“Great room and a nice surprise” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Macdonald Randolph Hotel

Macdonald Randolph Hotel
Ranked #13 of 44 Hotels in Oxford
Northampton, United Kingdom
“Great room and a nice surprise”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2014

I stayed to celebrate a birthday and couldn't have asked for a better experience. The person who took my booking passed on that it was a special occasion and when we arrived we were upgraded a great suite (306) and there was a bottle of champagne and a bowl of fruit in the room as well, all complimentary.

Service was great from check in to check out, the little extras in the room such as a nespresso machine, moulton brown toiletries, etc are a nice touch. The views from the upper floors are amazing and the turndown service really added to the experience as well.

Breakfast the next day was delicious, although there was a bit of a wait. We went down at 9am on a Saturday which is obviously a very busy time and everything is cooked to order so quite understandable - the staff did a great job looking after us nonetheless.

Overall a great experience and I would definitely stay again and recommend it to others.

Room Tip: Room 306 - very large spacious suite with great views over st. Giles and Beaumont street.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Manager_Randolph, General Manager at Macdonald Randolph Hotel, responded to this review, 18 June 2014
Thank you posting a review. I was pleased to learn you enjoyed your stay with us. We are a perfect destination for a special occasion and I was glad that the team were able to recognize this. All our executive rooms and above offer a nespresso machine in the room and our classic rooms have cafetiere coffee.

We do get busy on a weekend during breakfast service and as you point out, our cooked breakfasts are made to order. We endeavour to offer a speedy breakfast service and I am sorry there was a delay.

I know the team will be most motivated by your comments. I do hope we can be of service to you again in the future.

Michael Grange

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (516)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Jersey, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2014

I have stayed once over the past several months and my son twice , simply because there is such a shortage of hotels in oxford , basically pretty shabby , overpriced , with a marvelous touch of arrogance ..... Just note £3 is added to each bill which most guests don't notice ..... Ah yes they tell you on enquiring " this is because you paid by credit card" .......what on earth do they expect me to carry !!? , they add £ 3 to a bill of £1000 plus to cover credit card .... now how devious is that , tell them what you think and it is rapidly removed, but really , how awful to sneaky treatment and will avoid simply because they tried it on .... Twice !

Room Tip: Suggest an alternative hotel !
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Bertie W
Manager_Randolph, General Manager at Macdonald Randolph Hotel, responded to this review, 4 June 2014
Thank you for posting a review. I am sorry that you were not aware of our credit administration fee of £3.00. This is applied to guest accounts if settled with a credit card. We clearly state this on all our booking channels and confirmation details. Use of debit cards or cash does not levy this charge. This is throughout Macdonald Hotels. I shall be passing your feedback to our Head Office. I am sorry that you found the hotel to be shabby and overpriced. We offer all our rooms with every confidence guests will be comfortable and regularly carry out refurbishment work at the hotel.

I do hope that despite the shortcomings we may have the pleasure of being of service to you again in the future.

London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2014

My partner and I treated ourselves to lunch at the (Macdonald) Randolph on 31 May 2014. We arrived early and had a delicious non-alcoholic cocktail in the Morse Bar, followed by an excellently presented and prepared three course lunch in the atmospheric restaurant. It was excellently located for a visit to the Ashmolean Museum, opposite. I'd chosen The Randolph for lunch given the recently poor reviews on TripAdvisor for the rooftop restaurant at the Ashmolean. We were certainly not disappointed by the Randolph, although at £91 for the two of us for lunch, including the cocktails, it's not something that most people could do every week.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for kind comments following your lunch with us at the hotel. We do offer formal dining in our restaurant for lunch at the weekend with views of The Ashmolean Museum and Martyr’s Memorial. We are currently striving for our third AA Rosette. I know the team will be delighted by your comments.

We hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the future.

Buckinghamshire
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2014

We stayed at the Randolph last week. What a disappointment! We arrived in a deluge and were informed of an upgrade. So far so good. However there was no heat in the room. When we informed Reception we were told to avail of a heater as the heat was turned off !!!! We were wet and cold and seeking sustenance. The lunch room had so availability so we had to resort to room service (a 40 minute wait). I was travelling with an elderly aunt. It was my treat to her. Never again.

I would expect while staying at a 5 star hotel to be able to regulate the heat. To provide none in May is an absolute disgrace.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank 736Helen
Thank you for taking the time to post a review. I am sorry that the weather was not good and that you were cold during your stay. Due to the age and nature of the building it can be difficult to regulate the heat. We have switched into our summer mode but there was a significant temperature drop. We offer portable heaters in all bedrooms and comfort cooling in the summer. I will be discussing your comments with the team and I am sorry for your discomfort. We are about to start significant improvement works on our heating infrastructure to assist with better temperature regulation. The lounge is very popular but we endeavour to seat resident guests and I am sorry that we could not during your stay.

I do hope that despite your comments we may be of service to you again in the future.

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2014

The hotel was ok, that is it. Pretty standard decor, pretty standard breakfast food (although service was poor and my poached egg was rock solid, I asked for a new one but that never came despite asking three people) and pretty standard everything else to be honest, for a hotel that aims to be the best in Oxford it's not good enough. An example is that that the mirrors in the bathroom aren't heated to avoid misting - a small point I know but you expect more from a hotel so grand. All in all, Ok, not great and not worth the price, I will try the Malmaison next time.

• Stayed June 2014
1 Thank Mikesamonster
Thank you for your email. I am sorry that you did not enjoy your stay with us. I will be discussing your comments at our weekly team meeting. We strive to offer the highest levels of comfort, cuisine and service and I am sorry that you did not live up to this ideal.

We are a traditional property right in the heart of the city and hold an AA 5 star rating. We are assessed on an annual basis.

I do hope that we may be of service to your again in the future.

Wilmington, North Carolina
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2014

The Randolph is your classic, slightly faded, Grande Dame hotel. You take an old hotel, in a densely packed city centre with strong preservation rules, and you end up with prices that seem outlandish for the standard of accommodation delivered.

So, it helps to set your expectations, and the first thing is that you have to consider the context. Yes, the Randolph is wildly expensive for the room size and finish- but look around: prices in Oxford are just plain high. And for central Oxford your choices dwindle rapidly. The Randolph is across the street from the front door of the Ashmolean, the closest (full service) hotel to quite a number of the Colleges, walking distance to so many of the things that you will be doing in Oxford.

Based on a several night stay in what is probably the smallest, least expensive room in the hotel:

Things that the Randolph does well:

1. Location
2. Bathrooms: strong, hot shower, good towel heater, great towels, good amenities (though if your eyes aren't good, figure out which is the shampoo before you get in the shower- when will Molton Brown learn!),

Things that weren't so good:

1. Wi-Fi. First, there are no obvious directions. If you go through the room book it tells you to call the front desk for the password. If you do that, the front desk tells you to sign up for The Cloud. Not hard (and free), and it turns out that The Cloud is useful in much of Oxford (which they don't tell you either) but really should be more obvious. A card near the phone is the usual way hotels deal with this. Second, at least in my little corner of the hotel, it was quite intermittent. The signal would randomly drop for a few minutes, and then would re-appear. I get that the hotel has lots of twists and turns, but a signal booster can help with that.

2. Decoration. Yes, I was in the room at the bottom of the food chain- but it is still supposed to be a high-end food chain. Three things said "el cheapo hotel": the headboard had a white 'bib', the way airlines used to do on the seat headrests; the tv stand/fridge box was early Ikea, completely out of keeping with the faux-antique furniture in the rest of the room; and one of the paintings on the wall was visibly screwed into the wall at the top and bottom (but the matching one wasn't- go figure).

I had no view at all- the one window looked out at a tangle of heating vents and some assorted scaffolding. I had no service issues (though I didn't love the 7:30am Saturday knock on the door from Housekeeping (my mistake for not putting the Do Not Disturb sign up I guess). I arrived well before 2 and the front desk was very accommodating about getting me into my room early.

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Kate3717
Thank you for taking the time to post a review. I was pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us. The hotel is indeed right in the heart of the city and in easy walking distance of all main attractions and colleges. Accommodation in Oxford is at a premium during busy periods. It is always best to book as far in advance as possible and checkout our website for special promotional offers. We offer all our rooms with every confidence guests will be comfortable. From your description I believe you were in one our classic rooms. Larger more spacious accommodation is available will executive bedrooms as well as a variety of suites.

The wi-fi at the hotel is operated by ‘The Cloud’ as is a far more superior service to our old system provided by BT Openzone. I am sorry that a leaflet was not in the bedroom. Guests create an account and can use ‘The Cloud’ services all over the city and indeed UK. The service is complimentary.

Being a city centre location and completely landlocked not all our bedrooms offer front facing views. We will endeavour to meet guest requests but cannot guarantee this. I am sorry that housekeeping knocked on your door at such an early hour and shall be speaking to my Head Housekeeper. This is not a normal problem that we have.

I do hope that we will be of service to you again in the future when your travel plans bring you back to the city of Oxford.

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

Looking for Basil Fawlty? Look no further than the Randolph in Oxford. You get such a good feeling on arrival from the outside but the cracks start to appear from check in. Rooms can be very small and a little all over the place but the staff try hard and the breakfast is pretty good. Could be so much better...the bar is so bad it is almost good...

Room Tip: Ask for one that is not a shoe box facing the kitchen extractor fan.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank DrGilds
Thank you for taking the time to post a review. I am sorry that you felt the bedrooms are on the small side. Here at the hotel we offer varying room types and tariffs and an executive room might be more suitable for your needs. Please be assured that we offer all our rooms with every confidence guests will be comfortable. Due to the age of the hotel, all our rooms very in shape and size. We do offer around 40 executive bedrooms in our Worcester Wing which are more contemporary and spacious built around 8 years a ago.

Our Morse Bar at the hotel is very popular so I was concerned by your comments. We offer a doubles bar with an extensive range of cocktails and drinks. The bar does get busy but is normally very well received by our guests and patrons of the hotel.

I do hope we may be of service to you again in the future.