. He claimed that many foreign guests brings many different foreign computers and it makes trouble. Is this hotel welcome only British who use British computer? Next morning, the light was on but basically there is no central heating and no more portable heater. Three nights with NO HEATING!! CO COLD!!!!! And I asked late check out, then the answer is please come last night you check out, then again, please come the morning you check out, then the staff told me we are not sure.
I have been using this hotel whenever I come to Oxford since 1999. However, I WILL NEVER NEVER USE AGAIN!!! SO COLD !!!!!!

Room Tip: いわゆるうなぎの寝床のようなホテルなのでフロントの近くの部屋をと希望するのがベストだが、いつも確約できずといわれほとんどの場合フロントから遠く、フロントに行くまでに2-3段の階段があり、バリアフリーに...
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank oxfordart
Thank you taking the time to post a review. I am sorry that you experienced power issues in your bedroom. After speaking to my Maintenance Manager it was due to the number of electronic items you were using in the bedroom which kept overloading the electricity supply to the bedroom. I am sorry about this and we are rectifying the problem to ensure our guests can operate multiple devices when they need to. Please be assured that this is a very rare occurrence at the hotel. I am sorry that the A/C unit was not working due to this and that you were cold.

I do hope that despite these issues we may welcome you back to the hotel in the future.