“Fabulous location, excellent service, glorious hotel”

Macdonald Randolph Hotel
Ranked #15 of 44 Hotels in Oxford
Nuneaton, United Kingdom
“Fabulous location, excellent service, glorious hotel”
Reviewed 11 June 2014

Our stay was for our 15th wedding anniversary so we wanted to do something a little special and booked this hotel. Our first contact was the concierge who were so friendly and helpful it was unbelievable. On such a busy road it was a little disconcerting about where we parked etc. but they just took the problem right away and assisted us impeccably and took our bags for us. The reception staff were fabulous. So helpful friendly and welcoming. The room was exquisite and so very very comfortable and clean. The bed was probably the most comfortable hotel bed I have ever slept in. The room was very well equipped and we were most delighted at having a tea pot as we hate cups of tea with a tea bag in! It was like home from home. When it was discovered the kettle was not working, a replacement was brought to us within minutes. Excellent service, excellent location, the only thing that could have been improved is that I wish our stay had been a little longer! Time seemed to fly by too quickly. An exquisite and most memorable stay.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Rachael K
Manager_Randolph, General Manager at Macdonald Randolph Hotel, responded to this review, 18 June 2014
Thank you for kind review and I was pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us over your 15th Wedding Anniversary. The staff will be pleased by your comments. I am sorry the kettle was not working but however delighted that a replacement was bought at once.

Wishing you a happy anniversary and do hope we can of service to you again in the future.

Michael Grange

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (525)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Lymm, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 June 2014

Booked here for a one night stay to meet a friend. We did have a short wait to check in as the room wasn't quite ready but we had complimentary tea in the lounge while we waited. The room was very good, large, clean, very comfortable beds and with everything we needed including molton brown toiletries and a nespresso coffee machine. Staff were very pleasant and friendly and provided a high level of service to all our requests during our stay.
I had stayed here before but many years ago so very pleased to find it still very high quality accommodation. A superb location opposite the wonderful Ashmolean museum.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Thank you taking the time and trouble to post a review. I was pleased that we were able to live up to your expectations after your previous visit many years ago. The team will be delighted by your remarks. We have a very hardworking dedicated team at the hotel and I know they will be most motivated by your comments.

I hope we have the pleasure of being of service to you again in the future.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 June 2014

We booked this hotel as it was the only one in Oxford with availablity on this particular weekend - After booking I read some of the reviews on this site - I was to say the least quite shocked and concerned as there are a lot of negative comments - I can honestly say hand on heart the negative reviews could not be further from the truth - this hotel is out of this world, immuclate and classy. ALL staff were friendly and pleasant, smart and very professional. Our room was spotless, roomy and very quiet. It was quiet a trek from reception but that did'nt matter. The cocktail bar is small but serves amazing cocktails. We had dinner in the restaurant which was delicious and I highy recommend this. I visited the spa (£15) per visit - maybe this should be free for paying guests... which I had all to myself at 9am Sunday morning - good quality spa with an ice room!! In a nut shell this hotel is five star all round with not one grumble. HIGHLY receommened for a treat and pamper and right in the heart of Oxford town centre. Please do NOT let the other reviews put you off - this hotel is AMAZING!

Room Tip: Room 78 is a excutive twin out of the way and very quiet.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Thank you for kind review and I was delighted you enjoyed your stay with us. I know the team will be most motivated by your comments. I do hope we can be of service to you again in the future.

Yours sincerely,

High Wycombe, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 June 2014

We wanted somewhere special for our 30th wedding anniversary and The Randolph lived up to it's reputation. Marvellous staff, nothing was too much trouble and they went above and beyond their exceptionally high standards to make our stay special.

This is old england without being stuffy.

Room Tip: Central to Oxford so no need for car, just hand them your keys and they will valet park.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank louisepeds
England
Reviewed 8 June 2014 via mobile

My husband and I treated ourselves to a night at the Randolph Hotel as a celebration for our 10 anniversary, choosing a delux room.

Overall we had a fab time and certainly would recommend the hotel for its great location, good accommodation and helpful reception staff & concierges. I happened to mention at checkin the reason for our staff and we came back to find a complementary bottle of champagne in our room chilling in the afternoon.

However the breakfast service did let it down. I appreciate that it was busy however we were twice asked if we had placed an order for the cooked breakfast (we had) and it still took 45 mins for it to arrive, with no apology from the waiter. Not the service I would expect from a hotel the calibre of the Randolph, hence the reason why it's only got a 4 star rating on this occasion.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to post a review and I was pleased we could be a part of your wedding anniversary celebrations. The hotel is right in the heart of the city and is great place to visit for a weekend to see the beautiful historical buildings.

I was however sorry to learn that the breakfast service was below par. I will be discussing your comments with the team and thank you for bringing this to our attention. We strive to offer the highest levels of care and service and I am sorry that we have failed to live up to this ideal.

I do hope that we can be of service to you again in the future.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 June 2014

Absolutely stunning. Great food, lovely room, friendly staff, quick service. Only down side is I feel some things are getting a little old and have a used feel. That said the bed was so comfortable I could have slept forever! What a wonderful experience. Thank you

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for your kind comments following your stay with us. The hotel is almost 150 years old and is very gothic in its style. We are starting our next phase of refurbishment work soon and thank you for letting me know that you found the bed to be very comfortable.

I do hope we can welcome you back to the hotel in the future.

Purmerend, The Netherlands
Reviewed 7 June 2014

Chris is a SUPER cocktail maker! Great atmosphere in the MORSE BAR. We will certainly go back there! We did not stay in the Hotel, but we just went in for a cocktail. Since we are detective- addicts, we went to a lot of Pubs and Bars where Morse en Lewis and later Lewis and Hathaway are going for a drink.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Thank you your kind review. Chris in our Morse Bar is indeed a great cocktail maker. He will be delighted by your comments. The Morse Bar is a great location for a drink and often Colin Dexter the writer of Morse can be seen having a drink during the week.