“Be sure you do not book a single room”

Macdonald Randolph Hotel
Ranked #14 of 44 Hotels in Oxford
Mahopac, New York
“Be sure you do not book a single room”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2014

This hotel was built in the 1850's and is a typical English hotel. I was booked in as a single and got the 'monk's cell' for a room. There was barely room for me and my luggage and the room contained a single bed lined up against the wall. The bathroom was small and the tubs in England are narrow and tall. Figuring out how to work the shower and not getting the whole bathroom flooded with water is a challenge. The windows can be opened, but need to be propped open with something, otherwise they close. The double room they finally moved me to did seem to have A/C, but I wouldn't count on all the rooms having it. It didn't seem like the single room had A/C. While the hotel is well located across from the University, the staff are pleasant and try to accommodate you, it is not a five star hotel. For the price, I was very disappointed and would not stay there again.

Breakfast was OK, but nothing to write home about. The Morse Bar is lovely, but gets very crowded and then you cannot get a seat. The drinks are overpriced.

Room Tip: Book a double room and ask for one of the rooms looking over the college - Room ending in 2 or 3 suc...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Travelprincess63
Manager_Randolph, General Manager at Macdonald Randolph Hotel, responded to this review, 23 June 2014
Thank you taking the time to post a review. I am sorry that you were disappointed with your stay at the hotel. We offer various types of rooms at various tariff structures. We offer all our rooms that guests will be comfortable and I am sorry that the single option was too small and had maintenance issues that needed attending to.

Here at the hotel we offer comfort cooling in all guests’ bedrooms. These units are normally very reliable and help to keep the bedrooms cool.

The Morse Bar is very popular with our guests and does get busy. We do offer a lounge also in the evening for drinks and have an extensive list available in both outlets. We regularly carry out competitor pricing reviews to ensure we are in line with other establishments and I am sorry you found the drinks to be expensive. The Morse Bar is a doubles bar but single measures are of course available on request.

I do hope that we might have the pleasure of being of service to you again in the future where you can be assured of a very warm welcome.

Michael Grange

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (523)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
west midlands
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2014 via mobile

We stayed for one night at the macdonald randolph hotel.
I briefly mentioned in an email booking that we were staying for a birthday and there were a lovely box of chocolates and a note from the manager to kick off our celebration.
Room was lovely and clean. Very comfy beds.
Location is brilliant. The morse cocktail bar has two brilliant staff members - one Jose and they do make fabulous cocktails. Huge choice!
Only downside is probably the £30 for parking which feels a little pricey.
Also used the spa facilities as I booked my boyfriend in for a massage. We then used the saunas etc which were lovely but £15 each even if you have had treatments.
The concierge service booked us into a great Thai restaurant - Chang Mai which was lovely.
Overall a lovely stay thank you!

• Stayed June 2014
Manager_Randolph, General Manager at Macdonald Randolph Hotel, responded to this review, 18 June 2014
Thank you for your kind review following your stay for a birthday. Oxford is a great city to visit for a short break and we are right in the heart of the city opposite the famous Ashmolean Museum. Parking however is very limited. We charge £28.50 for valet parking and can assist with parking permits for the council car park when we are full which charges £30.00 for 24 hours. The best option is to use the many park and ride facilities and avoid the heavily congested city centre.

I do hope that we can be of service to you again in the future.

Palo Alto
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2014

What a treat. My husband and I stayed here for 8 nights and really were pleased with the central location, breakfast buffet and hot cooked breakfast, afternoon teas and the excellent concierge service. Neil Cowen, head concierge, is knowledgeable about the city, tours, and the array of restaurants the city has to offer. Everything is first rate--clean, professional, and welcoming. The small gym satisfied my husband's need for a daily workout and the pub and tea rooms added wonderful atmosphere.

We'd stay there again on future trips.

Room Tip: Room that doesn't face either street are quiet.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Marie E
Thank you for your kind review. The hotel team will be delighted by your comments. We do have a very knowledgeable concierge at the hotel on hand to arrange items for our guests. The Randolph boasts a beautiful lounge for afternoon tea (pre-booking essential) and houses a collection of Osbert Lancaster paintings.
The spa at the hotel was built in the old cellar and has a mini-gym as well as thermal suite and fully trained therapists who offer a range of Elemis and Jessica treatments.

I do hope that we can be of service to you again in the future.

Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2014

We stayed here in June 2014 and were very disappointed. In general, the reception staff were very rude and unhelpful. Every time we asked a lady at the reception a question she pulled a dissatisfied faced and pointed at the concierge saying: "There". Concierge, however, was very friendly and helpful and so were the bar staff.

The room was ok, however we had the worst sleep ever. The floor boards in that hotel creak something shocking. We could constantly hear people above us walking and it kept us awake for hours...the boards were making extremely loud squeaking sound. It was impossible to walk around quietly, no matter how hard one would try. The bed was extremely hard and uncomfortable. Breakfast was very poor, as well. Not enough fresh fruit and they only served one poached egg per person...which was ridiculous for the price of the breakfast and frankly not enough.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to post a review. I was very perturbed to learn that you found the reception staff to be rude. This is not the normal feedback I receive and I shall be discussing your comments with the team and thank you for bringing them to our attention.

Please be assured that all your comments will be discussed to ensure that we are offering the highest levels of guest care and comfort here at the Randolph Hotel.

I do hope that we might have the pleasure of being of service to you again in the future.

Nuneaton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2014

Our stay was for our 15th wedding anniversary so we wanted to do something a little special and booked this hotel. Our first contact was the concierge who were so friendly and helpful it was unbelievable. On such a busy road it was a little disconcerting about where we parked etc. but they just took the problem right away and assisted us impeccably and took our bags for us. The reception staff were fabulous. So helpful friendly and welcoming. The room was exquisite and so very very comfortable and clean. The bed was probably the most comfortable hotel bed I have ever slept in. The room was very well equipped and we were most delighted at having a tea pot as we hate cups of tea with a tea bag in! It was like home from home. When it was discovered the kettle was not working, a replacement was brought to us within minutes. Excellent service, excellent location, the only thing that could have been improved is that I wish our stay had been a little longer! Time seemed to fly by too quickly. An exquisite and most memorable stay.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Rachael K
Thank you for kind review and I was pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us over your 15th Wedding Anniversary. The staff will be pleased by your comments. I am sorry the kettle was not working but however delighted that a replacement was bought at once.

Wishing you a happy anniversary and do hope we can of service to you again in the future.

Lymm, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2014

Booked here for a one night stay to meet a friend. We did have a short wait to check in as the room wasn't quite ready but we had complimentary tea in the lounge while we waited. The room was very good, large, clean, very comfortable beds and with everything we needed including molton brown toiletries and a nespresso coffee machine. Staff were very pleasant and friendly and provided a high level of service to all our requests during our stay.
I had stayed here before but many years ago so very pleased to find it still very high quality accommodation. A superb location opposite the wonderful Ashmolean museum.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Thank you taking the time and trouble to post a review. I was pleased that we were able to live up to your expectations after your previous visit many years ago. The team will be delighted by your remarks. We have a very hardworking dedicated team at the hotel and I know they will be most motivated by your comments.

I hope we have the pleasure of being of service to you again in the future.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2014

We booked this hotel as it was the only one in Oxford with availablity on this particular weekend - After booking I read some of the reviews on this site - I was to say the least quite shocked and concerned as there are a lot of negative comments - I can honestly say hand on heart the negative reviews could not be further from the truth - this hotel is out of this world, immuclate and classy. ALL staff were friendly and pleasant, smart and very professional. Our room was spotless, roomy and very quiet. It was quiet a trek from reception but that did'nt matter. The cocktail bar is small but serves amazing cocktails. We had dinner in the restaurant which was delicious and I highy recommend this. I visited the spa (£15) per visit - maybe this should be free for paying guests... which I had all to myself at 9am Sunday morning - good quality spa with an ice room!! In a nut shell this hotel is five star all round with not one grumble. HIGHLY receommened for a treat and pamper and right in the heart of Oxford town centre. Please do NOT let the other reviews put you off - this hotel is AMAZING!

Room Tip: Room 78 is a excutive twin out of the way and very quiet.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Thank you for kind review and I was delighted you enjoyed your stay with us. I know the team will be most motivated by your comments. I do hope we can be of service to you again in the future.

Yours sincerely,