“FABULOUS!”

Macdonald Randolph Hotel
Ranked #17 of 45 Hotels in Oxford
Reviewed 9 June 2014

We booked this hotel as it was the only one in Oxford with availablity on this particular weekend - After booking I read some of the reviews on this site - I was to say the least quite shocked and concerned as there are a lot of negative comments - I can honestly say hand on heart the negative reviews could not be further from the truth - this hotel is out of this world, immuclate and classy. ALL staff were friendly and pleasant, smart and very professional. Our room was spotless, roomy and very quiet. It was quiet a trek from reception but that did'nt matter. The cocktail bar is small but serves amazing cocktails. We had dinner in the restaurant which was delicious and I highy recommend this. I visited the spa (£15) per visit - maybe this should be free for paying guests... which I had all to myself at 9am Sunday morning - good quality spa with an ice room!! In a nut shell this hotel is five star all round with not one grumble. HIGHLY receommened for a treat and pamper and right in the heart of Oxford town centre. Please do NOT let the other reviews put you off - this hotel is AMAZING!

Room Tip: Room 78 is a excutive twin out of the way and very quiet.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Manager_Randolph, General Manager at Macdonald Randolph Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 June 2014

Thank you for kind review and I was delighted you enjoyed your stay with us. I know the team will be most motivated by your comments. I do hope we can be of service to you again in the future.

Yours sincerely,

Michael Grange

Write a ReviewReviews (3,361)

Reviewed 8 June 2014

We wanted somewhere special for our 30th wedding anniversary and The Randolph lived up to it's reputation. Marvellous staff, nothing was too much trouble and they went above and beyond their exceptionally high standards to make our stay special.

This is old england without being stuffy.

Room Tip: Central to Oxford so no need for car, just hand them your keys and they will valet park.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank louisepeds
Reviewed 8 June 2014 via mobile

My husband and I treated ourselves to a night at the Randolph Hotel as a celebration for our 10 anniversary, choosing a delux room.

Overall we had a fab time and certainly would recommend the hotel for its great location, good accommodation and helpful reception staff & concierges. I happened to mention at checkin the reason for our staff and we came back to find a complementary bottle of champagne in our room chilling in the afternoon.

However the breakfast service did let it down. I appreciate that it was busy however we were twice asked if we had placed an order for the cooked breakfast (we had) and it still took 45 mins for it to arrive, with no apology from the waiter. Not the service I would expect from a hotel the calibre of the Randolph, hence the reason why it's only got a 4 star rating on this occasion.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to post a review and I was pleased we could be a part of your wedding anniversary celebrations. The hotel is right in the heart of the city and is great place to visit for a weekend to see the beautiful historical buildings.

I was however sorry to learn that the breakfast service was below par. I will be discussing your comments with the team and thank you for bringing this to our attention. We strive to offer the highest levels of care and service and I am sorry that we have failed to live up to this ideal.

I do hope that we can be of service to you again in the future.

Reviewed 7 June 2014

Absolutely stunning. Great food, lovely room, friendly staff, quick service. Only down side is I feel some things are getting a little old and have a used feel. That said the bed was so comfortable I could have slept forever! What a wonderful experience. Thank you

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business

Thank you for your kind comments following your stay with us. The hotel is almost 150 years old and is very gothic in its style. We are starting our next phase of refurbishment work soon and thank you for letting me know that you found the bed to be very comfortable.

I do hope we can welcome you back to the hotel in the future.

Reviewed 7 June 2014

Chris is a SUPER cocktail maker! Great atmosphere in the MORSE BAR. We will certainly go back there! We did not stay in the Hotel, but we just went in for a cocktail. Since we are detective- addicts, we went to a lot of Pubs and Bars where Morse en Lewis and later Lewis and Hathaway are going for a drink.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family

Thank you your kind review. Chris in our Morse Bar is indeed a great cocktail maker. He will be delighted by your comments. The Morse Bar is a great location for a drink and often Colin Dexter the writer of Morse can be seen having a drink during the week.

Reviewed 5 June 2014

I am a trave agent in Uruguay and need help from the reservations department at this beautiful hotel. Mrs. Michelle Mayes listen to my predicament, and found a solution with no hesitation. I will reccomend staying here, specially because of the very good staff.
Amilcar Viñas - Montevideo Uruguay

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business

Thank you for your kind review and I was glad Michelle was able to assist. She is indeed a true asset at the hotel and I do hope we can be of service to you again in the future.

Reviewed 4 June 2014

I stayed to celebrate a birthday and couldn't have asked for a better experience. The person who took my booking passed on that it was a special occasion and when we arrived we were upgraded a great suite (306) and there was a bottle of champagne and a bowl of fruit in the room as well, all complimentary.

Service was great from check in to check out, the little extras in the room such as a nespresso machine, moulton brown toiletries, etc are a nice touch. The views from the upper floors are amazing and the turndown service really added to the experience as well.

Breakfast the next day was delicious, although there was a bit of a wait. We went down at 9am on a Saturday which is obviously a very busy time and everything is cooked to order so quite understandable - the staff did a great job looking after us nonetheless.

Overall a great experience and I would definitely stay again and recommend it to others.

Room Tip: Room 306 - very large spacious suite with great views over st. Giles and Beaumont street.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you posting a review. I was pleased to learn you enjoyed your stay with us. We are a perfect destination for a special occasion and I was glad that the team were able to recognize this. All our executive rooms and above offer a nespresso machine in the room and our classic rooms have cafetiere coffee.

We do get busy on a weekend during breakfast service and as you point out, our cooked breakfasts are made to order. We endeavour to offer a speedy breakfast service and I am sorry there was a delay.