“Proposal”

Ranked #15 of 44 Hotels in Oxford
Oxford, United Kingdom
“Proposal”
Reviewed 27 May 2014

Had an amazing evening at the Randolph.Proposed to my other half in the evening,over some fantastic food.The whole could not have run any smoother,if not by such great organisation and service.A great thanks to Andrew the restaurant who made everything happen.A truly amazing experience,which im shure will be many more to come.

Many Thanks

Mr J Clarke

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Manager_Randolph, General Manager at Macdonald Randolph Hotel, responded to this review, 4 June 2014
Thank you for your review and congratulations on your engagement! The hotel is a great place to propose and indeed celebrate anniversaries and birthdays. Our restaurant team led by Andrew will help cater for any occasion and request. Thank you for your kind comments and we hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the future.

Michael Grange

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (525)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Halifax, Canada
Reviewed 24 May 2014

We recently spent five days at the Randolph, and generally, it was a very pleasant experience. We had a front room facing the Ashmolean, smallish, but generally well-appointed, and only had a noise problem on the Saturday night when party-goers sang their way to the next party. We (Americans, Canadians, British and Japanese) were attending a large meeting, and the hotel provided breakfast and lunch as well as meeting rooms, all done efficiently and well. The food was very good, the ambience also very good, and the location excellent. I notice that there have been many complaints about service... we had no specific complaints, but there is a problem that all British hotels and restaurants seem to have since GB joined the EU, and that is that many staff are young Europeans working in GB to learn the English language. They do their best, and are usually efficient, but tend not to be friendly or pleasant by some standards. In the best of all possible worlds, there would have been a chest of drawers in our room...living out of a suitcase for five days isn't easy. In the best of all possible worlds, there would be more lifts (elevators), or at least a larger one...the two small ones take 2 persons comfortably, 4 uncomfortably, and 6 only if you're very friendly, and only one of them goes to the 4th floor. But this is an old hotel, and that is part of its charm, and I got my exercise each day walking up and down the beautiful wide, winding staircase, with its lovely carpets and stained glass windows. We also loved the Lancaster Room, and the connections with Morse and Lewis. Would we stay there again? Yes, indeed. And thanks to our Oxford friends John and Ruth, both for planning such a wonderful meeting, and choosing an excellent venue.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Janet M
Thank you for taking the time to post a review. I was pleased that your enjoyed your stay with us. Here at the hotel we offer 6 meeting rooms with various capacities to cater for business meeting and conferences. At the hotel and indeed throughout Macdonald Hotels we are committed to employing a diverse workforce and providing the necessary skills and training for team members to ensure our guests are well looked after and offering the highest levels of service and care. All our staff are scrutinized to ensure their level of English and competency for their roles is paramount. Our bedrooms do vary in size and the floors are served by a very grand staircase and 2 lifts.

I do hope that we can be of service to you again and thank you once again for taking the time and trouble to write a review.

Truro, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 May 2014

I am reticent to write this review, but have received no reply to my not insubstantial and specific concerns from either the hotel website or the survey I completed a day after check out.

It is a lovely hotel, but right from the start and throughout my stay of two nights the porters, the reception staff, the bar staff were downright rude and miserable. I paid top £ for my room, as it was my second graduation ceremony from the University of Oxford.

At check in, the room was not ready, even though we checked in at 16h00. The reception staff were too busy talking to each other to acknowledge us. In the meantime the porters were all over us, even though we only had hand baggage and suit carrier between us. I told them once, no thank you, but they did not seem to listen (thinking we were American and would tip I suppose).
In fact every time we went through the lobby there were loudly complaining Americans.... now I do not want to stereotype, I have travelled extensively in the US, and love the country. But they were Americans. I think the problem is, the staff has become so used to/ reliant upon the US for business, they adopt the default position of surly service to everybody else. I travel a lot for work, and am always treated as an individual in the hotels I go to. To be treated with scant regard as if I was a non-tip giving, non-complaining Brit and indeed not given any satisfactory attention at all, just because I did not shout, complain or be a tip-giver really shows that this establishment has a lot of work to do to deserve its star rating and/or any further business from me or my friends and family.

When I checked out, they tried to charge us for car parking (no car), breakfast (no breakfast) and newspapers (no newspapers). When I said I had not used any of these services, the reception person literally threw my credit card back at me with such force it sailed over the desk and landed on the floor. Bad day? We all have them. But when you pay £300 for a hotel room, and you are there for a very special occasion, staff cannot have bad days. Especially not three bad days in a row (we were there for two nights) and every single staff member having the same bad day......

The Macdonald Randolph had dreadful, snooty, arrogant, hubristic service which gives the UK tourist industry a very bad name. Molton Brown toiletries and a delightfully appointed room cannot cover up the stench of a rotten hotel.

Room Tip: I would not dare to ask the reception staff for any favours.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
6 Thank Jonathan_June2011
Manager_Randolph, Manager at Macdonald Randolph Hotel, responded to this review, 4 June 2014
Thank you for posting a review. I am sorry that you were disappointed with your stay with us and specifically for your second graduation in Oxford. I was very concerned by your comments regarding our customer service. This is not the normal feedback we receive. I will be checking the online survey feedback which you submitted and may I apologise if I missed this when responding. Here at the hotel our staff are here to help all guests and may I assure you that we do not single Americans that would ‘tip’. The comment is not conducive with our normal feedback and I shall be discussing with the team.

Please be assured that I will be discussing your comments at our weekly team meeting. We strive to offer the highest levels of care and service to our guests and I am sorry we have not lived up to this ideal.

I was concerned that items on your bill were incorrect. Are accounting procedures are normally very accurate. We always print guest bills and have them check this prior to departure but I fully understand your frustration. I will be having the necessary remedial training carried out and thank you for bringing this to my attention.

I do hope that we may have the pleasure of being of service to you again in the future.

Midlands
Reviewed 18 May 2014

My husband have stayed here a few times and it is a lovely hotel and a great location, but there were a few issues. The main one is staff training, particularly the bar staff. First I should say that all the staff were super-polite and friendly, willing to help, so the problem certainly wasn't one I blame individual staff members for. It was more the apparent lack of training.

Several times on separate occasions, we've ordered drinks and had diffculty having our order understood. Cocktails were on the menu, but staff didn't know what they were or how to make them. My husband spent 20 minutes trying to order a gin sling on room service - allegedly the hotel's signature cocktail - because the member of staff didn't know what one was.

Again, I don't blame the staff. When a hotel claims to offer five star service, staff should be trained to the highest level, not just thrown on the bar and expected to learn as they go.

Only other thing, depending on the time of year, the Morse bar regularly smells of sewage - hopefully they've fixed this problem by now, but I've been in on two occasions a year apart and there's been the same smell...

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank MichaMidlands
Manager_Randolph, General Manager at Macdonald Randolph Hotel, responded to this review, 19 May 2014
Thank you for posting a review and I was pleased that on the whole you enjoyed your stay with us. I was very worried to learn of your comments about lack of staff training. Here at the hotel and indeed throughout Macdonald Hotels, training is of the utmost importance to us. We strive to offer the highest levels of service and indeed have a well trained and happy team at the hotel. I shall be discussing your comments at our weekly team meeting and look at remedial training. Thank you for bringing this to my attention.

I am sorry that the Morse Bar suffered from an odour of sewage. Please be assured our drains are regularly serviced and are in perfect working order. I believe this is stemming from the council drains on Beaumont Street and I have contacted both the Oxford City Council and Thames Water.

I do hope that we can be of service to you again in the future when your travel plans bring you back to the city of Oxford.

Yours sincerely,

Poole, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 May 2014

We had to go to the Macdonald Randdolph for a business lunch yesterday in one of the private rooms and I must say that the food and the service were first class. We arrived by car and I had arranged for my car to be parked in advance as parking in Oxford is a nightmare . The car was parked and delivered when we were ready to leave by the concierge and I can recommend this service and the Hotel and the staff who were spot on.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Malcolm F
Thank you for your taking the time to post a review. We regularly host private business lunches and I know the team will be delighted by your feedback. Parking in the city as you state is quite rightly a nightmare. We offer valet parking at £28.50 per night to our guests and the concierge will take the car away so guests do not have to worry about parking in the city. Pre-booking is essential as we only have a small number of spaces.
I do hope that we can be of service to you in the future.
London
Reviewed 16 May 2014

An expensive hotel charging room only rates then £19.50 per person for breakfast. We chose not to have breakfast in the hotel but would highly recommend the Art Cafe which does an excellent breakfast for a fraction of the cost. This is the second time my husband and I have stayed at this hotel. The first time we were in a front room overlooking the street. Very noisy with traffic and people noises from outside late into the evening and starting again early in the morning. This time we had a standard room which was at the back of the hotel and away from traffic noise but close to the air conditioning unit. On balance I would go for the air conditioning. The restaurant is expensive, as you would expect, but well worth it. The food and service is excellent. The tables are spaced well apart therefore no accidental listening in on someone else's conversation. If you want five star luxury in the heart of Oxford then this hotel will certainly give you it - but shortage of rooms mean that the price is pushed to the limit.

Room Tip: Make sure you ask for a room at back of hotel as traffic noise is very loud in front rooms,
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your email. I was pleased you enjoyed your return visit to us. Being a city centre location and landlocked we do experience certain levels of urban noise and I am sorry that even with a bedroom at the back of the hotel, the air conditioning system was noisy. Please be assured the units are regularly serviced to ensure they are running as quietly as possible.

Thank you for your kind comments regarding the food and service. I know the team will be delighted by your comments.

I do hope we have the pleasure of being of service to you again in the future.

Newport Beach CA
Reviewed 14 May 2014

We recently spent a night at this hotel. We have stayed in Oxford many times but not at this place.
We paid for an upgraded room and while we did have a nice view from the window. the room was really tiny. No air conditioning and no way to open the window so our room was stuffy. The room had no drawers for items except in the bedside table. this was ok for overnight but would be a pain if one was staying longer. also no luggage storage. Really a tiny room.
We arrived the manager gave us a tour of the pictures of celebrities who had stayed there which was nice. When we got to our room there was a nice note from him with a box of chocolates which was a nice touch. Except that the box was open and some chocolates eaten. EWWW!
We had a nice drink in the Morse Bar which we love. The Cocktail bar has a proper mixologist and we were fascinated by the variety of drinks he made. The drinks were however very very expensive. $20 for most even wine. WE had dinner in the restaurant which I will review separately. The proper cooked breakfast in the dining room was lovely. The maitre de whose named I believe was Andrew Helmsley was just charming.

Room Tip: Ask for a view room.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to post review. I am sorry that you found the room to be small. We offer all our bedrooms with every confidence guests will be comfortable. Due to the age and nature of the building the majority of our bedrooms vary in size. The Worcester Wing of the hotel is the more modern layout but the rooms do not benefit from front facing views.

I was shocked to learn that the chocolates had been tampered with prior to your check in. I shall be personally speaking to the Housekeeping Supervisor who checked your room prior to your arrival. There can clearly be no excuse for this. Thank you for bringing this to my attention.

Thank you for you kind comments regarding the Morse Bar and your dinner in the restaurant. I know Andrew and the Morse Bar team will be delighted to learn of your comments.

I do hope that we can be of service to you in the future.